W/L predictions thread

[quote]The time to judge him as a coach is not when things are going well, like now, but when it starts to go sour.[/quote]

I think we have seen that time.. Last year the team was most definitely in the abyss.. Not only had they lost their starting QB, but were completely riddled with injuries across the board and by mid season they were out of the race.

I watched every game intently (most twice). And the thing I was looking for was.. How much effort are they showing out there.. Are they fighting?

The answers to these questions go to the very heart of leadership in the situation we were in at the time. What I saw was a team that never quit, never gave up, and still kept swinging until the last game of the season.. Even though everyone knew it was hopeless they pulled together and made the best of the situation.

With the adversity they faced last season we were lucky to get 4 wins. The fact that they kept struggling, and the way they continue to buy into the system I think refutes your observations.

[quote name='top6' date='27 August 2009 - 09:45 AM' timestamp='1251380743' post='795181']
My official predictions, with predicted scores (an exercise in futility I know):

[b]vs Denver Broncos (LOSE: 17-6) (RECORD: 0-1)[/b]
at Green Bay (LOSE: 21-14) (RECORD: 0-2)
[b]vs Pittsburgh Steelers (LOSE: 37-7) (RECORD: 0-3)[/b]
at Cleveland Browns (WIN: 14-9) (RECORD: 1-3)
at Baltimore Ravens (LOSE: 13-3) (RECORD: 1-4)
vs Houston Texans (WIN: 21-14) (RECORD: 2-4)
vs Chicago Bears (WIN: 24-17) (RECORD: 3-4)
vs Baltimore Ravens (LOSE: 10-6) (RECORD: 3-5)
[b]at Pittsburgh Steelers (LOSE: 42-6) (RECORD: 3-6)[/b]
at Oakland Raiders (WIN: 14-10) (RECORD: 4-6)
vs Cleveland Browns (WIN: 17-10) (RECORD: 5-6)
vs Detroit Lions (WIN: 21-17) (RECORD: 6-6)
at Minnesota Vikings Loss (WIN: 24-21) (RECORD: 7-6)
[b]at San Diego Chargers (LOSE: 35-3) (RECORD: 7-7)[/b]
vs KC Chiefs (WIN: 17-7) (RECORD: 8-7)
vs NY Jets (WIN: 10-3) (RECORD: 9-7)

Wow, I just predicted the Bengals to have a winning record. May be the first time ever. I tried to avoid it, but that is one easy schedule.

Still, that won't be enough to make the playoffs. And they could easily lose the Bears, Vikings and Jets games. And one or both of the Browns games. And they are only one sprained ankle on the OL away from disaster (given that this is a lost year for Smith)*, and by the end of the year we could be looking at Jordan Palmer starting (and god knows who backing up).

*Hey! Remember I got called an idiot on this board for saying Smith was out "indefinitely." Do we have a definite date on his return yet?

In any event - Who Dey.
[/quote]

I really don't see us losing to Denver. Orton is not very good, and their defense was awful last year.

Also, I think we will be good enough on both sides of the ball that I don't see anyone blowing us out this year. Even if Carson gets hurt again I think the defense will be good enough to keep things close, barring another serious rash of injuries.

[quote name='top6' date='27 August 2009 - 10:45 AM' timestamp='1251380743' post='795181']
My official predictions, with predicted scores (an exercise in futility I know):

vs Denver Broncos (LOSE: 17-6) (RECORD: 0-1)
vs Pittsburgh Steelers (LOSE: 37-7) (RECORD: 0-3)
at Pittsburgh Steelers (LOSE: 42-6) (RECORD: 3-6)
at San Diego Chargers (LOSE: 35-3) (RECORD: 7-7)

Wow, I just predicted the Bengals to have a winning record. May be the first time ever. I tried to avoid it, but that is one easy schedule.

