Bengals’ Henry hires new agent, on the right track

[quote][size=5][b]Bengals’ Henry hires new agent, on the right track[/b][/size]
By Carlos "Big C" Holmes | Tuesday, February 17, 2009, 10:15 PM

Cincinnati Bengals wide receiver Chris Henry vowed to NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell to make some changes in his life before serving a 4-game suspension during the 2008 season. So far, Henry has stayed true to his word and is transforming his life both on and off the field in a positive way.

As of February 18, 2009, Henry will have a new agent in David Lee of PlayersRep Sports Management. Lee also represents Bengals defensive end Jonathan Fanene and has an impressive list of other NFL clients. The agent is well respected throughout the league for his work as well as holding clients to a higher standard. That makes this a perfect match for Henry who is tying to create a new image for himself.

“I want to put Chris [Henry] on the right path,” Lee said during a phone interview Tuesday night Feb.17. “Obviously, he has to make a lot of good decisions in the future down the road. I want to get his life straightened out off the field and just let him focus on football and doing the right things. I hope this turns into a really good success story.”

The reason for a switch in agents had nothing to with bad blood with Henry’s former agent Marvin Frazier. He just wanted someone who could help him further along in his career.

Lee already has Henry taking a positive approach to the offseason. The receiver is currently working out in California with quarterback Carson Palmer and receiver T.J. Houshmandzadeh and will be until March 13. Keep in mind that Henry never worked out with any of his Bengal teammates during the course of the offseason until now.

According to a source with knowledge of the situation, Palmer is excited to be working with Henry this offseason. It was stated that Palmer and Houshmandzadeh has been a positive influence for Henry and both have high expectations for the receiver this season.

“I really want to see Chris succeed, I really do,” Houshmandzadeh said. “He’s a great person and I want to see him succeed more than anything.”

Henry is out to prove to the people of Cincinnati that he is not the person they perceive him to be. He has already informed his new agent that he wants to get involved in the community and show people who he really is.

Lee said it’s not about the mistakes of Henry’s past, but the effort he’s making to move in the right direction.

The agent’s final quote was “stay tuned, because something really great is going to happen with this kid.”[/quote]

[url="http://www.daytondailynews.com/o/content/shared-gen/blogs/dayton/big_c_nfl_blitz/entries/2009/02/17/bengals_henry_hires_new_agent.html"]http://www.daytondailynews.com/o/content/s..._new_agent.html[/url]

[quote name='turningpoint' post='747386' date='Feb 18 2009, 08:40 AM']I'll believe it when i see it.[/quote]

I'm inclined to agree but Chris has been walking the straight and narrow for a fair stretch of time (for him anyway). The agent change, the working out in Cali all should prove for an interesting upcoming year w/ a coach that admittedly did not want him back.

That being said, if Chad is traded who here feels good about a WR Corp of Henry, Simpson, and Caldwell?

[quote name='BengalsNYC' post='747390' date='Feb 18 2009, 09:13 AM']I'm inclined to agree but Chris has been walking the straight and narrow for a fair stretch of time (for him anyway). The agent change, the working out in Cali all should prove for an interesting upcoming year w/ a coach that admittedly did not want him back.

That being said, if Chad is traded who here feels good about a WR Corp of Henry, Simpson, and Caldwell?[/quote]

I don't the 1st 3 games,but after that i think they'll be playing well.

IMO they would double Henry, and caldwell would be catching a bunch of 5-6yder's, and simpson would make some big plays.

I think CH finally has his head on straight.

I think he also realizes that with TJ all but gone, and going into the last year of his contract, he has a HUGE opportunity in front of him.

I would not be surprised if he has a break out year this year.

That is assuming the O-line can keep Carson on his feet long enough.

[quote name='Rumble In the Jungle' post='747429' date='Feb 18 2009, 01:17 PM']if all this is true, then i am very proud of him and mike browns
decision to bring him back. now, did someone say that he's playing for a contract year ??? :blink:[/quote]

For the most part, contract years are not necessarily a good thing, Albert Haynesworth is the best example, didnt do much until his rookie contract was about to expire. But with Henry, i see it as the best possible scenario. This should help him breakout and become a real talent if he is truly as good as his talent has flashed in the past. I'm excited to see what kind of mettle this kid has.

[quote name='BengalsNYC' post='747390' date='Feb 18 2009, 07:13 AM']I'm inclined to agree but Chris has been walking the straight and narrow for a fair stretch of time (for him anyway). The agent change, the working out in Cali all should prove for an interesting upcoming year w/ a coach that admittedly did not want him back.

That being said, if Chad is traded who here feels good about a WR Corp of Henry, Simpson, and Caldwell?[/quote]

Well in that case we would be downplaying the role of WR and concentrating more on RB/TE plays in passing. Could work.

