Walter Payton or Barry Sanders couldn't have gained yards with Flounder getting owned by future used car dealers and driven backwards. 

Chase Brown will be just fine. The one time he got space on the catch he showed amazing burst. 

To judge a RB, you need to see them behind their actual OL ... not 5 schlubs who they will never run behind. 

• Like 1

man my brain was a big wonky as turns out i had some health issues i didnt know about last season, and i cant remember random stuff, but i recall someone broke down some tendencies of inconsistency with Evans, i think it was his pass protection and then his routes or running paths were all over the place, like he freestyles shit too much like its still high school. 

but i dont want to say thats it if im wrong. 

anyone remember anything like that?

i think i remember some big paly he made catching a ball across the middle in the playoffs or against KC or something they he ran wrong but worked out and someone mentioned it postgame.

sorry my brain was shit.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, GoBengals said:

man my brain was a big wonky as turns out i had some health issues i didnt know about last season, and i cant remember random stuff, but i recall someone broke down some tendencies of inconsistency with Evans, i think it was his pass protection and then his routes or running paths were all over the place, like he freestyles shit too much like its still high school. 

but i dont want to say thats it if im wrong. 

anyone remember anything like that?

i think i remember some big paly he made catching a ball across the middle in the playoffs or against KC or something they he ran wrong but worked out and someone mentioned it postgame.

sorry my brain was shit.

Vs KC last year regular season he scored on a short pass

12 hours ago, PatternMaster said:

So 1.5 ypc is a good thing...got it. Brown is smart because he ran into a pile of defenders...that makes sense. 

I've never seen a fan base and try to diminish the accomplishments of one their own players...Joe Goodberry on Twitter calling out holding penalties to talk shit about Evans is a clown move. 

How do you know that to be a fact, are you in the meeting rooms with the RBs? Of course not, everyone acting like they are a RB coach to diagnose Evan's play and criticize him is laughable. 

No more laughable than you praising him.  There has to be a reason for why the team hasn't put a guy this talented in the game.  He looks good with the ball in his hands.  Maybe the problem is when the ball isn't in his hands?

11 hours ago, UncleEarl said:

No more laughable than you praising him.  There has to be a reason for why the team hasn't put a guy this talented in the game.  He looks good with the ball in his hands.  Maybe the problem is when the ball isn't in his hands?

Running around and letting dogs bite you makes him sound a few fries short of a Happy Meal.

:ninja:

12 hours ago, UncleEarl said:

I'm sure they have a reason as well, but my point is that the media and then the fans are basically cutting this guy from the team when he's probably our 2nd best option at RB. 

This anointing of Chase Brown as the future of the Bengals RB position is comical, he's a decent back but I don't see it. Now when he struggled with a 1.5/ypc game in his first action the lack of condemnation shows the level of hypocrisy in the media and some fans because if Evans had a similar performance they would have been calling for him to be cut and a replacement to be brought in immediately. 

4 minutes ago, PatternMaster said:

This anointing of Chase Brown as the future of the Bengals RB position is comical, he's a decent back but I don't see it. Now when he struggled with a 1.5/ypc game in his first action the lack of condemnation shows the level of hypocrisy in the media and some fans because if Evans had a similar performance they would have been calling for him to be cut and a replacement to be brought in immediately. 

Both Brown and Evans received praise (and yes, some criticism) from the media and coaches for their performances on Friday night. Here is Paul Dehner and a Zac Taylor quote on Brown:

The fifth-round pick didn’t have an impressive line rushing the ball, managing only 12 yards on eight carries, but Brown’s best plays came in the passing game. He caught three passes for 33 yards and twice made defenders miss on a checkdown for extra yardage.

“Just doing my job,” Brown said. “End of the day, I got to make people miss to find a role on this team.”

Coach Zac Taylor pointed out that the 1.5 yards per carry might seem ugly, but he was 2-of-2 converting third-down and short-yardage situations. Those are critical for anyone, but specifically an undersized rookie looking to prove his physicality in the NFL.

“That’s not going to show up in the stats, either,” Taylor said. “That’s going to show up as two carries for 2 yards, but those are big runs for us in the game. That’s a positive."

Brown’s scouting report suggests running the ball shouldn’t be an issue, and you saw some of that burst in specific spots. The fact he did so well as a receiver was more encouraging than any stat line.

23 hours ago, High School Harry said:

Stupid speculative response, I know but

I don't think Mixon would have done much better

than those two behind Flounder and The Four Backups.

And Mixon has so much more experience of running into

a lineman's ass and falling down.

22 hours ago, BlackJesus said:

Walter Payton or Barry Sanders couldn't have gained yards with Flounder getting owned by future used car dealers and driven backwards. 

Chase Brown will be just fine. The one time he got space on the catch he showed amazing burst. 

To judge a RB, you need to see them behind their actual OL ... not 5 schlubs who they will never run behind. 

Both guys were playing behind the same line right? So if one guy performs marketedly better than the other how is it a reasonable excuse that the line was bad. One guy averaged 7/YPC while another averaged 1.5/YPC against future used car dealers...which is not a bad way to earn a buck. 

