25 minutes ago, BlackJesus said:

^ Last season Townsend made 2.6 million. I imagine after winning the SB he likely wants a raise to at least 3 mill a year. 

To me, that's money well spent and good bang for your salary cap buck. 💰

Plus he's only 27. So give him a 5 year, 15 mill deal. 

I guess the queefs thought they couldn't sign him

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, claptonrocks said:

Did he not have more than his share of shanks?

Seems like he may have, but there's no quantifiable data to support, that I can find? With that in mind though, his average punt distances and average return yards are still equal to Huber's in most of his years, especially the first three?

• Upvote 1

The difference between a poor punter and a good punter is 3-5 yard per punt for 5 or so punts per game. That's not nothing but it's also not much and not a reason to spend a lot. I think Simmons even said that holding for the placekicker is as important as punting the ball far. 

1 hour ago, sparky151 said:

The difference between a poor punter and a good punter is 3-5 yard per punt for 5 or so punts per game. That's not nothing but it's also not much and not a reason to spend a lot. I think Simmons even said that holding for the placekicker is as important as punting the ball far. 

Townsend as a placeholder has been letter-perfect. Ask Harrison Butker. They were best kicking tandem in the league this season and a huge factor in the playoffs.

• Upvote 2

26 minutes ago, dex said:

Townsend as a placeholder has been letter-perfect. Ask Harrison Butker. They were best kicking tandem in the league this season and a huge factor in the playoffs.

He's an upgrade over the shaky Robbins.

Sign the man.

• Upvote 1

Or, we could have signed Araiza a couple weeks ago as I recommended. He's replacing Townsend in KC. 

Lots of players would be upgrades over Robbins in terms of kicking. I don't recall Robbins bobbling any snaps when holding or dropping any when punting. 

If Townsend wants a league average salary for a veteran punter, fine. If he wants top pay as an all-pro, then spend the money elsewhere. 

2 hours ago, sparky151 said:

Or, we could have signed Araiza a couple weeks ago as I recommended. He's replacing Townsend in KC. 

Lots of players would be upgrades over Robbins in terms of kicking. I don't recall Robbins bobbling any snaps when holding or dropping any when punting. 

If Townsend wants a league average salary for a veteran punter, fine. If he wants top pay as an all-pro, then spend the money elsewhere. 

Too much dragging their knuckles on things. Need to be more proactive. There was no reason to not sign Araiza. 

4 hours ago, Jamie_B said:

Too much dragging their knuckles on things. Need to be more proactive. There was no reason to not sign Araiza. 

You can count on this FO to take the path of least resistance/effort almost every time. 

Based on Simmons’ comments, there’s going to be a competition at punter, possibly from a veteran.  Nobody is happy with what we saw last year and it appears that Robbins has to perform or he’s gone.  At the same time, he’s not the first rookie to struggle and cutting bait early can lead to mistakes, like with Jake Elliott.  I’m OK with letting it play out before I start bitching.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

19 hours ago, Jamie_B said:

Too much dragging their knuckles on things. Need to be more proactive. 

But doing the minimum is a long Bengals tradition. They should have taken the Titans trade offer for pick 28 last year too. Fleecing QB-desperate teams is a good way to build your roster. Chicago took Carolina to the cleaners last year, Seattle is mid-rebuild thanks to the Broncos, Lions got back to contention quicker without Stafford, etc.

Titans wanted to move from 41 to 28 for Will Levis. Bengals said no so they had to wait overnight for the Cards to trade pick 33 to them. Cards had the Titans 3rd rounder this year but they would have had to pay more to get to our pick at 28, which came with the 5th year contract option. At a minimum, we would have gotten their 2nd and 3rd rounders last year plus their 2nd this year. That could have been Dawand Jones and Darnell Washington from the last draft, which would fix one of our needs this year and help at another position. The early 2nd would be helpful too.

I think Titans probably would have agreed to a swap of our 1st last year plus our 2nd this year for their 2nd and 3rd last season plus their 1st this year. That would be nice, getting Bowers at 7 plus Murphy or DeJean at 18. 

22 hours ago, sparky151 said:

Araiza was both a PK and punter at San Diego State. He has no placeholding experience at all. KC is taking a big gamble with him. Butker was was the best PK in the league last year with Townsend as his holder. So much of kicking is mental, even for the best place kickers. But the Chiefs are looking to save money. They might end up regretting not to sticking with the sure thing punter/placeholder.

4 hours ago, sparky151 said:

Unless he has bad hands, Araiza has plenty of time to get the knack for holding. 

Araiza first has to adjust to kicking in the pros after being out of football for two years. As for holding, it isn't where he mishandles the snap, it's whether Butker has something else to think about when he's trying to kick. You just never know what can set a kicker back from year to year. 

• Upvote 1

That’s actually a pretty good point that people don’t think about. Probably not much of a curve there but I’ve worked with guys who had a natural reaction to pull their finger early and others who couldn’t get the laces spun. Guessing his lack of holding was a reason the Bengals targeted Carmada two years ago and left without a punter once he got snatched.

• Upvote 1