I wish the best for DJ...one of my favs...disappointed that the Bengals couldn't work something out with him.  Anyway, I hope he comes back as good as ever and does well for Detroit...until we face them in the SuperBowl of course.  :)

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, BlackJesus said:

IMG_20240314_214014.jpg

Love Reader.  No doubt he was an impact player and a huge part of our success in ‘21 and ‘22.  Few players in the league can dominate like he can at his position.  That said, injuries were an issue in 3 of his 4 seasons in Cincinnati.  He only played 5 games his first year, missed 7 games in ‘22, and suffered another major quad injury late last year.  I would have wanted him back anyway but I understand the reticence to commit to a player at his age and injury history.  It’s not certain whether he’ll be ready for the start of next year and his best years are likely behind him.  I hope he does well in Detroit and there’s no doubt he leaves behind a major hole to fill.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Ugh, well, that sucks, but good for him, getting another bag. 

The Bengals knew about his injuries, including his most recent one, and the state of his rehab too… which especially for a huge guy, was gonna be tough. I know it was out there that he will be ready for the regular season… but I’m not sure about that, and where that came from (probably his agent). The fact that the Bengals weren’t willing to pony up on a 2-year deal that doesn’t appear to be much different than what an older Rankins got tells you something, IMO. Tough call. The Bengals’ pass rush got better but the run defense took a big hit. 

Bottom line, Reader had a huge impact, both on and off the field - and he’ll be sorely missed. They don’t currently have the ballast up front that he brought, along with his ability to occupy blockers in the run game. Wish him the best… guess it’s one other reason to watch more of a Detroit next year. They’ve got a hella DL, that’s for sure. 

• Upvote 3

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/2/2024 at 7:59 PM, Jamie_B said:

So apparently the Bengals didn't talk to Reader about an extension until free agency started. Sounds like he wanted to start taking earlier 

Saw Reader,in an interview with Kay Adams recently.He said ,he was there  working out and rehabbing every day,and no one from Bengals ownership,ever talked to him.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, stan said:

Saw Reader,in an interview with Kay Adams recently.He said ,he was there  working out and rehabbing every day,and no one from Bengals ownership,ever talked to him.

Sounds like he was damaged goods and not getting any younger and the Bengals knew it.

In Pumpkin:wub:  I Trust.

• Like 2

Reader also said the Lions gave him a 1 way ticket for his trip to Detroit. They weren't letting him leave without a deal.

Dehner's mailbag has this question and answer from him.

In your opinion, what’s been the Bengals’ most questionable or dumbest move so far this offseason? Or maybe it was a move they should have made? — Ed H.

I wrote this before, so I won’t go too long here. They should have paid for one of the run-stopping defensive tackles available in the early portion of free agency. A number of the best run stoppers were available for much less than $8 million AAV, and they could have stretched for it. If the plan was to let DJ Reader walk, which I didn’t necessarily have a problem with, then signing a player like Malcolm Roach, Grover Stewart or DaQuan Jones would have made sense in the big picture. They didn’t do that. Now they are forced to rely on a weak draft class. I viewed it as risky business that could have been avoided.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, sparky151 said:

Reader also said the Lions gave him a 1 way ticket for his trip to Detroit. They weren't letting him leave without a deal.

Dehner's mailbag has this question and answer from him.

In your opinion, what’s been the Bengals’ most questionable or dumbest move so far this offseason? Or maybe it was a move they should have made? — Ed H.

I wrote this before, so I won’t go too long here. They should have paid for one of the run-stopping defensive tackles available in the early portion of free agency. A number of the best run stoppers were available for much less than $8 million AAV, and they could have stretched for it. If the plan was to let DJ Reader walk, which I didn’t necessarily have a problem with, then signing a player like Malcolm Roach, Grover Stewart or DaQuan Jones would have made sense in the big picture. They didn’t do that. Now they are forced to rely on a weak draft class. I viewed it as risky business that could have been avoided.

That may be true but did those players even want to play here?

They weren't going to overpay.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, claptonrocks said:

That may be true but did those players even want to play here?

They weren't going to overpay.

Yes, because our 24 mil in cap space will score lots of touchdowns and make lots of tackles for us this year. If we're going to tag Tee and act like we're all-in, then that requires at least attempting to fill the holes. I would have given Eluemunor and Robinson the same contracts they got from the Giants and Panthers. They both signed 2 year deals for 7.5 and 8 mil per year, respectively. I bet they may like experiencing playoff games. It's not as if the Bengals couldn't easily afford both of them. 

• Upvote 2

KC won the SB and their WR are almost killing people while high in Texas car races, so playing with only upstanding citizens at this point is operating with 1 hand tied behind your back. 

Give me Sweat regardless. 😎 🍺

• Upvote 2

41 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

How you are this close to your dream and do something that stupid....

Dumb dumb dumb. I’d say that pretty much takes him off the Bengals board. 

5 minutes ago, BlackJesus said:

Mike and Duke see character flaws before the draft as "discounts" on talent.

They took Carman despite the rape allegation. 

So why remove Sweat from your board for a DUI? 

One was an allegattion, this one may be fact. If it turns out to be all true, I suspect he falls to the 5th round

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

One was an allegattion, this one may be fact. If it turns out to be all true, I suspect he falls to the 5th round

5th sounds right..( still may pass)

Character issues a concern along with the fact he's out of shape at 360 or more .

• Upvote 1

I doubt this drops Sweat very much. He's more likely to still be on the board at 49 but I'd be surprised if he lasts until pick 80.

Remember that Paul Brown once drafted a guy who was in prison because he had a parole date before camp opened. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2