The Way Too Early 2024 Draft Thread

8 minutes ago, spicoli said:

OT’s coming out of college nowadays are trash unless you’re getting a guy at the very top of the draft. Pass rushers, touchdown-makers and cover corners are the way to go. 

This is exactly why I want to lose, we need to move up as high as we can.

Last year the top 2 T's were taken at 6 (Paris Johnson)) and 11 (Peter Skoronski)

2022, 6 and 7 with Ekwonu and Neal 

2021, 7 and 13 Sewell and Slater

I would do a backflip for a guy like Slater right now. I think you would probably too.

1 hour ago, Jamie_B said:

This is exactly why I want to lose, we need to move up as high as we can.

Last year the top 2 T's were taken at 6 (Paris Johnson)) and 11 (Peter Skoronski)

2022, 6 and 7 with Ekwonu and Neal 

2021, 7 and 13 Sewell and Slater

I would do a backflip for a guy like Slater right now. I think you would probably too.

I don't think you can do a backflip....and I know I can't...  lol 

but yes.. getting a stud for the next ten years tackle would be awesome... 

2 minutes ago, fluhartz said:

I don't think you can do a backflip....and I know I can't...  lol 

but yes.. getting a stud for the next ten years tackle would be awesome... 

After this season is over we have OBJ for 3 more years, it would be awesome to get a guy to put on the right side who could eventually move to the left when OBJ is gone.

11 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

After this season is over we have OBJ for 3 more years, it would be awesome to get a guy to put on the right side who could eventually move to the left when OBJ is gone.

A Whit would be nice... even though he was on the inside the first couple years , but someone that develops up to that good would be awesome....

It's likely we're in the top 10 of the draft. 5-12 isn't out of the question at this point. The unfortunate thing is we'll lose tiebreakers with other teams with the same record as us due to our difficult schedule.

Anyway, there's a fair chance we can get Bowers if we want him. Or at least one of Odunze, Coleman, or Nabers if we prefer WR to TE. 

The first tackles off the board will be Fashanu and Alt. They may be gone before we pick but if we look for a RT like Fuaga, he'll be available later. We could probably get the tackles from Houston, Arizona, or BYU early in round 2. Stover will be available in early round 3 for sure and probably round 4.

8 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

It's likely we're in the top 10 of the draft. 5-12 isn't out of the question at this point. The unfortunate thing is we'll lose tiebreakers with other teams with the same record as us due to our difficult schedule.

Anyway, there's a fair chance we can get Bowers if we want him. Or at least one of Odunze, Coleman, or Nabers if we prefer WR to TE. 

The first tackles off the board will be Fashanu and Alt. They may be gone before we pick but if we look for a RT like Fuaga, he'll be available later. We could probably get the tackles from Houston, Arizona, or BYU early in round 2. Stover will be available in early round 3 for sure and probably round 4.

If we're drafting at 5 I don't think getting the top Tackle in the draft is out of the question. If we're talking about tiebreakers and we lose out or lose 1-2 more, I'm thinking we end up drafting at 7 and can still get the 2nd ranked Tackle. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, spicoli said:

OT’s coming out of college nowadays are trash unless you’re getting a guy at the very top of the draft. Pass rushers, touchdown-makers and cover corners are the way to go. 

They aren’t trash they just don’t know how to play pro football.  Almost every college plays RPO or spread offense.  These guys don’t know how to run block at all. 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, SF2 said:

They aren’t trash they just don’t know how to play pro football.  Almost every college plays RPO or spread offense.  These guys don’t know how to run block at all. 

On top of that, many high schools employ the same offenses. Two levels to unlearn/relearn before one might get a good NFL lineman. 

• Upvote 1

There are a few Ts that will go very high... the guy from Penn State that some thought would come out last year is one. The other guy I like is Joe Alt from Notre Dame. I remember when he was drafted, they asked Myles Murphy who was the best player he's faced in college, and he mentioned Alt. He's huge - 6-7 or 6-8 and 320+. Only 20 years old. 

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, texbengal said:

There are a few Ts that will go very high... the guy from Penn State that some thought would come out last year is one. The other guy I like is Joe Alt from Notre Dame. I remember when he was drafted, they asked Myles Murphy who was the best player he's faced in college, and he mentioned Alt. He's huge - 6-7 or 6-8 and 320+. Only 20 years old. 

Both of those guys will likely go in the top 8 of the draft though. After that, it’s a black hole. 

10 hours ago, SF2 said:

You are 100% correct. Everyone seems to think this is a Bengals issue but the reality is, it’s a league wide problem. 

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, spicoli said:

Both of those guys will likely go in the top 8 of the draft though. After that, it’s a black hole. 

