Potential Bengals in the 2024 CFBP?

Here is a thread to discuss the College Football Playoff starting today, as it relates to the Bengals. 

- The players we should consider drafting? 

- Potential RT? OG? DT? CB? SS? TE? WR?

- Is Reader's replacement in these games? Is Chido's? Is Tee's? Is Jonah's? Is there a TE who could put us over the top? 

- Assistant coaches we should be giving a look? 

IMG_20240101_164137.jpg

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, BlackJesus said:

Watching Texas, they might have the 2 best DTs in the country, with T'Vondre Sweat 6'4, 362 lbs and Byron Murphy II 6'1, 308 lbs. Both of them could help with losing Reader

Let's not bury the guy just yet

tenor.gif

I don't watch much college football anymore...so...

Watching the games tonight, I see more creativity in offensive play calls than what I'm used to seeing in the NFL.  Some very interesting and intriguing plays...mis-directions, lots of movement, impressive creativity...some successful, some not so much, but still intriguing. 

So my question to all you college football gurus out there...is this normal for college football or is it just the teams that are playing tonight???

While I'm at it, what's with the college punt formation where there's a line of 3 guys right in front of the punter?  Seems like blocking at the line would be more effective, i.e. block before the defenders can get up a head of steam?  I can see having one safety valve, but 3?

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, BlackJesus said:

Watching Texas, they might have the 2 best DTs in the country, with T'Vondre Sweat 6'4, 362 lbs and Byron Murphy II 6'1, 308 lbs. Both of them could help with losing Reader. 

IMG_20240101_221629.jpg

Byron_Murphy_DSC08147.jpg

You bet..

Especially Mr, Sweat..

He's going to be a big time gamer

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, BlackJesus said:

Bengals should consider drafting Alabama's 6'6 Aussie punter James Burnip, who was launching 50+ yard punts all game. A real weapon. 

5820fa6b-561b-4d4a-9909-75c7a474acf1-AP21255140275255.jpg

Interesting thought but I don't think they will admit they may have screwed up

with Robbins.  Call him a work in progress or something.

I mean, they still have not admitted Jackson Carman was a bad choice and epic fail,

hanging on to him just filling a roster spot and languishing on the inactive list most weeks.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, High School Harry said:

Interesting thought but I don't think they will admit they may have screwed up

with Robbins.  Call him a work in progress or something.

I mean, they still have not admitted Jackson Carman was a bad choice and epic fail,

hanging on to him just filling a roster spot and languishing on the inactive list most weeks.

I kind of agree this might happen but Simmons is less of this type of coach than others have been/are - Robbins is the example, they could have just tried to make Crisman better.  And everyone needs to remember as they feverishly build their "punter wishlist" for the draft that just booting the ball far is not (nearly) enough - they have to be able to hold, and hold consistently (and *immediately*).  If nothing else Robbins has been great in this regard, but as far as he's concerned I want and expect a competition because he clearly wasn't good enough in his primary job.  If these monster leg guys can held, get 'em in here.

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, HavePityPlease said:

I kind of agree this might happen but Simmons is less of this type of coach than others have been/are - Robbins is the example, they could have just tried to make Crisman better.  And everyone needs to remember as they feverishly build their "punter wishlist" for the draft that just booting the ball far is not (nearly) enough - they have to be able to hold, and hold consistently (and *immediately*).  If nothing else Robbins has been great in this regard, but as far as he's concerned I want and expect a competition because he clearly wasn't good enough in his primary job.  If these monster leg guys can held, get 'em in here.

All true and agree.

But I remember back in the old days when the back up quarterback was the holder.

He was always a threat to stand up and throw one far enough for a first down.

But... Robbins will be around for at least another season.

One telling thing about Chrisman was no one picked him up during the season

and a number of teams had punter issues.

Still, if anything were to happen to Robbins, I think he would get a call real quick.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, BlackJesus said:

Bengals should consider drafting Alabama's 6'6 Aussie punter James Burnip, who was launching 50+ yard punts all game. A real weapon. 