[quote name='GoBengals' post='747552' date='Feb 18 2009, 07:16 PM']wow, your the biggest sour puss ive ever seen.

whats your problem anyway?

ps: you can probably take nugent off your list in your sig..[/quote]
Why should there be no room to say "I'll wait to see it."

Has Chris Henry not gotten into some kind of altercation every offseason since he's been a Bengal?
Has Chris Henry not uttered those same exact words before?

Hey, he might actually be turning a corner, who knows, but he's got to make it through an offseason without getting into some kind incident and it's still only Feb.

Would you trust some kid whose been caught taking from the till more than once to get change from the till?

Even without the off the field stuff, Henry hasn't shown jack shit on the field. Is he a physical freak? sure. Has it translated into his play? Not with any consistency.

I'll believe it when I see it is the only way to look at this kid at this point.

That said, I hope he gets it done, keeps his head out of his ass, and translates his talent into production. Somebody has to. I'm not putting any bets on Mr Big Hands, that's for damn sure.

[quote name='Bengal Migration' post='747605' date='Feb 18 2009, 10:50 PM']Even without the off the field stuff, Henry hasn't shown jack shit on the field. Is he a physical freak? sure. Has it translated into his play? Not with any consistency.

I'll believe it when I see it is the only way to look at this kid at this point.

That said, I hope he gets it done, keeps his head out of his ass, and translates his talent into production. Somebody has to. I'm not putting any bets on Mr Big Hands, that's for damn sure.[/quote]
Well said and I agree. I am far less concerned about his off field shit (because it's only going to take one more incident and then none of us will have to worry about him [i]at all[/i]) than I am about his development within the offense. He hasn't really shown the same kind of flashes since 2005, due to injuries, suspensions and a lack of work with Carson and the offense. He didn't show me anything last season. I suppose we will see.

He has all the physical tools to break out and be a star, but there are certainly good reasons for doubting that outcome.

[quote name='Bunghole' post='747620' date='Feb 19 2009, 12:13 AM']Well said and I agree. I am far less concerned about his off field shit (because it's only going to take one more incident and then none of us will have to worry about him [i]at all[/i]) than I am about his development within the offense. He hasn't really shown the same kind of flashes since 2005, due to injuries, suspensions and a lack of work with Carson and the offense. He didn't show me anything last season. I suppose we will see.

He has all the physical tools to break out and be a star, but there are certainly good reasons for doubting that outcome.[/quote]
[b]I hope he stays clean. I like the fact that he is working in the offseason with Carson. He has tons of talent. If he works hard he could be fantatstic. [/b]

[quote name='BengalsNYC' post='747390' date='Feb 18 2009, 09:13 AM']That being said, if Chad is traded who here feels good about a WR Corp of Henry, Simpson, and Caldwell?[/quote]
That lineup would make me a little nervous just because there are so many unprovens. For some reason though, adding some more question marks in a vet like Washington and a rookie like Maclin would suddenly make me feel a helluva lot better. With a WR group of those guys I would have to think Carson could make something work with all that talent.
Plus, if those guys are our WR's it must mean the Bengals traded Chad for a pick, which hopefully would be a first rounder they use on Alex Mack, James Laurinitis or Knowshon Moreno.

[quote name='oldschooler' post='747385' date='Feb 18 2009, 05:21 AM'][url="http://www.daytondailynews.com/o/content/shared-gen/blogs/dayton/big_c_nfl_blitz/entries/2009/02/17/bengals_henry_hires_new_agent.html"]http://www.daytondailynews.com/o/content/s..._new_agent.html[/url][/quote]
Anyone know if they're still going to Home depot center in Carson to practice? I wanna get some pics but don't know when to go

It's definately great that he's working out with Carson during the offseason, something he's never done before. I think its also great if he left his "friends" back in Ohio while he's out there. Still makes me slightly worried that he's now out in Cali, where there's likely much more temptations and ways to get in trouble than Ohio. At least he's with Carson and TJ though. I think it helps that he now has a an agent well respected around the league as opposed to his former agent who never seemed to do much for him and sounded more like a drain on Henry than an asset.

I believe his agent that Henry WANTS to make all of the changes talked about. I'm still slightly worried he'll slip up though.

[quote][size=5][b]Agent should ‘party’ after getting dumped by Henry; ‘You’re Fired!’ sounds so good[/b][/size]
By Chick Ludwig | Thursday, February 19, 2009, 09:09 AM

BEST OF LUCK TO HENRY’S

NEW AGENT, DAVE LEE;

HE’S GOING TO NEED IT

Here’s what Marvin Frazier received for his years of service with Cincinnati Bengals wide receiver Chris Henry.

“YOU’RE FIRED!”

If I were Frazier, I’d go to my favorite restaurant — preferably a candlelit table with a red checkerboard cloth — pop a champagne cork and celebrate.

Because his nightmares, headaches and misery are finally over.

Chris HenryFrazier is a class guy, a professional guy, who stood firmly in Henry’s corner during the player’s every wrong move, and he never dodged the media. He was up-front, honest and patient with his client…and with knuckleheads like me when I called, pressing him for information regarding Henry.