Still, that won't be enough to make the playoffs. And they could easily lose the Bears, Vikings and Jets games. [b]And one or both of the Browns games.[/b] And they are only one sprained ankle on the OL away from disaster (given that this is a lost year for Smith)*, and by the end of the year we could be looking at Jordan Palmer starting (and god knows who backing up).

*Hey! Remember I got called an idiot on this board for saying Smith was out "indefinitely." Do we have a definite date on his return yet?

In any event - Who Dey.
[/quote]

well there went any credibility you had left.

[quote name='Bengals1181' date='27 August 2009 - 10:46 AM' timestamp='1251380798' post='795182']
fair enough. I don't agree, but thanks for the explanation.
[/quote]

Thank you for your response.
I hope you are right and I'm the one who is way off base.
As I said, I think they do have the horses.

[quote name='Bengals1181' date='27 August 2009 - 10:56 AM' timestamp='1251384982' post='795208']
well there went any credibility you had left.
[/quote]
I guess the Browns are going 0-16 this year? They are probably going to win a game or 2. They certainly kicked the Bengals' ass last year (in Cincinnati).

You can never be too certain with division games. Weird things tend to happen now and again. Who knows? We could even sweep the Steelers.

[quote name='top6' date='27 August 2009 - 12:08 PM' timestamp='1251385712' post='795211']
I guess the Browns are going 0-16 this year? They are probably going to win a game or 2. [b]They certainly kicked the Bengals' ass last year (in Cincinnati). [/b]

You can never be too certain with division games. Weird things tend to happen now and again. Who knows? We could even sweep the Steelers.
[/quote]

you've got to be fucking kidding me. :lol: It was 17-12 late in the 4th qtr, and Carson wasn't even playing. Nor was Benson on the team yet.

Good grief. :doh: Why don't you just admit you don't like the Bengals?

I believe that we are going, if football healthy, at least 11-5 this season. We'll split with ratbirds and squeelers, lose to Chargers in a close one on the road, and lose to either Minny or Chicago, but not both. We will also lose to the Jets in the meadowlands the last game of the season, because we will be resting the starters for the playoffs. I understand the doubt of some of you, but after watching hard knocks over the last 3 weeks, I think you see the makings of a very good team. There are a lot of guys really fighting, and we're going to cut guys this year that will make other team's 53. I just don't see the pompous assholes that we have had in the past, I see a Team of guys committed to a goal. Zimmer said it best when he talked about them all being castoffs and the unwanted and coming together to do great things, and I think they respect themselves and the coaches. I just have a feeling that I truly haven't had since '88 about this team.

Again, I picked the Bengals to beat the Browns.

And were you at that game? Believe me, the Browns won in fairly convincing fashion.

And why are you so sure Palmer will be starting both games against the Browns this year? He is a question mark to me until he - you know - shows he can play football for more than a few series without having to miss the next several weeks of practice. FWIW, I picked them to go 9-7 assuming Palmer misses significant time and/or is not 100%.

[quote name='Lucid' date='27 August 2009 - 09:53 AM' timestamp='1251381190' post='795184']
I think we have seen that time.. Last year the team was most definitely in the abyss.. Not only had they lost their starting QB, but were completely riddled with injuries across the board and by mid season they were out of the race.

I watched every game intently (most twice). And the thing I was looking for was.. How much effort are they showing out there.. Are they fighting?

The answers to these questions go to the very heart of leadership in the situation we were in at the time. What I saw was a team that never quit, never gave up, and still kept swinging until the last game of the season.. Even though everyone knew it was hopeless they pulled together and made the best of the situation.

With the adversity they faced last season we were lucky to get 4 wins. The fact that they kept struggling, and the way they continue to buy into the system I think refutes your observations.
[/quote]

yea, the only people who dont respect marvin are local blowhard reporters who get bashed by him on their pointless repetitive articles and people who read those articles as gospel.

