2023 Free Agency thread

18 minutes ago, IKOTA said:

I completely agree. Find Higgins’ replacement. Just not this year. Next year ideally with one of the 2 1st Rd picks bengals receive in exchange for him. The thing is, he’s still under Bengals control for another 2 years at least if that’s how the bengals choose to proceed.   

I would not be surprised if they tagged Higgins next year.

1 hour ago, claptonrocks said:

In negotiations with him but his agent is playing ticky tack with them on a couple extra mil per.

So that's not happening  but still feel they .can sign him..

Did you read something or is this speculation?

19 hours ago, claptonrocks said:

Maybe the Bears will trade for Jonah.

Their oline is in shambles .

Id think a 4th by them plus his salary would do it..

If he stays he could fight for a RT or LG spot.

No other options.

We say he'd play bad at RT but who really knows until he actually does?

Id like to move on from him but if he stays and plays he'll have to earn it now..

Bears seem set at LT with Jones. They need a RT but Jonah doesn't want to play there. Bears could have gone after Orlando Brown if they wanted a new LT.

17 hours ago, stryker57 said:

so we want a RB that can block and receive 1st and 2nd?  , and then run?  that sounds pretty dumb the #1 thing defenses want to do is make you 1 dimensional and you want that to be our plan going in?  pass pass pass and if it works we  run up the score , then put your recieving and clocking rb in and go 3 and out?  let defenses stop our run game while running nickels and dimes? and  blitz all day?? 

no... just draft a 2nd or 3rd day RB , run Mixon this year , what we really need is a 285 lb brusier rb with a true FB and beat the hell outta the defenses then play action off that. 

lets be realistic, some here want to cut players .. shave cap here and there to gain an extra couple  mil or ten and then sign back players to fill in what you cut. 

The bengals just dont work this way. 

we lost payers, but we ended up (somehow) with the top LT in free agency .

be happy

We need 2 RBs, one to replace Perine and one to replace Mixon. They don't have to be the same body type or have the same skill set.

17 hours ago, T-Dub said:

Much as I enjoyed watching that 20+ years ago, it's not remotely the style of offense being run here. This is a pass-first team as long as JB is here, just like pretty much every other team in the modern NFL is trying to be.. When was the last time they even carried a FB on the 53? 

Mixon, again, has been an average RB but is set to earn top 5 money. Average can be had for much less.

It's even worse than that. Mixon was below average on ypc last year and near the bottom on the fabled elusiveness rating. He did pretty well at pass catching but can't block to save his (or Burrow's) life.

1 hour ago, claptonrocks said:

Lets say his agent is asking for at least 2yr 15mil 7.5 per deal..

Bengals may offer 2yr 11mil 5.5 deal.

Agent would receive 550k instead of 750 at 5%..

He wants that 750k deal..

Does Moreau really want to play with this offense and a SB shot  or just a few more mil from anyone?

Agent fees from contracts are capped at 3%. They can get a higher % of marketing deals if they handle those.

47 minutes ago, IKOTA said:

The fact that he’s a disruptive force, plays with tenacity and is immensely talented. Add that Reader and Hill both FAs in the next year and year after, DLine is a huge need. It’s also a premium position. I know for sure they love Bresee. 

It's not a huge need. Bengals have 4 pretty good starters, 3 pretty good backups, and 4 more guys who played a good bit last year without being liabilities. Sure we can bump Gunther or Tufele off the roster but we don't really need more D-linemen for 2023. 

37 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

I'd be happy with DL early. Can't neglect the defense.

In fact this may sound sacrilegious but I'd be ok with drafting a replacement for Higgins as well. I'm not sure we can afford him in the long term and I don't think he's as irreplaceable as fans seem to think. Other teams are going to offer him WR1 money. I don't think we should match that.

That's why we should extend him this offseason. He'll be cheaper now and he's in his prime. He'd be the clear WR1 on more than half the teams in the league. I bet he'd take 4/80 with a 15 mil signing bonus this summer added on to his current deal. 

