Black Monday and Coaching changes (non Bengals related)

11 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

Well see. Callahan and Lou both interviewed last year too and didn't get anything.

Id say Pitcher goes before Callahan.

No reason but seems Pitcher is a hit commodity right now.

Id rather keep Pitcher..

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, claptonrocks said:

Id say Pitcher goes before Callahan.

No reason but seems Pitcher is a hit commodity right now.

Id rather keep Pitcher..

I think the same. What he was able to do with Browning should get him a job somewhere.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Le Tigre said:

Jerry was quite patient with Garrett also. Dare I say MFB-like? 

He is a loyal guy and it's bit him in the ass a number of times... coaches, and player contracts especially. That said, I think I would have kept McCarthy too. 3 12-win seasons in a row, offense was significantly better this year. Yep, playoff fart and fall down is concerning, but it's a talented roster and it's still young at a number of spots. There will be some roster turnover no doubt, and maybe some coaching, too (Quinn). But they will still be relevant in the NFC for awhile, IMO. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Wink just got canned again.  This time by the lowly Giants after two seasons of ineptitude.  He resigned yesterday before they could fire him.

https://theathletic.com/5188296/2024/01/08/wink-martindale-giants-resigns/

272414428_10158706360450423_434865612245912890_n.jpg

If you don't know who this is - any why should you - he used to be the Ravens DC.  He made a pregame comment about Burrow not being ready for a Gold Jacket (a HoF reference) right before Joe went and thrashed his defense for 525 passing yards in a 41-21 beat-down in 2021 Week 16.

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/nfl/bengals/2021/12/26/wink-martindale-gold-jacket-remark-motivate-joe-burrow-cincinnati-bengals-record-525-passing-yards/9020801002

He also took a shot at Chase, but giving up 82 points to the Bengals in two games, which saw Chase get over 300 yards and Burrow post unheard of numbers (60-84-941 7/1) in his two meetings against Baltimore that season, likely doomed him.  Martindale was one of the very first off-season casualties of Baltimore's last-place finish, while Burrow and the Bengals went to the Super Bowl.

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2022/1/21/22895850/ravens-news-don-wink-martindale-joe-burrow-jamarr-chase

Now - Wink has worn out his welcome in New York.

Over. Rated.  Good riddance to bad garbage.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, AmishBengalFan said:

Wink just got canned again.  This time by the lowly Giants after two seasons of ineptitude.  He resigned yesterday before they could fire him.

https://theathletic.com/5188296/2024/01/08/wink-martindale-giants-resigns/

272414428_10158706360450423_434865612245912890_n.jpg

If you don't know who this is - any why should you - he used to be the Ravens DC.  He made a pregame comment about Burrow not being ready for a Gold Jacket (a HoF reference) right before Joe went and thrashed his defense for 525 passing yards in a 41-21 beat-down in 2021 Week 16.

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/nfl/bengals/2021/12/26/wink-martindale-gold-jacket-remark-motivate-joe-burrow-cincinnati-bengals-record-525-passing-yards/9020801002

He also took a shot at Chase, but giving up 82 points to the Bengals in two games, which saw Chase get over 300 yards and Burrow post unheard of numbers (60-84-941 7/1) in his two meetings against Baltimore that season, likely doomed him.  Martindale was one of the very first off-season casualties of Baltimore's last-place finish, while Burrow and the Bengals went to the Super Bowl.

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2022/1/21/22895850/ravens-news-don-wink-martindale-joe-burrow-jamarr-chase

Now - Wink has worn out his welcome in New York.

Over. Rated.  Good riddance to bad garbage.

Wasn't it Bill Tiger Johnson who was called into Paul Brown's office and told that he had quit?

Left the building so fast that he left his brown bag lunch in the refrigerator.

The players left it in there for the season as a reminder to all.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, MichaelWeston said:

Pitcher is going to go to the Raiders and coach Aidan OConnell because Marvin Lewis was nice to him. 

Instead of coaching Joe Burrow and for a head coach that just got an OC hired as a head coach........Slow news day?

If he jumps ship I suspect it will be for a chance to call plays. 

1 minute ago, MichaelWeston said:

With what purpose? If it's to get a head coaching job that makes no sense. 

Are we talking about Pitcher? Stay here and be an OC in name only, or go somewhere probably paying better and actually do OC stuff calling plays...

Pitcher is heir apparent - that's been obvious for awhile... and from a progression standpoint, to go from offensive assistant to QB coach, and then OC... that's an ideal setup. That said, who knows what other teams are offering, and if he would be the undeniable play caller somewhere else. 

My only counter would be where else would you have the chance to work with one of the best QBs in the world, with chances for a SB win... and even more exposure and opportunity for a HC gig? In a place where he knows the offense, the players, etc. Just seems too perfect... which is maybe why it won't happen? I don't know. I hope it works out, but we'll see. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, texbengal said:

Pitcher is heir apparent - that's been obvious for awhile... and from a progression standpoint, to go from offensive assistant to QB coach, and then OC... that's an ideal setup. That said, who knows what other teams are offering, and if he would be the undeniable play caller somewhere else. 

My only counter would be where else would you have the chance to work with one of the best QBs in the world, with chances for a SB win... and even more exposure and opportunity for a HC gig? In a place where he knows the offense, the players, etc. Just seems too perfect... which is maybe why it won't happen? I don't know. I hope it works out, but we'll see. 

The Raiders and Pats both hired defensive guys so it would truly be his offense but I doubt he cares about that. It's like getting the head coaching job at Akron or OC job at OSU. One you are set up for success and one failure. 

• Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, MichaelWeston said:

The Raiders and Pats both hired defensive guys so it would truly be his offense but I doubt he cares about that. It's like getting the head coaching job at Akron or OC job at OSU. One you are set up for success and one failure. 

I don't think it can be discounted the idea of being able to call your own plays being a desired thing. How many years has Eric Bieniemy been looked over in KC, the most successful franchise he could have been an OC for, because he did not call plays?

He went to a shitty organization in Washington to change that perception (and just interviewed for their head coaching position last week). Your Akron and OSU comparison would have applied there too, and Bieniemy chose Washington (Akron in your comparison).