Keeping our enemies close: 2023

1 hour ago, Le Tigre said:

This is not only an NFL slanting issue, it has been spreading to basically every major professional sport—even in European soccer.

I will submit that it is not as simple as the universal referee(s) incompetence. It would be illogical to conclude that many worldwide officials are that collectively bad at the same time. 

Comical to suggest that pro NFL refs are incapable of calling a game to the standard of the average highschool volunteer officials.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Le Tigre said:

In the old world of sports—especially such as the NHL—it was understood that officials would swallow their whistles in the 3rd Period if the scores were close. Only a total 1st Degree assault would be called. Now—much like the rest of professional sports—they will call anything/anytime in the 3rd…even if it gives a power play in the last two minutes. That never happened not that many years ago. 

The only consistency anymore, is that calls will be made at key times of any contest—especially the important games. 

NHL refs used to try to keep things close on penalties unless one team was really out of line.  That all blew up a few years ago when a ref on a hot mike was heard telling a bench "I'm looking for something to call on "team X."  He was immediately fired.  If I'm a ref I think I would get the message. 

• Upvote 1

The fuckery in the Jets game last night was egregious. Ref doesn’t even throw the flag for holding until Carter makes the pick. Like a whole 3 seconds after the controversial holding (by Sauce) actually occurred.  Absolutely no defending it or the non holding call on Chiefs OLineman on #11 of Jets. 

But the NFL makes fun of scripts on a few commercials and the brain dead eat that shit up like “see, it’s 100% integrity!!!!” in the NFL. Otherwise why would they make commercials mocking it?  

• Upvote 5

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/kevin-stefanski-deshaun-watson-medically-191005234.html

Kevin Stefanski: Deshaun Watson was medically cleared, but he didn't feel he could go

Browns quarterback Deshaun Watson was the one who made the decision not to play on Sunday.

Asked if Watson was medically cleared to play in Sunday's loss to the Ravens, Browns head coach Kevin Stefanski answered, “Yes."

So why didn't Watson play? Stefanski said Watson didn't believe his injured shoulder was ready.

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, Le Tigre said:

In the old world of sports—especially such as the NHL—it was understood that officials would swallow their whistles in the 3rd Period if the scores were close. Only a total 1st Degree assault would be called. Now—much like the rest of professional sports—they will call anything/anytime in the 3rd…even if it gives a power play in the last two minutes. That never happened not that many years ago. 

The only consistency anymore, is that calls will be made at key times of any contest—especially the important games. 

The NHL refs still park the whistles as the season progresses and they dissapear in the playoffs. These days they call ticky tacky slashing (stick on stick) but dont call obvious cross0-checking. 

In some respects, I think the major sports leagues LOVE the inconsistent refs. It gives fans talking points and bitching points between games. It keeps the games and leagues in the fan's minds so to speak.

17 hours ago, High School Harry said:

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/kevin-stefanski-deshaun-watson-medically-191005234.html

Kevin Stefanski: Deshaun Watson was medically cleared, but he didn't feel he could go

Browns quarterback Deshaun Watson was the one who made the decision not to play on Sunday.

Asked if Watson was medically cleared to play in Sunday's loss to the Ravens, Browns head coach Kevin Stefanski answered, “Yes."

So why didn't Watson play? Stefanski said Watson didn't believe his injured shoulder was ready.

That is step one of Stefanski going out the door.  You don't throw your $230 million dollar QB under the bus.  That's the kind of stuff Zac Taylor gets right.  He takes the heat and protects his players.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, UncleEarl said:

That is step one of Stefanski going out the door.  You don't throw your $230 million dollar QB under the bus.  That's the kind of stuff Zac Taylor gets right.  He takes the heat and protects his players.

Agree.

The Elves motto in the off season, if not sooner, will be "May the Schwartz be with You".

55 minutes ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

The NHL refs still park the whistles as the season progresses and they dissapear in the playoffs. These days they call ticky tacky slashing (stick on stick) but dont call obvious cross0-checking. 

In some respects, I think the major sports leagues LOVE the inconsistent refs. It gives fans talking points and bitching points between games. It keeps the games and leagues in the fan's minds so to speak.

Reminds me of the old saying “Any publicity is good publicity” 

Or as the profoundly deep philosopher from Atlanta who goes by the name B.O.B. says “whether they praise you, or they hate you, it’s about the attention that they pay you”. 

1 hour ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

Agreed, but there's an even bigger benefit once inconsistency is tolerated or even accepted - now you can tilt the game and you can *always* chalk it up to the volatility inherent in the "will they or won't they [blow the whistle]?"... "what are you whining about, we didn't get [the other call that time]?"... "you just have to play through it, can't control the refs"... etc and so on.

Can you imagine a person who has spent their entire career/life in football thinking John Ross was valued higher as a football player than Patrick Mahomes? That’s what stubbornness gets you. Didn’t want to upset Andy Dalton or hurt his feelings so let’s draft the fragile WR from Washington vs a dynamic QB in Mahomes. 

Thanks Marvin.  

• Upvote 3

36 minutes ago, IKOTA said:

Can you imagine a person who has spent their entire career/life in football thinking John Ross was valued higher as a football player than Patrick Mahomes? That’s what stubbornness gets you. Didn’t want to upset Andy Dalton or hurt his feelings so let’s draft the fragile WR from Washington vs a dynamic QB in Mahomes. 

Thanks Marvin.  

They had other chances to grabbqbs also barely teddy bridgewater and Lamar Jackson 

On 10/1/2023 at 3:59 PM, BlackJesus said:

You never root for injuries in football, although it's understandable if you feel not-so-bad if one happens to someone who has caused intentional injuries to other players, or if it happens to a member of a team whose management and coaching staff are notorious for promoting that behavior.

chubbknee.jpg    palmerknee.jpg

The Stealers lost their QB to a knee injury this week, which is absolutely karma-filled.

It's okay to NOT cry about it.

• Upvote 2

On 9/29/2023 at 6:13 PM, Shebengal said:

But the Ravens don’t have a division loss yet and both teams right now have the tiebreaker on us. 

I guess it’s pick your poison. ☠️

We're done so far as winning the division. The best we can hope for is to snag a WC spot now

• Upvote 1