If a good plan just wasn't executed...was it really a good plan?

I keep seeing from Marvin and company over the last x years...

It was a good plan, we just didn't execute.

I feel like that is like saying, the coaches did their job, but the players didn't finish.

What I want to know is...

If a plan can't be executed by the players, is it really the best plan?

At what point do you have to understand your weapons to use them effectively?

Having a good plan means having one that is capable to be done.

Thoughts?

if the players aren't capable of executing the plan, then it's a bad plan for that team at that time...however, I think most NFL coaches know how to design a solid game plan, both offensively and defensively (although some are better than others obviously)...the rubber meets the road in preparing and motivating players to execute the plan, and make the appropriate adjustments when things aren't working according to the plan...have to be able to bridge the strategy and tactics...

The reality is Marvin chokes under pressure or he allows his coordinators to do so.  Last playoff game is a perfect example.  We go down 4 points early in the second half and we abandon the run.  The in game adjustments are HORRENDOUS.

I don't think he is a bad game planer at all.  Its just when the other team makes their adjustments and starts to have success, Marvin tends to not have an answer.

I just hate hearing that statement.  I don't know that i've heard it as much from any other coach that i've listened too.  I feel like it's a backhanded way to say it isn't the coaches fault.  I'm sure that's not all it is, but it feels that way.

Plans are simply a starting point.  like a chess game.  As soon as someone makes a move not expected, you have to adjust the plan.  I feel like i've seen backyard qbs drawing on their hand do a better job of adjusting.

Same goes with clock management, etc.  I dunno.  That comment just rubs me the wrong way.  And I think the quote I read was actually from Dalton. I just feel he's repeating what he knows the coach wants to hear (i've heard marvin say it a lot).

anyway, sorry, that quote sent me flying into the past and all of a sudden I'm really annoyed again. :)

Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth - Mike Tyson

Bengals didn't really adjust the way I would have liked but to be fair they aren't playing with the same deck of cards either due to circumstances beyond their control.

You can throw deep all day long to Sanu, Wright, Sanzen, or Little.   You can pound Gio and Hil into the line.   But that's no gaurantee.

The oddity in the offensive shut down was no turnovers.     They basically stopped whatever they tried to do and you can say well they should have done more of that but it's no gaurantee it works either.

Biggest beef I have is you can't ask a o-line to set a tone pass blocking.   It's hard to set a tone when you run consecutive times, once and a total of 7 times out of 8 poessions or whatever the number was.

Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth - Mike Tyson

Bengals didn't really adjust the way I would have liked but to be fair they aren't playing with the same deck of cards either due to circumstances beyond their control.

You can throw deep all day long to Sanu, Wright, Sanzen, or Little.   You can pound Gio and Hill into the line.   But that's no guarantee.

The oddity in the offensive shut down was no turnovers.     They basically stopped whatever they tried to do and you can say well they should have done more of that but it's no guarantee it works either.

Biggest beef I have is you can't ask a o-line to set a tone pass blocking.   It's hard to set a tone when you run consecutive times, once and a total of 7 times out of 8 possessions or whatever the number was.

While the number of injuries we have had has been large, you had to know you would have some injuries. Imagine this team with Hawkins and MJ. That was easily doable and we would have been much better. I think that sometimes we get too aggressive in paying guys too early and forsake the roster for today.

Well, if they make a plan but then everyone is out there freelancing and doing their own thing, it's hard to know if it was a good plan or not.

However I will grant you that if the players have no faith in the plan or blow it off for whatever reason that points to a lack of respect or trust with the coaches.

The plan may be solid but if you don't communicate it effectively it doesn't matter.

I agree that the "execution" line can be a backhanded way of absolving the staff.

The game plan was atrocious. You knew what kind of day it was going to be when they threw no pass further than 5 yards out. Short / intermediate passes only. This tightens the D and they tee off, and that's what they did. Also, some confuse gimmick for creativity. Creativity creates off balance defenses, where gimmick is off the wall. I see occasional gimmick and no creativity. 

Inadequate execution of a bad game plan.

That would be funny if it were Marvin's job to make in game adjustments.  That's the coordinators.  Marvin's busy being mediocre in other areas, but that's not on him.  

I respect your opinion but I disagree. It is Marvin's job as a head coach to not only decide on a game plan as to how to attack an opponent but also to realize when the plan isn't working during a game and to again decide on when/what to change. He may not specifically call the plays but he has the initial & final say/input into the direction they take & the personnel used in them, absolutely.

I watched a pregame piece on Hue and Dalton, playing up the odd couple angle.

The guy who did the piece (Michael Silver?) claimed he spent the week with the team and attended the meetings where the offensive gameplan was installed.

Actually claimed before the game that the Bengals offensive gameplan was built around getting the ball into Gio's hands about 25 times, and teased that the Bengals had several "very creative" plays prepared for the Colts defense.

(((sigh)))

Too bad they abandoned the run after 2 carries. Somehow a run for less than 5 yards is worse than an incomplete pass in this team's accounting. In the past I've blamed the OC's but after seeing them scared out of their gameplan yet again by a lack of immediate success, I'm not so sure now.

I keep seeing from Marvin and company over the last x years...

It was a good plan, we just didn't execute.

I feel like that is like saying, the coaches did their job, but the players didn't finish.

What I want to know is...

If a plan can't be executed by the players, is it really the best plan?

At what point do you have to understand your weapons to use them effectively?

Having a good plan means having one that is capable to be done.

Thoughts?

Wow,  BengalSis,   nice to see you still around  :wave:

Nothing to disagree with, Sis.

We were desperately thin at receiver, only having Sanu really. Gresham did okay but on past history we can't trust him. It should have been a gameplan of 99% runs, spelling Gio and Hill, or Proset to keep both in.

Instead we went so pass-heavy it was a joke. Sure the players shit the bed too, but the gameplan was the worst I've seen in years, and possibly the worst since I've been able to follow the games live (about 13 years).

Archived