Unfortunately, we have A LOT of holes to fill…so I don’t see this happening.  He will likely go to one of the better teams that is already set up nicely for 2024….hopefully in the NFC. 😕

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, BlackJesus said:

Watching Texas, they might have the 2 best DTs in the country, with T'Vondre Sweat 6'4, 362 lbs and Byron Murphy II 6'1, 308 lbs. Both of them could help with losing Reader. 

IMG_20240101_221629.jpg

Byron_Murphy_DSC08147.jpg

Re: the two DTs for Texas, I think Murphy is the more productive player to-date, but Sweat has quite a bit more size, and he's really made a turnaround in his play this past year. Both aren't just big fat guys... both are athletic and can push the pocket. 

Both Texas and UW have great receiving corps, too... both at WR and TE. Odunze is a beast, but Texas has some dudes, too. Worthy is hella fast, and Sanders is a really talented TE. Whittington might not get the most press, but he's a helluva player. too; and RB Johnathan Brooks is a very good runner, but he's coming off an ACL tear. 

Really thought Donavan Edwards would show out for Michigan this year, but he's really struggled. Coming into this year, he was higher rated as a prospect than Corum.... he's taller, faster and he's a very good receiver. But he disappeared, pretty much. Like others have said, S/nickel Mikey Sainristil isn't big, but he makes plays. For that matter, Michigan has some good defenders all over that D, but I'm kinda 'Meh" on their OL. Some good TEs, though, and Roman Wilson makes plays at WR. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

Thoughts on Kris Jenkins?

I think he's a very good college player but not sure how he'll be as a pro. Doesn't wow you with athletic ability and doesn't give you a lot from a pass rush standpoint. Supposedly is a freak in the weight room.I think he could be a useful guy as part of a rotation, but not a guy who's going to be a dominant player. His father played in the NFL for a long time and sometimes guys like that get over-hyped. 

Kenneth Grant (#78) - now, that guy is bigger and is really talented, but you don't see it a lot. One of those "traits" players (inly his 2nd year) that you'll see these awesome plays from, but not very consistently. But if he puts it all together, he'll be great. 

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, claptonrocks said:

He's buried.

You know it.

I'm not a doctor, I really do not know actually. The reconstructive surgery stuff is ridiculously advanced these days. It may be a slim chance but it's not certain. I'm not ruling him out yet.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

I'm not a doctor, I really do not know actually. The reconstructive surgery stuff is ridiculously advanced these days. It may be a slim chance but it's not certain. I'm not ruling him out yet.

I hope the surgery pans out well .

He's one of the best NTs and when he's out the Dline suffers tremendously.

The question is do they have time to evaluate his progress enough or dip into the draft pool for his replacement.

• Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

As I understand it, it is the same knee injury he had when he first got here that kept him out a year, which means he wont be available at the start of the year. He very likely will be back but the issue becomes the bengals need a DT (maybe even 2) right now, which puts his status with any team let alone this team up in the air. Would I do a contract that was vet minium this year that lets him stay in house and rehab then up the pay in following years? Sure, but we still need a DT of the future, and the future is now.

• Upvote 2

53 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

As I understand it, it is the same knee injury he had when he first got here that kept him out a year, which means he wont be available at the start of the year. He very likely will be back but the issue becomes the bengals need a DT (maybe even 2) right now, which puts his status with any team let alone this team up in the air. Would I do a contract that was vet minium this year that lets him stay in house and rehab then up the pay in following years? Sure, but we still need a DT of the future, and the future is now.

I think your right.

I really like the big NT Sweat.

He's 6'4 and  now 346lbs..

He's definitely a double teamed beast in the middle

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

A rookie DT is hardly a sure thing either, far as that goes.  Slotting draft picks into starting roles before they're even on the team isn't a great plan.

vet minium this year that lets him stay in house and rehab

This seems most likely unless he decides to hang it up.  Honestly surprised more of these dudes don't retire sooner.  I'd rather have $10 mil in the bank and the ability to walk or know what day it is instead of that extra $5 mil and CTE/disability for life.  Go out on top you know? Watching some of these dudes insist on flailing around out there at 40+ years old is painful.

• Upvote 1