42 minutes ago, MichaelWeston said:

i assume they will play Burrow more under center because it worked really well with Browning. But that remains to be seen. 

Agreed, just because it worked for Browning doesn't mean they will do it for Burrow. As I recall Burrow doesn't like playing under center and prefers to play in shotgun, it helps him see the field and process the defense quicker, but it remains to be seen how things will play out in 2024

3 minutes ago, claptonrocks said:

Dallas will keep Smith on a  1 year deal

Imho

They already said they aren't re-signing him, they are allowing him to be a FA. 

https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2024/3/5/24089573/dallas-cowboys-offensive-line-free-agent-tyron-smith-tyler-smith-terence-steele-tyler-biadasz

Such was the case for the Cowboys, who met with Tyron Smith’s representation during the combine. Initially, there were reports of optimism from Dallas, and the expectation that the team would be able to bring Smith back for the 2024 season. Then, Saturday morning brought news that Smith is expected to test free agency and likely land somewhere other than Dallas.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, PatternMaster said:

They already said they aren't re-signing him, they are allowing him to be a FA. 

https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2024/3/5/24089573/dallas-cowboys-offensive-line-free-agent-tyron-smith-tyler-smith-terence-steele-tyler-biadasz

33 yrs old.

Had more injury season than  not.

( His list of injuries is extensive)

At his best was an All-Pro type but not anymore.

He around 850 snaps last year and produced at a very good level.

74 off...

So.

Roll the dice if he stays healthy for the 

money you pay him?

What say you?

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, BlackJesus said:

^ If Tyron Smith would take it, I'd give him a 1 year, 13 mill deal to play RT next season. Even though he's a LT.

... And then I'd still draft the long-term RT option. 

We already did the aging, injury-prone Cowboys washout at RT.  Didn't go well.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

Except we didn't draft behind him.

Well hey JB dragged one sorry-ass OL to a Superbowl, I'm sure he can do it again.. probably. Right?

They need that $75M in cap space for.. reasons.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, T-Dub said:

Well hey JB dragged one sorry-ass OL to a Superbowl, I'm sure he can do it again.. probably. Right?

They need that $75M in cap space for.. reasons.

I'm confused about your position here. You are complaining about getting a Vet who actually played well last year, but yes is in the upper age, but also want us to get a Vet, as a bridge while drafting a guy. Because ... the last Cowboy sucked?

Literally what I said was what we didn't do last time, and what I thought you wanted to do as well? Get a Vet and draft a guy behind him??

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

I'm confused about your position here. You are complaining about getting a Vet who actually played well last year, but yes is in the upper age, but also want us to get a Vet, as a bridge while drafting a guy. Because ... the last Cowboy sucked?

Because he hasn't played a full healthy season in many years, much like that last Cowboy RT.   I know dude was an All-Pro before that but it won't help us from the bench.  So yeah, I'd prefer someone we can actually count on to suit up every week even if they're a lesser player overall.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

Because he hasn't played a full healthy season in many years, much like that last Cowboy RT.   I know dude was an All-Pro before that but it won't help us from the bench.  So yeah, I'd prefer someone we can actually count on to suit up every week even if they're a lesser player overall.

He's hell when well.

Hes not well often...

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

PFF has the top 5 Free Agent Tackles listed as 

Smith

Brown

Onwenu
Becton

and our very own Johnah Williams

I don't think either of us want Williams, and on that list the only guy that didn't miss time was Becton, who imho is very "meh" and not much of an upgrade to WIlliams. (Though Becton played 1 game the previous year).

I don't know that if they get Becton they draft a guy, as Becton is coming of his rookie deal. 

I think I would be fine with Smith if he played 13 games and the rookie got 4 games. Or hell let him and the rookie split snaps and keep him healthy enough to play the whole season. Ya got to let you guys play or they never get better and aren't ready when you need them to be the guy taking over. 

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, claptonrocks said:

33 yrs old.

74 off...

So.

money you pay him?

What say you?

Was a fantastic player, and he still plays well… when healthy. But given his history, you’ve gotta bank on the fact that he’s gonna miss 5 games or so… and when (!) the Bengals go on a long playoff run, will he be available?  And he may not practice much, a la LaEl Collins.  

Not sure who else is available but I’d kick the tires. His neck and back have been chronic, injury-wise. so it’s not an insignificant risk. But he’s still a dominant run blocker and by all accounts, a good person. 

