8 hours ago, IKOTA said:

Never was a serious contender to get a HC job and he never will be. His type of coach, is a dying breed in the NFL. 

Suspect you're right.  The league wants 100 point games & they're gonna get it no matter how the defense plays.  Have to scheme around sacks and turnovers to get stops with the way games are being called. 

• Upvote 1

We weren't going to pay Bates 16 mil per year but replacing Bell with Scott was a massive downgrade. We became a much worse tackling team and it would have been good to have Vonn getting everyone lined up correctly. Hopefully, Dax will have learned a lot this season and can be the leader of the secondary next year. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, T-Dub said:

Suspect you're right.  The league wants 100 point games & they're gonna get it no matter how the defense plays.  Have to scheme around sacks and turnovers to get stops with the way games are being called. 

Unfortunately,  the rules are completely stacked against the defense and everyone wants offense.  Better to lose 28-35 than 10-17.  

Think about it, Ohio State held the #9 team in the nation Missouri to 14 points, a team which averaged 32.5 pts/game in the SEC.    Most people think Ohio State played terribly. 

1 minute ago, SF2 said:

Unfortunately,  the rules are completely stacked against the defense.  Better to lose 28-35 than 10-17. 

It's a changing game to make it more  exciting for the gambling world..

It all goes back to the mean green..

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, SF2 said:

Unfortunately,  the rules are completely stacked against the defense and everyone wants offense.  Better to lose 28-35 than 10-17.  

Think about it, Ohio State held the #9 team in the nation Missouri to 14 points, a team which averaged 32.5 pts/game in the SEC.    Most people think Ohio State played terribly. 

Defense wasn't the problem.

The offense didn't come to play.

I doubt OSU ever went into a bowl game with a weak QB crew as that one.

Better be looking for good one and get him paid big-time to go there.

1 hour ago, claptonrocks said:

It's a changing game to make it more  exciting for the gambling world..

It all goes back to the mean green..

Think it's also about TV/streaming if not more so.. Hard to hold the attention of millions of people for 3-4 hours to watch a midseasonThursday Night Football matchup between eg the Chargers and Titans. If there's a TD every 10-15 minutes the East Coast might stay up for the 2nd half.

No question Vegas & FF nerds benefit from high scores as well but the NFL lives on advertising. They're not selling football anymore; viewers are the product. If more people will watch a celebrity react to the game that's who they're going to show. 

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, claptonrocks said:

Defense wasn't the problem.

The offense didn't come to play.

I doubt OSU ever went into a bowl game with a weak QB crew as that one.

Better be looking for good one and get him paid big-time to go there.

I agree my point is the defense played great yet most people act like the TEAM played terribly.  What actually happened was the freshman 3rd string QB that probably had 10 snaps in practice was overwhelmed. 

The days of having a good 2nd and 3rd QB are long gone. See Burrow, Penix and Ewers as examples. Too easy to leave for a starting spot. 

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, Jamie_B said:

Completely agree with this. Pratt and Wilson are still very good LBs, but it's hard when they have more guys to deal with because your DT play isn't good.

That said I think Davis-Gather is done as far as his contract, and I would like to find a replacement maybe even a guy who can cover TEs.

Unfortunately, d lineman that can also cover a modern tight end are now unicorns.  They are just too fast and light now. 

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, SF2 said:

Unfortunately, d lineman that can also cover a modern tight end are now unicorns.  They are just too fast and light now. 

Can we find a bigger CB like Flowers that was able to do it moderately effectively?

11 hours ago, T-Dub said:

Very true. Couple it with “player safety”—the wink-wink code for not allowing any contact pre/during/post play—and it creates an impenetrable defense against defense. 

2 hours ago, Jamie_B said:

Can we find a bigger CB like Flowers that was able to do it moderately effectively?

FWIW, we did actually cover the TE on Sunday. Kelce only had 3 catches for 16 yards.

But unfortunately, Pacheco ran all over us. :(

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Shebengal said:

FWIW, we did actually cover the TE on Sunday. Kelce only had 3 catches for 16 yards.

Also covered Freiermuth the week before. 

I think the solution might be a veteran safety who plays the safety role and Dax Hill moves to covering TEs/blitzing in those situations

9 minutes ago, MichaelWeston said:

Also covered Freiermuth the week before. 

I think the solution might be a veteran safety who plays the safety role and Dax Hill moves to covering TEs/blitzing in those situations

So your saying Dax Hill with his 4.28 speed to the slot?

I'm intrigued by that idea.

1 hour ago, claptonrocks said:

So your saying Dax Hill with his 4.28 speed to the slot?

I'm intrigued by that idea.

Speed is great, but bad angles on tackles and poor reads will doom any safety no matter the speed. 

I expect Hill to get another year to improve before they start looking to replace him.

3 hours ago, Shebengal said:

I'm not sure what to make of that. It kind of looks like Kelce is starting to show his age, he hasn't produced at his normal level for most of this year. 

3 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

I'm not sure what to make of that. It kind of looks like Kelce is starting to show his age, he hasn't produced at his normal level for most of this year. 

Doesn't help Kelce that everyone knows how bad the KC WRs are.  Ball dropping machines.

1 minute ago, UncleEarl said:

Doesn't help Kelce that everyone knows how bad the KC WRs are.  Ball dropping machines.

That's fair, I imagine he's getting double and triple teamed because the rest of their guys can be covered 1:1 with little issues.