BENGALS KEEP ZIMMER!!! - 3 YEAR DEAL!!!

I think it was Jamie B who said it best above..... Absolutely the best signing of the offseason, no matter what else happens. This alone makes the offseason for me. [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif[/img]

[quote name='GoBengals' date='12 January 2010 - 01:56 PM' timestamp='1263326212' post='856647']
im all late on the news cause im in airport going to denver..

but SUPER SWEET!!!
[/quote]
So you didn't hear that Brat is going to Denver to take over the Broncos offense? :ph34r: He loves you, man!

[quote name='Jamie_B' date='12 January 2010 - 01:58 PM' timestamp='1263322713' post='856597']
http://blogs.nfl.com/2010/01/12/bengals-retain-defensive-coordinator-zimmer/

Bengals defensive coordinator Mike Zimmer has signed a three-year contract to remain with the team, a source with knowledge of the situation said Tuesday.

Zimmer’s retention – his contract was set to expire – is considered a huge deal for a team that won the AFC North this season, largely on the strength of its defense.

Zimmer, who just completed his second season with Cincinnati, was reported to have been targeted for the defensive coordinator job in Washington under new coach Mike Shanahan. Zimmer also figured to have other suitors based on the job he has done in turning around the Bengals’ defense.

However, Zimmer’s relationship with coach Marvin Lewis, his affinity for several of his players and [b]ownership’s commitment[/b] were factors in his decision to stay with the Bengals.
[/quote]

Mike Brown's been committed? That's even better news!

[size="5"][b]Bengals welcome back Zimmer[/b][/size]
GEOFF HOBSON

Posted Jan 12, 2010

Updated: 4 p.m.

Mike Zimmer confirmed Tuesday in a text message he is returning to the Bengals as defensive coordinator and the Bengals made it official later in the day.

Zimmer wouldn't elaboate but it is believed the deal was offered before he left for Dallas on Monday to rejoin his family as well as check up on son Adam's trip to the NFC playoffs as the Saints assistant linebackers coach.

It turns out to be the Bengals' first strike in free agency, less than 72 hours after the Wild Card loss to the Jets, and it may end up to be their biggest heading into 2010. In two years Zimmer has taken the Bengals from 27th in the NFL to fourth with a unit that fueled this past season's six-game sweep of the AFC North in which the Bengals allowed just seven offensive touchdowns.

"Great news. We've got the main dude back. I can't wait to get it going again," said defensive tackle Domata Peko. "I'm happy for him because he said he wanted to come back and the reason he wanted to come back was because he loved us and he didn't want to have to start all over again."

If Zimmer didn't want to start over, neither did Bengals head coach Marvin Lewis. Zimmer coached in Dallas for 13 seasons, the last seven as the Cowboys defensive coordinator, before taking the same job with the Falcons in 2007. When that staff crumbled late that season with the defection of head coach Bobby Petrino to Arkansas, Falcons offensive coordinator and former Bengals receivers coach Hue Jackson recommended Zimmer to Lewis in his search for a third defensive coordinator.

“I love working with Marvin,” Zimmer said in a news release. “He’s a great coach who does a terrific job, and he has been like family to me through all the ordeal our family has gone through. And I really respect the group of players we have. They have worked exceptionally hard, and I know they join me in knowing we have to keep improving as we move forward. “

Zimmer's story became a main thread of the Bengals' improbable 10-6 run. Less than 72 hours before the Bengals played in Baltimore, his wife Vikiki died suddenly on Oct. 8. Zimmer decided to coach with his three children and father in the stands, and the Bengals responded with a last-minute 17-14 victory in which they held the NFL's third-ranked offense to one touchdown.

"I don't think anybody could have handled it any better," said Bengals offensive coordinator Bob Bratkowski, who has known Zimmer for 30 years. "He had to become both a father and a mother to his kids."

Rookie SAM linebacker Rey Maualuga recalled Sunday’s emotional end-of-year meeting in which Zimmer told the defense not to believe any of the rumors, that he had not talked to any other teams, and if he came back it was only because of the people in that room.

“He was pretty emotional,” Maualuga said. “That touched us. He said, ‘You guys keep in touch with me, text me.’ Then he just walked off. It was like, ‘Wow.’

“They did a good job re-signing him,” Maualuga said. “I couldn’t imagine being coached by any another defensive coordinator. I know it’s only my first year, but the passion he brings and how he teaches, it’s beyond crazy. With his attitude and our defense’s attitude, it’s a match.”

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Bengals-welcome-back-Zimmer/1dbb17ca-dbe3-4329-8d51-4629ef0f45cc

Archived