• Upvote 1

Bengals won't go after Tyron Smith, at least in the first days of free agency. I wouldn't be surprised if the Jets sign him.

Eluemunor or Fleming, paired with a rookie would be fine. I'd like to get an acceptable vet RT and NT signed before the draft so we are free to take the best players in the draft.

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, T-Dub said:

We already did the aging, injury-prone Cowboys washout at RT.  Didn't go well.

big difference between Smith and Collins

19 hours ago, claptonrocks said:

33 yrs old.

74 off...

So.

money you pay him?

What say you?

He's the perfect bridge player for a 1st or 2nd round pick at RT, let a young guy learn behind a proven vet who has played at a HOF level

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

Bengals won't go after Tyron Smith, at least in the first days of free agency. I wouldn't be surprised if the Jets sign him.

Eluemunor or Fleming, paired with a rookie would be fine. I'd like to get an acceptable vet RT and NT signed before the draft so we are free to take the best players in the draft.

How do you know this to be true?

9 minutes ago, PatternMaster said:

How do you know this to be true?

Because Smith is rated one of the top free agents available. So he'll have a market and the Bengals won't pay up for a 33 year old player who wants a multi-year contract.

Bengals would be happy to sign him to a 1 year deal two weeks into free agency if it was for 5 mil or less. But Smith will get more than that and sign sooner than that.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

Because Smith is rated one of the top free agents available. So he'll have a market and the Bengals won't pay up for a 33 year old player who wants a multi-year contract.

Bengals would be happy to sign him to a 1 year deal two weeks into free agency if it was for 5 mil or less. But Smith will get more than that and sign sooner than that.

maybe but the Bengals could offer him a 2 year deal at $10 MM plus per year, not sure where you are getting this $5 mil or less number from. Going cheap on offensive line isn't going to work and the Bengals know this, which is why they have bought in expensive free agents in the past few years, no reason to think they will stop that trend.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

Ihinnk Smith's salary for 2023 years was around  7.5 mil.

He has a roster bonus of 6 mil goes in effect this month.

They weren't paying him bonus and sign him as well.

I think he can be had for 7 per.

The length of contract will determine who he signs with

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, Le Tigre said:

He’ll be sitting at LT for the Stealers and paid well. 

One BengalFan’s trash is another team’s treasure. 

And on it goes. 

I don't forsee Smith switching to LT  this late in his career..

Hell find a suitor to play RT..

He's made 120 mil in his long career so id expect him to sign with a true contender for it all this year.

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, PatternMaster said:

maybe but the Bengals could offer him a 2 year deal at $10 MM plus per year, not sure where you are getting this $5 mil or less number from. Going cheap on offensive line isn't going to work and the Bengals know this, which is why they have bought in expensive free agents in the past few years, no reason to think they will stop that trend.

Because that's what they offered Reiff on a 1 year deal. Smith is a better player when on the field than Reiff but has missed 33 games in the last 4 years. 

23 hours ago, claptonrocks said:

Ihinnk Smith's salary for 2023 years was around  7.5 mil.

He has a roster bonus of 6 mil goes in effect this month.

They weren't paying him bonus and sign him as well.

I think he can be had for 7 per.

The length of contract will determine who he signs with

Assuming he can pass a physical, a number of teams will want Tyron Smith to be their LT. Chiefs, Jets, and Commanders at the top of the list but maybe others too such as Patriots.

22 hours ago, claptonrocks said:

I don't forsee Smith switching to LT  this late in his career..

Hell find a suitor to play RT..

He's made 120 mil in his long career so id expect him to sign with a true contender for it all this year.

He played RT in college but has been the LT for the Cowboys his whole career. 

• Upvote 1

James for the Raiders just signed for 3 years 8 per. If you could get Lloyd Cushenberry for that you are hedging for a fall off or Karras leaving next year and you could just put Karras at LG and move Volson to the bench. Cushenberry was Burrows center at LSU. 

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, MichaelWeston said:

James for the Raiders just signed for 3 years 8 per. If you could get Lloyd Cushenberry for that you are hedging for a fall off or Karras leaving next year and you could just put Karras at LG and move Volson to the bench. Cushenberry was Burrows center at LSU. 

OK but is he better than Karras?  This thing where we should sign guys because they used to hold Joe up for kegstands back in college doesn't really hold much weight.

• Upvote 3