6 minutes ago, dex said:

Both Brown and Evans received praise (and yes, some criticism) from the media and coaches for their performances on Friday night. Here is Paul Dehner and a Zac Taylor quote on Brown:

The fifth-round pick didn’t have an impressive line rushing the ball, managing only 12 yards on eight carries, but Brown’s best plays came in the passing game. He caught three passes for 33 yards and twice made defenders miss on a checkdown for extra yardage.

“Just doing my job,” Brown said. “End of the day, I got to make people miss to find a role on this team.”

Coach Zac Taylor pointed out that the 1.5 yards per carry might seem ugly, but he was 2-of-2 converting third-down and short-yardage situations. Those are critical for anyone, but specifically an undersized rookie looking to prove his physicality in the NFL.

“That’s not going to show up in the stats, either,” Taylor said. “That’s going to show up as two carries for 2 yards, but those are big runs for us in the game. That’s a positive."

Brown’s scouting report suggests running the ball shouldn’t be an issue, and you saw some of that burst in specific spots. The fact he did so well as a receiver was more encouraging than any stat line.

Thanks for providing more evidence of the blatant media and even coaching bias for Brown. Sure, he did some good things but getting 1.5/ypc is never good...it's not like he was scoring TD's from 1 or 2 yards out, he could have gotten more yards. 

Both guys had their moments. I like Brown as a runner and as a pass outlet, but he needs work on pass pro. That said, as a feature back at Illinois, he didn’t do a lot of that (nor do a lot of college RBs as rookies) so it’s a work in progress, as he showed on Friday. But he’s a tough kid and I think he’ll get there. I think pass pro is a lot of “want to” and I believe he has that… but along with that, he’s gotta know who to block, and he let one defender get through in the game, and maybe some others. 

To his credit, Evans looked a bit better and it was nice to see him bust a long run. Seems like he’s always been trying to bounce outside so it was progress to see that. Pass catching is definitely his strength, as we’ve seen… that likely won’t change but to see him running decisively and making efforts at pass pro is encouraging.

All of that said, I still think Trayveon is the leader in the clubhouse for #2 - and while I’ve never doubted his ability as a runner (has averaged 5 YPC as a pro… admittedly small sample, with 47 carries) and with his effort in pass pro, his receiving skills weren’t very good… but he’s worked at that and last year, had a really nice catch and run that was a key play in the Tennessee game. He’d never returned kicks last year, and I thought he was solid too. And he’s made plays in coverage on STs. He’s just a good all-around football player and I think he’s ready to take on more work.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, membengal said:

Pretty sure it's clear the Brown is a massive bust after one game where he showed explosiveness in the pass game and was running behind 3rd sting lineman. Guess we should cut our losses and move on. Ah well. 

Finally someone gets it...:ninja:

Seriously though, the media love affair with an unproven rookie taken in the back of the 5th round is getting a bit out of control. Yes, he has an interesting story but they have hyped this guy up to be Emmit Sanders and it's clearly not the case. 

1 hour ago, BlackJesus said:

I stand by my prediction that Chase Brown will be seen as the best RB on the team by the end of the season. 

Failing to magically gain yards when met in the backfield immediately on most runs proves nothing. 

Get Brown behind the real OL and then we can talk. 

See...you see what I'm saying. Poor BJ has been taken advantage of by the lamestream media just like how CNN and FOX News did the same to it's viewers. My unfortunate Bengals Brother has drunk the Kool-Aid and seriously believes he's better than Mixon, Williams, and Evans...when that's just not the case. Why, does my simple friend believe such nonsense...because these charlatans like Joe Goodberry, Paul Dehner Jr, and others of that ilk have filled his feeble mind with sweet nothings of Chase Brown being some orphaned Canadian football savant that is going run faster than a speeding bullet and is more powerful than a locomotive, but wasn't drafted until the late 5th round because......:ninja:

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I just want them to find a complete back out of the bunch. I don't expect him to be the next (insert HoF RB), just not have holes in their game. Seems like one can't block, the other can't catch, another can't run between the tackles then another can't make it to lunch without waving a gun around. 

An average but complete RB would do fine in this offense.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

I just want them to find a complete back out of the bunch. I don't expect him to be the next (insert HoF RB), just not have holes in their game. Seems like one can't block, the other can't catch, another can't run between the tackles then another can't make it to lunch without waving a gun around. 

Honestly, all they really need is a 3rd down back.  One who can block, catch and run occasionally.  You know...Gio Bernard.  Mixon is the main guy until someone unseats him, or he gets himself and extended unpaid vacation from the league. 

2 hours ago, UncleEarl said:

Honestly, all they really need is a 3rd down back.  One who can block, catch and run occasionally.  You know...Gio Bernard.  Mixon is the main guy until someone unseats him, or he gets himself and extended unpaid vacation from the league. 

Fully expect Mixon to show up beasting like a couple of years ago but then get suspended at the worst possible time.

Said it before but they kind of wasted Gio's talent here.  He was a factor at times for sure but he could've done so much more.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, T-Dub said:

Zeke Elliot off the board.

Signed with the Patriots.