I’m not sure if I should feel happy or sad for Henry’s new agent, Dave Lee, of PlayersRep Sports Management.

Lee is a great guy, a personable guy, and an extremely hard worker. He’s a good guy to have in your corner. But I must say that Lee has his work cut out for him because he’s dealing with a talented, but high-risk, volatile player in Henry.

Dumping Frazier for Lee is not a surprising move. Henry enters the final season of a two-year contract, and he’ll be seeking a new deal, either in Cincinnati or someplace else. Here’s hoping it’s anywhere but Cincinnati, where Henry has worn out his welcome.

Here’s the skinny on Lee:

An agent since 2001, Dave joined PlayersRep after working for 2 years with a sports marketing company prior to becoming a certified agent. Initially focusing on marketing and public relations for clients, Dave continues in that role but also has negotiated dozens of NFL Contracts. In addition, Dave is in charge of new client development as he directs/coordinates all player activities leading up to the NFL Draft each year.

Lee’s new-client stable just expanded by one with the addition of Henry.

Here’s hoping Lee can continue to practice his craft and his career doesn’t get reduced into a glorified baby-sitter’s role.

Good luck, Dave. You’re gonna need it.

For more on PlayersRep, go to:

[url="http://www.playersrep.com/"]http://www.playersrep.com/[/url][/quote]

[url="http://www.daytondailynews.com/o/content/shared-gen/blogs/dayton/chickludwig/entries/2009/02/19/agent_should_party_after_getti.html"]http://www.daytondailynews.com/o/content/s...fter_getti.html[/url]

Comments to the above posting of Chick's (same link)

[b]By Chick Doesn't know football [/b]

February 19, 2009 12:28 PM | Link to this

Yeah that is a great Idea Chick. Just when he turns his life around and turns into a great pro let him go catch TD’s for the Ravens. Stick to high school basketball you don’t have a clue about football. Your blog is awful! We want Bengals news IDIOT!

[b]By Chick Ludwig [/b] :pointlaff:

February 19, 2009 1:18 PM | Link to this

Rip me all you want. Just do me one favor. Like millions of others, please keep reading. Cheers, Chick

:lol:

From John Thornton's blog . . .

[quote][size=5][b]Agents[/b][/size]
February 19th, 2009 | Bengals

Let me start off by saying that I have had four agents during my 10 year career. I had three during my first six years. When players change agents, it could mean one of a few things. I’ve seen guys change agents because the agent didn’t give the player enough attention. Some guys leave because the agent didn’t get them any endorsements. Some guys leave because the agent didn’t send them a care package during training camp. Really. And some guys fire their agents because the agent failed to deliver on a new contract that he promised. In the case of Bengals WR Chris Henry, I think he had a few things going on. His agent had been with him through the rough times. Now things are going pretty smooth. Chris feels like he needs a fresh start and he is in the last year of his contract. So that means Chris need to do things differently than he did them during his first four years in the NFL. And sometimes that means getting rid of your agent.

Chris wanted someone to help him and other people forget about his past. Someone to shoot him a phone call and say something that will cheer you up during a slump. Someone different than you had before. A different voice. Chris sees an opportunity to have a great year and his fans should be happy about that. He will always have detractors, thats just a way of life. He got in a lot of trouble and has paid a heavy price. But if Cincinnati fans can get a focused and changed Chris Henry, look out. As we say, Don’t hate. I’ve been reading some hater stories about Chris. Don’t waste your breath. He doesn’t care. If he is out in California training right now with Carson and TJ, that’s big. Enjoy it while you can. He will have a big year and someone will give him big money. If…..he stays out of trouble. His contract will have plenty of clauses in it, but those dollars will be real.[/quote]

[url="http://www.allproblogger.com/?p=691"]http://www.allproblogger.com/?p=691[/url]

[quote name='Quaker' post='747560' date='Feb 18 2009, 07:54 PM']Why should there be no room to say "I'll wait to see it."

Has Chris Henry not gotten into some kind of altercation every offseason since he's been a Bengal?
Has Chris Henry not uttered those same exact words before?

Hey, he might actually be turning a corner, who knows, but he's got to make it through an offseason without getting into some kind incident and it's still only Feb.

Would you trust some kid whose been caught taking from the till more than once to get change from the till?[/quote]

when was the last time henry was in trouble?

it was a LONG time ago...

[quote name='GoBengals' post='748027' date='Feb 20 2009, 12:22 PM']when was the last time henry was in trouble?

it was a LONG time ago...[/quote]
Wasn't his last arrest in April 2008?

I think most fans reaction to this would be "I'll believe it when I see it". How many times has he crushed their confidence in him? Whats that old saying, "Burn me once, shame on you; Burn me twice, shame on me"? And he's burned us more than twice. I hope he does everything he says he's going to do. I just think most people are afraid to get burned yet again.

Archived