2 hours ago, T-Dub said:

Agents get a % of the total figure right? So they dgaf about guaranteed money or team options or any of that shit? Sure seems like a lot of these guys just want the big number and who cares if their client only realistically sees 5 out of that 50 mil. 

I would think an agent surely cares about guaranteed money.  If a player gets cut down the road they don't get paid  either.

1 hour ago, sparky151 said:

That's why we should extend him this offseason. He'll be cheaper now and he's in his prime. He'd be the clear WR1 on more than half the teams in the league. I bet he'd take 4/80 with a 15 mil signing bonus this summer added on to his current deal.

Seems like too much money to have tied up in a WR2 with so many guys hitting FA over the next 2 years. We can't keep everyone.

yes, we'll have to reload on defense with Awuzie, Reader, and Hendrickson nearing the end of their current deals. But we can certainly afford to pay the offensive stars, Burrow, Chase, and Higgins. Wilson too. 

If Higgins were a free agent this offseason, he'd probably get 23 mil per year. But he's under contract at a cheap rate for this year and can easily be tagged next year. So 20 mil per year is a pretty good deal for both player and team. 

6 hours ago, Jamie_B said:

Did you read something or is this speculation?

Just read on the other Bengals board, that Foster Monreau .has non hodgkins lymphoma.His football career is over.The Saints had him take a physical,and thats how they found out.

Just now, stan said:

Just read on the other Bengals board, that Foster Monreau .has non hodgkins lymphoma.His football career is over.The Saints had him take a physical,and thats how they found out.

Sorry,did not see that some one already posted about it.

17 minutes ago, stan said:

According to his own post Monreau has Hodgkin's Lymphoma.  Makes a difference.  His football career may not be over.  Mario Lemieux returned to hockey after Hodgkin's Lymphoma. 

9 hours ago, claptonrocks said:

Lets say his agent is asking for at least 2yr 15mil 7.5 per deal..

Bengals may offer 2yr 11mil 5.5 deal.

Agent would receive 550k instead of 750 at 5%..

He wants that 750k deal..

Does Moreau really want to play with this offense and a SB shot  or just a few more mil from anyone?

I believe NFL agents are capped at 3% of a players salary, but when it comes to endorsements they can get up to 20%. 

4 hours ago, Jamie_B said:

The reason he has not signed with anyone.....

I've checked here several times today to see if Moreau had signed.  Now I really wish he had been able to sign with the Bengals (or the Saints and didn't have to fight this horrendous disease.  Prayers all goes his way.

11 hours ago, T-Dub said:

I'd be happy with DL early. Can't neglect the defense.

In fact this may sound sacrilegious but I'd be ok with drafting a replacement for Higgins as well. I'm not sure we can afford him in the long term and I don't think he's as irreplaceable as fans seem to think. Other teams are going to offer him WR1 money. I don't think we should match that.

I dont want to breakup Joe Tee and Chase..

Not this year anyway..

But..

Its business though..If they find the right offer it could happen..

Top 15 pick would satisfy them..

10 hours ago, sparky151 said:

Bears seem set at LT with Jones. They need a RT but Jonah doesn't want to play there. Bears could have gone after Orlando Brown if they wanted a new LT.

We need 2 RBs, one to replace Perine and one to replace Mixon. They don't have to be the same body type or have the same skill set.

It's even worse than that. Mixon was below average on ypc last year and near the bottom on the fabled elusiveness rating. He did pretty well at pass catching but can't block to save his (or Burrow's) life.

Agent fees from contracts are capped at 3%. They can get a higher % of marketing deals if they handle those.

It's not a huge need. Bengals have 4 pretty good starters, 3 pretty good backups, and 4 more guys who played a good bit last year without being liabilities. Sure we can bump Gunther or Tufele off the roster but we don't really need more D-linemen for 2023. 

What's his current deal for this year?

He'd accept this years salary plus 4 at 80?

Over the 5 yr span he"d lose millions.

Archived