2023 Free Agency thread

13 minutes ago, happyrid said:

I am still hoping they can sign a Perine replacement at some point and use the draft pick to replace Mixon as the main ball carrier and the long-term solution moving forward. 

There is really not alot out there on the FA market for RBs

1 hour ago, BlackJesus said:

Now that the cubbard is bare for outsiders, I wish the Bengals would at least bring back Tre Flowers, as I think he is a key piece of the defense for covering TEs (his specialty). 

I'm hoping they get him and Eli Apple back, I know people hate his tweeting, but your not going to find a better corner for the price we pay him.

23 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

I'm hoping they get him and Eli Apple back, I know people hate his tweeting, but your not going to find a better corner for the price we pay him.

It depends on his asking price, he probably wants more money than he's been getting lately and I understand that. 

4 hours ago, Jamie_B said:

There is really not alot out there on the FA market for RBs

True, running out of options. Zeke, Kareem Hunt, Jerick McKinnon, Leonard Fournette are all 27 or older but may have another year left in them. 

I also think there is going to be more movement at RB later in the offseason once we get through the draft. There are a bunch of draftable RBs this year and we aren't the only team sitting on a guy (Mixon) who could be a post-draft cut. 

I thought we'd have Perine or somebody roughly on his level under contract already, so I am surprised at how quiet the Bengals have been at RB. 

5 hours ago, happyrid said:

True, running out of options. Zeke, Kareem Hunt, Jerick McKinnon, Leonard Fournette are all 27 or older but may have another year left in them. 

I also think there is going to be more movement at RB later in the offseason once we get through the draft. There are a bunch of draftable RBs this year and we aren't the only team sitting on a guy (Mixon) who could be a post-draft cut. 

I thought we'd have Perine or somebody roughly on his level under contract already, so I am surprised at how quiet the Bengals have been at RB. 

Makes me think they're counting on the draft, probably taking one early and one late. If that doesn't shake out they roll with Mixon.

9 hours ago, happyrid said:

Later after draft you said.

That's right..

17 hours ago, happyrid said:

Only way I would consider Fournette is if I saw him step on a scale.  He still has skills, IMO, but obviously likes to eat.  He's another big video gamer too.  One of my son's friends ended up playing a bunch of Fortnight with him back when he was with the Jaguars.

3 hours ago, claptonrocks said:

Bengals should prioritize RT ..TE..CB...SS..

Add or upgrade those areas and their set right for a SB run..

I think they are comfortable with where they are at at S, and this is not a good draft for Safties. I'd switch SS for RB to replace Perine, but otherwise, I agree with you.

Top Free Agent matches left at every position

QB: Teddy Bridgewater-I was surprised as anyone that we went after Cooper Rush. I assumed they would just land back with Brandon Allen. Bridgewater has 65 career starts, a career 90.5 passer rating with 75 tds and 47 ints. Allen is fine but Bridgewater is probably a top 40 NFL QB who can win games in a pinch. I am not sure how much his college ties to Louisville will matter.

RB: Kareem Hunt-I keep landing on Hunt. He will be 28 in August but he has high school and college ties to Ohio. He has to be hungry to have a greater role and he has been a solid pass catcher.

WR: Chris Moore-There are 3 guys who I think could start in the slot for us in Richie James, Jarvis Landry and Olimade Zaccheaus. Zaccheaus would be perfect on a long term, inexpensive deal as an inside outside depth piece this year and the slot starter next year. BUT I don't think that's what they want for this year. So I pivot to Chris Moore. Moore is a former UC grad who can also play inside outside based on snaps and size, can play teams, is 30 but coming off his best year of 48-548-2. He can effectively backup all 3 spots and play teams. 

TE: Irv Smith-Smith had very effective first and second years before his 3rd year was stopped due to injury and his 4th year was ineffective due to coming off the injury and backing up TJ Hockenson. He is the best of what's left. 

Center: Matt Skura-73 career starts at Center, and both Right and Left Guard. Would provide the necessary depth for the interior. 