[quote name='akiliMVP' date='27 August 2009 - 09:57 AM' timestamp='1251381452' post='795187']
There is no way they lose to the Broncos. Did you see Kyle Orton's left handed interception last week?
[/quote]

i must see this.. *goes to nfl.com for highlights*

[quote name='top6' date='27 August 2009 - 11:27 AM' timestamp='1251386862' post='795217']
Again, I picked the Bengals to beat the Browns.

And were you at that game? Believe me, the Browns won in fairly convincing fashion.

And why are you so sure Palmer will be starting both games against the Browns this year? He is a question mark to me until he - you know - shows he can play football for more than a few series without having to miss the next several weeks of practice. FWIW, I picked them to go 9-7 assuming Palmer misses significant time and/or is not 100%.
[/quote]

what section in the stadium do you sit in?

[quote name='top6' date='27 August 2009 - 10:45 AM' timestamp='1251380743' post='795181']

Still, that won't be enough to make the playoffs. And they could easily lose the Bears, Vikings and Jets games. And one or both of the Browns games. And they are only one sprained ankle on the OL away from disaster (given that this is a lost year for Smith)*, and by the end of the year we could be looking at Jordan Palmer starting (and god knows who backing up).

In any event - Who Dey.
[/quote]
This is the most likely of all circumstances, methinks.

[quote name='GoBengals' date='27 August 2009 - 12:44 PM' timestamp='1251391482' post='795237']
what section in the stadium do you sit in?
[/quote]

OK, in fairness, I was in 315, second to last row. (That was my first year w/ season tickets and I asked for aisle seats.) So maybe it was closer than I could see or can remember. But I seem to remember being pretty down that whole Browns game. Although now that I think about it, it may have been more in a "it's a shame either team has to win this game" kind of way, rather than a "the Browns are kicking our ass" kind of way. But I still stand by my point, which is that strange things happen in division games.

Now I am in the upper deck, but have moved up 15 rows. (Still on the aisle.) In a year or two, I may even be able to see the ball clearly!!!!!

Denver - Open with a Win 1-0
Green bay would be nice - unlikely 1-1
Pittsburgh is a split 2-2
Baltimore is a split 3-3
Clevland is a sweep 5-3
Houston is a Loss 5-4
Chicago is a win 6-4
Raiders is a win 7-4
Detriot is a win 8-4
Minnesota - didn't make it 8-5
Chargers - nope 8-6
Jets - nope close 8-7
Kansas - Win 9-7

[b]vs Denver Broncos (LOSE: 17-6) (RECORD: 0-1)[/b]

In any event - Who Dey.
[/quote]

Wow you lost me after your first scoring prediction. 17-6 vs denver. What makes you think we only score 6 vs denver. Good god if we do that that would spell death for the season. if we only score 6 in our opener vs denver than were doomed for maybe 4-5 wins.

I'm thinking

Division 4 - 2
AFCW 3 - 1
NFCN 3 - 1
Jets/Hou 1 - 1

Overall 11 - 5

OL is vastly improved over last year, WR much better, RB better.

when you have a former ravens and browns scout tweet (movethesticks)
Be sure to watch the Bengals front 7 tonight... They have some exciting young players with big upside

You've got to be optimistic.

[quote name='BengalsFREAK' date='27 August 2009 - 03:32 AM' timestamp='1251358379' post='795132']
6-10 or 7-9. Hate to say it, but there isn't anything substantial to build a lot of hope around with this team. This team has plenty of promise, but promise really doesn't equate to shit. You always hear Marvin say "I see better than I hear"....and that's exactly how I feel. When this team SHOWS me something good, I'll drink the Kool-aide. Until then...it's a .500 or worse team.
[/quote]

I agree 100 percent. The line has looked...ok...in the preseason. And even a healthy Carson Palmer has gotten worse throughout his career. Can the Bengals run? How many sacks will they give up? Can they play defense they way everyone assumes they will? Too many major questions for a playoff, or even a winning team.

