The Way Too Early 2024 Draft Thread

27 minutes ago, claptonrocks said:

Disagree but hes going in the 1st or early 2nd imo.

Combine will be huge for him.

He could skip the combine completely and he’d still go no lower than 12. He’s a legit difference maker up front. His tape speaks for itself. 

19 hours ago, spicoli said:

Give me Jer'Zhan Newton all day every day in this draft. Dude is going to be a game-wrecker. I’m hoping his lack of “ideal” measurables will knock him down a few spots right into our laps. Probably wishful thinking though. 

Yes Johnny Newton is really good. Was thinking similarly about him maybe being available later in round one. Really good player, and they need inside help as Reader could be gone, and Carter hasn't shown much. I like Tupou as depth, and Hill is pretty solid, but beyond that, the cupboard is bare. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jamie_B said:

The past two drafts we have invested both of our 1sts, 2nds and 3rs on Defense. We need to spend some of our high picks on O. The D is there it's just young. With Boyd, maybe Higgins, Irwin, and Williams are gone we don't have much invested in terms of high picks.

I do not hate the idea of a TE that could both pancake a blitzing LB and stretch the field, as I'd expect from a 1st round pick.  That's kind of like drafting both an OL & WR if they get it right. Assuming they grab more of each in later rounds? I'd still prefer a Willie Anderson RT but I could live with a beast TE.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, T-Dub said:

I do not hate the idea of a TE that could both pancake a blitzing LB and stretch the field, as I'd expect from a 1st round pick.  That's kind of like drafting both an OL & WR if they get it right. Assuming they grab more of each in later rounds? I'd still prefer a Willie Anderson RT but I could live with a beast TE.

Depends on what is there at the spot we go. I agree that I prefer a good RT that maybe can move to LT when OBJ is gone, but I can live with a good TE if that's not there 

I'm just really hoping one is there

2 hours ago, Jamie_B said:

Depends on what is there at the spot we go. I agree that I prefer a good RT that maybe can move to LT when OBJ is gone, but I can live with a good TE if that's not there 

I'm just really hoping one is there

Fair warning: If they skip OL until day 3 or again ignore it entirely Im'a snap.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, texbengal said:

Yes Johnny Newton is really good. Was thinking similarly about him maybe being available later in round one. Really good player, and they need inside help as Reader could be gone, and Carter hasn't shown much. I like Tupou as depth, and Hill is pretty solid, but beyond that, the cupboard is bare. 

Newton wont replace Reader if he were to leave.( Hopefully that wont happen).

He'd be heir apparant to BJ Hill.

He's a 3tech .

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, T-Dub said:

Amarius Mims has all you want in a RT

except experience.

He's raw so that could drop him.

I look for his combine results to boost his stock back up.

Would the Bengals take a chance on him?

9 hours ago, T-Dub said:

Fair warning: If they skip OL until day 3 or again ignore it entirely Im'a snap.

Come on man, these guys have worked all their lives trying to make it in the pros. Why you wanna ruin one of their careers by sending them to O Line purgatory?

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, claptonrocks said:

Amarius Mims has all you want in a RT

except experience.

He's raw so that could drop him.

I look for his combine results to boost his stock back up.

Would the Bengals take a chance on him?

Wasn't that the chatter about Dawand Jones and why he slipped? So far he seems to be doing fine in Cleveland. Of course, he has Bill Callahan developing him. 

Cleveland seems to find O linemen the way we find WRs. 

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, SF2 said:

Come on man, these guys have worked all their lives trying to make it in the pros. Why you wanna ruin one of their careers by sending them to O Line purgatory?

S'why I want one in the first round, takes most of the guess work out of it. Tobin, Pollack, and whatever Brown/Blackburn relative they have scouting OL apparently can't identify or develop talent so let Mel Kiper's Big Board decide.

Then draft more OL in every odd numbered round plus any additional comp/trade picks & hope at least one of the bunch can play without much coaching.

If they're not going to upgrade the coach or hire real scouts then it'll have to be the shotgun approach.  With all these raw college kids never putting a hand in the dirt that's probably the move anyway. 

We've had technically-best Dennis Roland, extended Bobby sHart, now Volson is headed to the HoF (they should've asked in what sport) and that's not even half the clowns we've stuffed in the car.

Purgatory is a neutral place, this is some layer of OL hell.

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, claptonrocks said:

He's a 3tech .

He’s not just a 3-tech. He’s played every spot on that line and has been a game wrecker at all of them. Stop trying to pigeonhole him. 

1 hour ago, spicoli said:

He’s not just a 3-tech. He’s played every spot on that line and has been a game wrecker at all of them. Stop trying to pigeonhole him. 

At 6'2" 295lbs hes a NT as well?

Seems his size pigeonholes him .

He looks good as a 3 tech but 

hes to small to play the NT.

Trying to be real here...😊

6 minutes ago, claptonrocks said:

At 6'2" 295lbs hes a NT as well?

Seems his size pigeonholes him .

You’re not getting it…he can play anywhere along the line. He can used as a moving piece and provide quality reps at every spot. Guys like that are invaluable. It’s why he’s a top 10 lock. 

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, spicoli said:

You’re not getting it…he can play anywhere along the line. He can used as a moving piece and provide quality reps at every spot. Guys like that are invaluable. It’s why he’s a top 10 lock. 

Allright then.

You haven't been wrong on many your picks in the past ( like I have with OL) .

I'm in..😊

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

10 hours ago, claptonrocks said:

He's a 3tech .

Yes, I'm well aware. Was just talking about the DT position as a whole. 

A big-a-- guy I like who has had a nice year is T'Vondre Sweat at Texas. He's a load - 6-4, 350+. Texas DL haven't done great in the NFl, generally, but he's hard to move and he's got some agility too. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, texbengal said:

Yes, I'm well aware. Was just talking about the DT position as a whole. 

A big-a-- guy I like who has had a nice year is T'Vondre Sweat at Texas. He's a load - 6-4, 350+. Texas DL haven't done great in the NFl, generally, but he's hard to move and he's got some agility too. 

Definitely a NT with upside.

Like him too.

• Upvote 1