Keeping our enemies close: 2023

2 hours ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

Mark Davis is to Al Davis what Mike Brown is to Paul Brown

Mark Davis needs to let his daughters/grandaughters run the show! (Not sure he has any and likely not as bright as the Blackburn gals)

Or Davis could choose one of his many girlfriends.😎..

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

Mark Davis is to Al Davis what Mike Brown is to Paul Brown

Mark Davis needs to let his daughters/grandaughters run the show! (Not sure he has any and likely not as bright as the Blackburn gals)

No, Mark Davis at least hired a GM...a sorry one, but at least he hired one. That's all we wanted Mike Brown to do all these years

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Sea Ray said:

No, Mark Davis at least hired a GM...a sorry one, but at least he hired one. That's all we wanted Mike Brown to do all these years

It all started when Paul Brown hired his longtime Coach and friend Tiger Johnson instead of offering the job to Bill Walsh instead offering the OC job.

Forrest and Sam made them interesting

A series of bad coaching until Marvin..

.It's Zach Taylors turn to set his legacy here.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Sea Ray said:

He has been a Godsend but he's not the GM. He doesn't make the draft picks, make the trades or negotiate the contracts as I understand it

I'm not sure of any other team that coaches don't have input to the GM in the same manner that they do here with Duke. I'm also not sure that other teams ownership doesn't do contract negotiations the same way that Katie Blackburn does?

I think you are hung up on the GM vs Director of Player Personal titles. I'm not sure that Duke doesn't do anything or not have any responsibilities that a normal GM doesn't.

He's also been here since 1999, so even before Marvin Lewis. Meaning as good as he has drafted lately, he's also had some pretty bad drafts too.

Personally I subscribe much of our  success to Marvin insisting we do some things that other modern franchises do, when he was here. Marvin may have been a mid-tier head coach, but he helped get this organization into the 21st century.

• Upvote 3

I at least hope that Watson can play the following week against Baltimore. I know he isn't great but he still gives the Browns the best shot at upsetting the Ravens in Baltimore. I at least want the Browns to make the Ravens work for a win, with the Bengals coming into Baltimore that Thursday in a short turnaround week. Baltimore is already 6-2 and now gets to play 3 consecutive home games.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Jamie_B said:

I'm not sure of any other team that coaches don't have input to the GM in the same manner that they do here with Duke. I'm also not sure that other teams ownership doesn't do contract negotiations the same way that Katie Blackburn does?

I think you are hung up on the GM vs Director of Player Personal titles. I'm not sure that Duke doesn't do anything or not have any responsibilities that a normal GM doesn't.

He's also been here since 1999, so even before Marvin Lewis. Meaning as good as he has drafted lately, he's also had some pretty bad drafts too.

Personally I subscribe much of our  success to Marvin insisting we do some things that other modern franchises do, when he was here. Marvin may have been a mid-tier head coach, but he helped get this organization into the 21st century.

I listed the duties that Duke doesn't have...contract negotiations, trades ...don't know what his role is with the draft. Best to have both a director of Player Personnel and a GM. 

2 minutes ago, Sea Ray said:

I listed the duties that Duke doesn't have...contract negotiations, trades ...don't know what his role is with the draft. Best to have both a director of Player Personnel and a GM. 

Why do you think that Duke doesn't deal with trades? Or that other GMs do contract negotiations? 

12 hours ago, Jamie_B said:

💯

He may not have been able to get them over the hump but this franchise was an afterthought until Marv got here. Maybe if he didn't have to fight and beg for every change or constantly have his authority undermined by Mikey's Redeeming bullshit he could've done a lot more. Dude just got burnt out & it took the team a few years too long to do something about it.

6 hours ago, T-Dub said:

this franchise was an afterthought until Marv got here.

And when it was thought about, the franchise was a laughingstock. There are a few folks here who personally endured the ‘90’s teams. The smallest scraps of positivity were like water in the desert. 

I still have my 2005 AFC North Champions hat. It’s my reminder of just how long it took for this franchise to become even relevant again. And like him or not, Marvin Lewis built that. 

• Like 2

^ Marvin Lewis resurrected the Bengals, hence why he was branded "BlackJesus" (my forum namesake). 

I am sure he gets a sense of accomplishment from the recent success, knowing he helped lay the organizational foundation that is here. I think nearly all fans would love to see him come back as a Ruler of the Jungle or be involved with something, as there are no hard feelings. 

s-l1600.jpg

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, High School Harry said:

And Pittsburgh pulls one out of their wazoo in the 4th quarter for a W

20-16 vs the Titans and a rook qb.

Damn!

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/studs-duds-Stealers-thrilling-win-041544596.html

Upside...

Dud - CB Joey Porter Jr

This was an ugly performance by the rookie. His unwillingness to tackle is still a problem and his lack of strength really showed. But just as bad were the penalties and sloppy play.

Dud - QB Kenny Pickett

We cannot excuse how poorly Kenny Pickett played on his rib injury because he’s been missing these easy throws all year long. There doesn’t seem to be much growth by Pickett in terms of his touch and even his velocity isn’t where you would like to see it.

Dud - CB Patrick Peterson

You hate to see both your starting cornerbacks on this list but Peterson had a game just as disappointing as Porter did. The Stealers tried to move him inside and at safety but he doesn’t seem very comfortable in either position.

Dud - WR George Pickens

At some point, George Pickens is going to have to figure out how to get targets when being double-teamed. Pickens gets by on his raw athleticism but he’s going to have to really work on the polish in his routes and play with more suddenness before he gets the football if he wants to beat those double teams.
  • Upvote 1