[quote name='Bengals1181' date='27 August 2009 - 10:46 AM' timestamp='1251380798' post='795182']
fair enough. I don't agree, but thanks for the explanation.
[/quote]

Hey 1181.
Just got back from the game and if that was not a carved in stone Marvinized bucket of slops...
Not prepared, not motivated, and seemed to be clueless. Like Marvin.
All the ridiculous penalties, blown assignments and stupid turnovers... sure, that stuff happens but not
nearly as often to "good" well coached teams.

I believe the team takes on the personality of the coach. And that looked like a bunch of Marvins out there.
Bet they could all give one heck of a press conference "I saw some good things out there tonight".

No respect, fear or admiration for the coach; no reason to put out for him and win one for the Marvver.

This why I say a benevolent 8-8.
The players certainly deserve better.
So do us fans.

[quote name='top6' date='27 August 2009 - 09:45 AM' timestamp='1251380743' post='795181']

In any event - Who Dey.
[/quote]

Not sure what idiot wrote the above, but now that I have seen this team with my own eyes - and not through the rose-colored lenses of NFL Films and preseason games against teams I can only assume were not trying - this is a 2-4 win team at best. Frankly, they desperately needed a major upgrade at offensive line, but it turned out that $5 million was more important to Mike and Katie than protecting their $100 million QB. I hope they invest the $5 million soundly, or splurge on something nice, because this team sure as shit isn't going to win a lot football games.

New prediction: by the Vikings game, the Bengals are on their fourth QB and have 1 win. Maybe 2 wins if they can string together a few TD drives based solely on QB scrambles and defensive penalties. Write it down.

[quote name='top6' date='28 August 2009 - 12:13 AM' timestamp='1251429219' post='795658']
Not sure what idiot wrote the above, but now that I have seen this team with my own eyes - and not through the rose-colored lenses of NFL Films and preseason games against teams I can only assume were not trying - this is a 2-4 win team at best. Frankly, they desperately needed a major upgrade at offensive line, but it turned out that $5 million was more important to Mike and Katie than protecting their $100 million QB. I hope they invest the $5 million soundly, or splurge on something nice, because this team sure as shit isn't going to win a lot football games.

New prediction: by the Vikings game, the Bengals are on their fourth QB and have 1 win. Maybe 2 wins if they can string together a few TD drives based solely on QB scrambles and defensive penalties. Write it down.
[/quote]

You are an idiot. Write it down.

[quote name='CJandRudiJ' date='27 August 2009 - 11:28 PM' timestamp='1251430123' post='795666']
You are an idiot. Write it down.
[/quote]

I don't think I have enough room in my house to store the paper I would need if I had to write down every time someone called me an idiot.

So I'll just try to remember this post.

[quote name='top6' date='28 August 2009 - 09:11 AM' timestamp='1251461518' post='795711']
[b]I don't think I have enough room in my house to store the paper I would need if I had to write down every time someone called me an idiot.[/b]

So I'll just try to remember this post.
[/quote]

Ok Ignatius J Reilly.... I'm not sure that is something you should point out to people.

[quote name='High School Harry' date='27 August 2009 - 11:42 PM' timestamp='1251427362' post='795650']
Hey 1181.
Just got back from the game and if that was not a carved in stone Marvinized bucket of slops...
Not prepared, not motivated, and seemed to be clueless. Like Marvin.
All the ridiculous penalties, blown assignments and stupid turnovers... sure, that stuff happens but not
nearly as often to "good" well coached teams.

I believe the team takes on the personality of the coach. And that looked like a bunch of Marvins out there.
Bet they could all give one heck of a press conference "I saw some good things out there tonight".

No respect, fear or admiration for the coach; no reason to put out for him and win one for the Marvver.

This why I say a benevolent 8-8.
The players certainly deserve better.
So do us fans.
[/quote]

since when do mental mistakes equate lack of respect for the coaches?

Archived