Guard: Dalton Risner-We wanted to draft him 4 years ago. He would immediately compete with Volson at LG. He might be the best of the FA class left. 

Tackle: Cameron Fleming-Started 15 games for the Broncos last year and has 61 career starts. Experience at both LT and RT mean he has value as a  swing tackle as well. 

Defensive tackle: Matt Ioannidis-Had we signed him day 1 I would have been happy. Perfect mix of high motor and production. Matches well with what we already have. 

Defensive End: Yannick Ngakoue-I have no expectation that we will add him but it's hard to beat a guy who had 9.5 sacks, 23 hurries and was coached by Hobby. 

Note: If you are targeting a DE in the draft I think that's bad value. We have 4 locks at DE...we need a 5th primary pass rusher. The market is flooded with them. Who is left: Jadaveon Clowney, Kyle Van Noy, Frank Clark, Leonard Floyd, Markus Golden, Bud Dupree, Ngakoue, Justin Houston, Melvin Ingram, Carl Nassib, Carlos Dunlap, Rasheem Greene, Dante Fowler, Jason Pierre Paul, Robert Quinn, Mario Edwards, Mario Addison

Linebacker: Blake Cashman-We don't need anyone to play in the defensive rotation but Cashman has a ton of experience on special teams and we could always use guys there. 

Safety: Adrian Amos-We went from 172 career starts at the position to 19. We need a veteran in the room. Amos has 122 starts, is versatile enough that he played 443 snaps at FS, 370 in the box and 140 in the slot. The Bonus is he was a captain for the Packers and we lost our captain in Bell. 

Corner Back: Eli Apple-This one is easy. Apple isn't great but he is good enough and knows the defense well. 

9 hours ago, Jamie_B said:

I think they are comfortable with where they are at at S, and this is not a good draft for Safties. I'd switch SS for RB to replace Perine, but otherwise, I agree with you.

Im good with Hill and Scott but an injury with an old and an injury prone backups

looks like a catastrophe waiting to happen..

58 minutes ago, claptonrocks said:

Im good with Hill and Scott but an injury with an old and an injury prone backups

looks like a catastrophe waiting to happen..

Even if we had kept Bell I think the plan was always to let Anderson be the 3rd guy

1 hour ago, MichaelWeston said:

I think with Bell Anderson made a lot of sense as the 3rd guy. With Scott he doesn't as much. Need a veteran. 

Why? Scott is basically playing the same role Bell would have played. At some point you have to give the young guys reps or they never grow into their roles

1 hour ago, Jamie_B said:

Why? Scott is basically playing the same role Bell would have played. At some point you have to give the young guys reps or they never grow into their roles

Scott has 16 career starts. He might project to the same role but is certainly nowhere near as reliable. Getting a veteran in that room can't hurt anything. 

9 hours ago, MichaelWeston said:

Scott has 16 career starts. He might project to the same role but is certainly nowhere near as reliable. Getting a veteran in that room can't hurt anything. 

I have no idea if he is going to be as good as Bell was, in fact, I expect that the position is going to drop off at least initially while both he and Dax learn to play together and while he learns the system. But bringing in another vet to do what? They are committed to Scott as the starter and Anderson as the 3rd guy. Any vet they bring in will not want to be that low on the depth chart.

50 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

I have no idea if he is going to be as good as Bell was, in fact, I expect that the position is going to drop off at least initially while both he and Dax learn to play together and while he learns the system. But bringing in another vet to do what? They are committed to Scott as the starter and Anderson as the 3rd guy. Any vet they bring in will not want to be that low on the depth chart.

There are too many veterans for the potential starting spots out there. A veteran would want to come in and play for a contender. I don't think they are committed to Anderson as the 3rd guy. 

Just now, MichaelWeston said:

There are too many veterans for the potential starting spots out there. A veteran would want to come in and play for a contender. I don't think they are committed to Anderson as the 3rd guy. 

I do. 

Archived