PFF wants to see Bengals chase big name TE in free agency

Chris Roling
Thu, Jan 18, 2024, 3:48 PM CST·1 min read

2b113307e96ba268fd363fb091c94799

The Cincinnati Bengals figure to address the tight end position this offseason once again.

Whether that comes in the form of another cost-effective deal or big resource spend like a notable draft pick is up for debate.

What isn’t, though, is who the team might be interested in during free agency.

Dalton Schultz is the name listed as the one free agent the Bengals should pursue from Pro Football Focus’ Gordon McGuinness:

The Bengals could lose both Tee Higgins and Tyler Boyd, who combined to see 165 targets in 2023, this offseason. Young receivers Andrei Iosivas and Charlie Jones could step up in their places, but the Bengals adding a talented receiving tight end could help them win in the middle of the field. Schultz proved himself to be a reliable target for the Texans this year, earning a 72.2 PFF receiving grade through the wild-card round.

Schultz, going on 28 years old, appeared in 15 games last season, his first with the Houston Texans, with 635 yards and five touchdowns. That’s the third season in a row he caught at least five scores.

While the Bengals seem likely to keep Drew Sample and Tanner Hudson in some capacity, Schultz is one of those possibly cheaper options who might be able to outplay expectations.

https://sports.yahoo.com/pff-wants-see-bengals-chase-214841297.html

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Arkansas Bengal said:
Chris Roling
Thu, Jan 18, 2024, 3:48 PM CST·1 min read

2b113307e96ba268fd363fb091c94799

The Cincinnati Bengals figure to address the tight end position this offseason once again.

Whether that comes in the form of another cost-effective deal or big resource spend like a notable draft pick is up for debate.

What isn’t, though, is who the team might be interested in during free agency.

Dalton Schultz is the name listed as the one free agent the Bengals should pursue from Pro Football Focus’ Gordon McGuinness:

The Bengals could lose both Tee Higgins and Tyler Boyd, who combined to see 165 targets in 2023, this offseason. Young receivers Andrei Iosivas and Charlie Jones could step up in their places, but the Bengals adding a talented receiving tight end could help them win in the middle of the field. Schultz proved himself to be a reliable target for the Texans this year, earning a 72.2 PFF receiving grade through the wild-card round.

Schultz, going on 28 years old, appeared in 15 games last season, his first with the Houston Texans, with 635 yards and five touchdowns. That’s the third season in a row he caught at least five scores.

While the Bengals seem likely to keep Drew Sample and Tanner Hudson in some capacity, Schultz is one of those possibly cheaper options who might be able to outplay expectations.

https://sports.yahoo.com/pff-wants-see-bengals-chase-214841297.html

Good option..how cheap?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, BlackJesus said:

If we could get Bowers in the draft go for it (a true playmaker). 

Otherwise, might as well just bring back Sample and Hudson and use the money elsewhere. 

Yeah, if I never hear "cost effective" and Bengals in the same sentence again, it'll still be too soon. Mindset. From the top down. Scratch and claw for as many true playmakers as possible, and see the "cost effective" guys for what they are. Average guys who should be playing their ass off to stay on the squad. 

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

I'm fine signing Hudson and Sample and finding a 3rd guy in the draft

100%

That said…I’m not gonna bitch if they’re able to get their hands on Bowers somehow.  

• Upvote 1

They don’t trust Hudson to run block. They only put him in on passing downs. He’s a nice piece but they need a more well rounded guy. If they truly want to start running the ball, they have to stop putting these big receivers in-line and asking them to block down on these defensive ends. 

I don’t see a lot of good alternatives outside of Hunter Henry. Schultz and Fant will probably be more than they’re willing to spend. Adam Trautman maybe? Played at UD. Incredibly good blocker. Decent receiving stats. A souped up Sample. 

I’d still like to see what Gesicki could do on this team. Big fella could have a 50 catch/8 TD season.

• Upvote 1

Agree with some others that it looked like they found something with Hudson... give him a full TC with Burrow and you have something, maybe the best receiving TE they've had since Zac has been there. Add some younger guy for depth/development, add Sample and maybe Wilcox, and you've got a solid TE room.

Just because Irv Smith didn't work out, it doesn't mean that they have to go in another direction with a pricier FA if they feel good about what Hudson can bring as your starter. He won't help with blocking much, though. At least with CJ and Hurst, they weren't a total liability... not sure Hudson gives you much more than a jumbo WR in that phase, and matched up against a DE, that's a loss.  But we saw that Sample brought... not many TEs match his physicality, and I'd try and wrap him up for a longer-term deal.  

• Upvote 2

36 minutes ago, BlackJesus said:

^ I'd like to see Sample get a 4 year deal. He's the best blocking TE in football and a valued piece of the offense. 

And while he may not be the best catching TE in the game, he can do it, a number of times this season he showed that.

• Upvote 3

Lol at the idea that Sample is the best blocking TE in football. He's the best blocking TE on the Bengals roster. Hudson is a good backup TE but he's not well rounded. Will Dissly or Mycole Pruitt would be other blocking TEs. It would be nice to have a TE who didn't telegraph the play in advance to the defense. 

• Upvote 1

On 1/19/2024 at 10:07 AM, spicoli said:

I don’t see how Shultz is any better than Tanner Hudson. Give them the same amount of touches and they’d be pretty much the same player. 

Agree.

Hudson just needs more snaps and he'll be a good target for JB..

On 1/20/2024 at 5:39 AM, JC said:

They don’t trust Hudson to run block. They only put him in on passing downs. He’s a nice piece but they need a more well rounded guy. If they truly want to start running the ball, they have to stop putting these big receivers in-line and asking them to block down on these defensive ends. 

I don’t see a lot of good alternatives outside of Hunter Henry. Schultz and Fant will probably be more than they’re willing to spend. Adam Trautman maybe? Played at UD. Incredibly good blocker. Decent receiving stats. A souped up Sample. 

I’d still like to see what Gesicki could do on this team. Big fella could have a 50 catch/8 TD season.

Adam Trautman would fit nicely.

14 hours ago, Jamie_B said:

Just want to point out that the Packers, Lions, and Bills all have TEs that are rookies and are contributing. 

Yes..

I see so many young TE weapons it's hard not to get onboard with upgrading our unit.

3 minutes ago, claptonrocks said:

Yes..

I see so many young TE weapons it's hard not to get onboard with upgrading our unit.

Outside of Bowers I don't see a guy who is worth taking. I think with a few guys opting to go back to school the class has gotten weaker. I think maybe next year is the year to grab a guy.