WEEK 4: @ TITANS (GameDey thread)

2 minutes ago, Gary said:

Shut it down.. I know 1-3 isn't the end of the world, but in the Bengals case they should just shut it down. This team will go nowhere unless Burrow plays to his potential, and if he does not then bench him until he gets his head on straight. He's an embarrassment right now to the organization after paying him the most of any player ever. 

He's injured and should have stayed on the sideline for at least the first 4 games

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Le Tigre said:

You know, and I know, that once this would be enacted the press (and every Budlight-buying couch fan) will howl about “quitting”. 

No amount of “next year” will satisfy that. It will be baked in. 

Really don't care.  Honestly, with no Joe Burrow the press will hardly care about the Bengals.

But guys, the offense was sooooo creative last week lololol. 

Zac Taylor needs to devise a play where he and Callahan are no longer the minds guiding this offense. Time to get a competent person. The skill players on this team would benefit greatly from a real offensive mind.  

OK….deep breath time. 

Team sits at 1-3. Winnable game—but certainly not prohibitive based on the way they have been playing—against AZ.

If it’s true that only 50% of the playbook is being used, then going with a QB who knows all 100%—and can physically execute most of it—would logically be the way to go. 

The temptation would be “c’mon Joe at 50% can beat AZ” and continue to double-down. He might. 

Is it now a mandatory “must win” situation (geez we used to get a lot of these way back when)? It absolutely is. But what next? Does the season hinge on the following week against SEA (another beatable team who also might smack you in the nose)? 

I’m not certain there is a short-term answer that will guarantee a 3-3 record at the bye. Take a chance at the 100% playbook and see if it still nets two wins…or continue at 50% and perhaps get the two wins and then fall off the cliff after the bye? 

One thing is for sure: all of the “fire this guy”/“cut that guy” stuff is for when they are actually so far gone that it no longer matters. 

34 minutes ago, Le Tigre said:

OK….deep breath time. 

Team sits at 1-3. Winnable game—but certainly not prohibitive based on the way they have been playing—against AZ.

If it’s true that only 50% of the playbook is being used, then going with a QB who knows all 100%—and can physically execute most of it—would logically be the way to go. 

The temptation would be “c’mon Joe at 70% can beat AZ” and continue to double-down. He might. 

Is it now a mandatory “must win” situation (geez we used to get a lot of these way back when)? It absolutely is. But what next? Does the season hinge on the following week against SEA (another beatable team who also might smack you in the nose)? 

I’m not certain there is a short-term answer that will guarantee a 3-3 record at the bye. Take a chance at the 100% playbook and see if it still nets two wins…or continue at 50% and perhaps get the two wins and then fall off the cliff after the bye? 

One thing is for sure: all of the “fire this guy”/“cut that guy” stuff is for when they are actually so far gone that it no longer matters. 

Joe Burrow can’t plant his right leg, which is a critical component of throwing a football with any sort of velocity. Throwing downfield requires velocity.

Doesn’t matter if you open the playbook fully, create additional plays etc…the down field routes simply don’t exist to the defense. They concentrate on 25 yds and in area for the most part. Almost like a red zone defense.  Burrows not throwing over anyone’s head right now. You essentially have to use a red zone offense type of approach if you leave Burrow in.  Can send a guy deep at times to see how the defense reacts. Add to that, the OLine is trash. Barely any time to allow plays to develop or WRs to shake guys or even get to the top of their route. Tough situation right now.  Not sure how much longer it can go on. 

29 minutes ago, Le Tigre said:

Very true…and hence the questions for the make/break next 2 games: is 100% of the playbook with a much-lesser qualified thrower>50% of the incredibly more qualified thrower? 

No doubt about it IMO. Browning just has to manage the game, that’s it. Doesn’t need to be spectacular with who he has around him. For me, it’s a no brainer at this point. I would have had Browning start the year, with Burrow on rehab until fully functional. Then and only then he plays. 

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, UncleEarl said:

As far as the OL goes, if I were a member of the Brown family I would be none too happy.  They've spent a lot of money and gotten little results.

The amount of blown draft capital is terrible but the people who made those picks seem bulletproof. There's not a single young OL on the roster with serious potential. Not one.

Paying Jonah $12m and trying to convert him to an RT was plainly ridiculous to anyone outside of the Bengals FO. Then he asked to be traded but they insisted he stay here and suck instead.

The organization from Taylor to Mike Brown need to grow a pair and tell Burrow he isn't playing.  Burrow has gotten pretty much everything he wants for the past 5 years or so.  They said adversity truly reveals character.  We'll see how Burrow handles it, or at least I hope we see...

1 minute ago, T-Dub said:

The amount of blown draft capital is terrible but the people who made those picks seem bulletproof. There's not a single young OL on the roster with serious potential. Not one.

Paying Jonah $12m and trying to convert him to an RT was plainly ridiculous to anyone outside of the Bengals FO. Then he asked to be traded but they insisted he stay here and suck instead.

The mistake was made when they signed him for his fifth year before last season.  Stuck.

9 minutes ago, IKOTA said:

No doubt about it IMO. Browning just has to manage the game, that’s it. Doesn’t need to be spectacular with who he has around him. For me, it’s a no brainer at this point. I would have had Browning start the year, with Burrow on rehab until fully functional. Then and only then he plays. 

I hear ya. Obviously they know a lot more about Joe's physical progress and the risks to worsen the injury by playing. It looked like he had more issues getting his arm/elbow hit today. 

I thought they had a realistic shot to go 4-2 at the bye before this week... now, any win(s) over the next few weeks will be tough. I should have expected more of a struggle... coming off of a Monday night game, playing away, vs. a very good front 7 on TN and one of the league's best players in Simmons... plus an angry team coming off of a beat-down last Sunday, plus Ted Karras' bulletin board comments, revenge game, etc.. A lot of factors, but I still didn't expect that.

Anyway, Dallas walked into AZ last weekend and laid an egg. They have a fast, agreessive D and they have some guys like James Conner, Rondale Moore, Zack Ertz and Hollywood Brown who can play. On paper, they should win, but that doesn't mean isht. 

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, UncleEarl said:

As far as the OL goes, if I were a member of the Brown family I would be none too happy.  They've spent a lot of money and gotten little results.

I'm starting to believe its coaching.

• Upvote 2