Likely true re: the top 2, although you never know.

Makes you wonder if they'll re-sign Jonah, since it doesn't appear that Carman is an answer, and D'Onta Smith has had chances and hasn't done anything, either. I'm sure Jonah will get some big $ in FA, especially since he can play both LT and RT. If the Bengals need to go to FA for a T, they'll pay through the nose for anybody worth a isht... that is, if anyone is available. 

50 minutes ago, texbengal said:

Likely true re: the top 2, although you never know.

Makes you wonder if they'll re-sign Jonah, since it doesn't appear that Carman is an answer, and D'Onta Smith has had chances and hasn't done anything, either. I'm sure Jonah will get some big $ in FA, especially since he can play both LT and RT. If the Bengals need to go to FA for a T, they'll pay through the nose for anybody worth a isht... that is, if anyone is available. 

Jonah Williamswill get offers of 3-4yr deal at 16 a yr.

I want Tee back and this would free up money to make it happen.

Draft a big RT early...

Hell JB has played with alit of shit RTs his whole career here anyway.

Acting like our LB position is allright is another problem.

Find a LB in the draft that's very good in coverage..we have noone on the roster to fill that need.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, claptonrocks said:

Acting like our LB position is allright is another problem

Our LBs have never been an issue until they decided to start from scratch in the secondary. I refuse to believe that the two aren’t related. They’re trying to do too much, IMO. 

12 minutes ago, spicoli said:

Our LBs have never been an issue until they decided to start from scratch in the secondary. I refuse to believe that the two aren’t related. They’re trying to do too much, IMO. 

Pratt and Wilson provide everything possible at Backer except coverage.

Davis-Gaither was drafted with that in mind but hasn't worked out.

Not looking for a big thumper..hell Logan and Germaine provide enough of that.

Someone who can run and cover TEs has to be addressed .

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, spicoli said:

You are 100% correct. Everyone seems to think this is a Bengals issue but the reality is, it’s a league wide problem. 

Then why doesn't every team allow multiple sacks per game or average <4 yards per carry?

It may not be easy but other teams are drafting decent OL. Last year the Bengals didn't even try. I don't think building one entirely through FAs will work.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, T-Dub said:

Then why doesn't every team allow multiple sacks per game or average <4 yards per carry?

Honestly I just don’t think you watch enough other football. Almost every QB in the league is running for his life on a weekly basis. Just because it doesn’t always end up in a sack, that doesn’t mean it isn’t happening. 

The NFL product is absolutely shit right now and the biggest reason for that is a lack of quality on the OL, league wide….well, that and the refs. 

• Upvote 2

53 minutes ago, spicoli said:

Honestly I just don’t think you watch enough other football. Almost every QB in the league is running for his life on a weekly basis. Just because it doesn’t always end up in a sack, that doesn’t mean it isn’t happening. 

The NFL product is absolutely shit right now and the biggest reason for that is a lack of quality on the OL, league wide. 

Lack of quality yes.

They're also facing ferocious pass rushers now more than ever.

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, claptonrocks said:

They're also facing ferocious pass rushers now more than ever

Absolutely they are and they’re not prepared to handle that coming out of college. 

That’s why I say if you can’t beat em, join em. Take the best pass rusher available with what should be a top 12-15 pick.

They won’t be picking this high often so they better take advantage. 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, spicoli said:

The NFL product is absolutely shit right now and the biggest reason for that is a lack of quality on the OL, league wide….well, that and the refs. 

Bengals still have one of the worst by any metric available. The average may be bad but they're well below even that. Doesn't excuse not drafting OL at all. 

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, spicoli said:

As I posted in another thread, I think the Bengals OL problem is mainly coaching. Pollack has not developed anyone that I'm aware of and it can't all be bad luck Maybe the scheme doesn't fit the players or it is too complicated (missed assignments,  Volson knocking down the C  because he went the wrong way, etc..). A coaching change might not make them all Pro Bowlers but it can't make them any worse.  Bengals draft priority should be to protect Burrow because without him they are going nowhere.

• Upvote 2

13 hours ago, T-Dub said:

It may not be easy but other teams are drafting decent OL. Last year the Bengals didn't even try. I don't think building one entirely through FAs will work.

A lot of teams do.  Just look at Burrow’s draft.  7 tackles chosen in 1st round.  1 great (Tristan Wirfs 4th tackle chosen) 5 ok and 1 guy played 1 game and is already out of the league, Isaiah Wilson Titans.   Getting an OK tackle in the first round is now a goal. 

It took Penei Sewell a year to figure it out.  Detroit fans thought he was a bust after the first year b

• Upvote 1