Mort Report: Bengals fire OC Bob Bratkowski

[quote name='GoBengals' timestamp='1296498202' post='966802']
then who cares where our ex kickers go? what kind of response is that? everyone seemed to care where frasier went and what he is doing.. everyone sure as fuck cared where hue jackson went, everyone cares where most ex coaches and ex players go... fan drama means nothing to those that matter.. what negative has the drama caused? fan bitching? thats going to happen anyway..
[/quote]

No one cared where Shayne went when he left. And they certainly didn't start pontificating the day he played his last Bengals game. They just wanted him gone. It's understandable from the fan perspective.

Will people have opinions and discuss if he does end up somewhere else...most likely. But today...they don't care where he goes. They only care that he isn't here.

I have nothing personal against him. I don't like to see people lose their jobs any more than you or anyone else does. But this team needed this (and others) change, and most are happy to see it. The last thing I care about right now is wondering what team will want his services.

Does that mean you can't guess? nope. continue with your guess of Raiders. I'm just saying I don't care... If anything, I hope he stays in the division...

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1296498790' post='966822']
oh shucks, then we'll have an OC and a HC on the same page philosophically.

I can live with that.
[/quote]

ML is far from an Offensive wizard given that he comes from the other side of the ball so your statement doesn't work for me. I'd rather have a stud from the outside like a Mike Martz type. Since they made the move to rid themselves of Brat they need to go all the way, not simply promote from within. Complete change in this case is best for everyone.

[quote name='Harley' timestamp='1296499486' post='966840']
[b]ML is far from an Offensive wizard given that he comes from the other side of the ball so your statement doesn't work for me.[/b] I'd rather have a stud from the outside like a Mike Martz type. Since they made the move to rid themselves of Brat they need to go all the way, not simply promote from within. Complete change in this case is best for everyone.
[/quote]

then maybe you just don't get it. :shrug:

Doesn't matter what your HC's background is in. There has to be a clear philosophy throughout the organization. Marvin's been harping on it for the last month. It's clear he and Brat had different ideas for the type of offense they wanted to be.

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1296499610' post='966842']
then maybe you just don't get it. :shrug:

Doesn't matter what your HC's background is in. There has to be a clear philosophy throughout the organization. Marvin's been harping on it for the last month. It's clear he and Brat had different ideas for the type of offense they wanted to be.
[/quote]
Yes, or he wouldn't have wanted Childress to come in...

But, still, what tells you that Marvin would want Zampese to be the OC? Not saying he doesn't... maybe I missed something?

[quote name='Tigris' timestamp='1296499798' post='966847']
Yes, or he wouldn't have wanted Childress to come in...

But, still, what tells you that[b] Marvin would want Zampese to be the OC?[/b] Not saying he doesn't... maybe I missed something?
[/quote]

I don't. However, I'm confident that whoever they pick will be someone who is in line with Marvin's thinking, and if they're smart they get Carson's input as well.

[quote name='GoBengals' timestamp='1296498399' post='966808']
its kinda fucked up that i half hope we keep chad and dont upgrade the line at all so people can see any OC sucks ass when players suck ass...

but i guess ill take the player upgrade and some success too...people will be stupid even if proven otherwise... so not worth it..
[/quote]

we understand that you're loyal to the guy and that's admirable, but really....you should just quit with that stuff now. this is what the head coach wanted...this is what the smarter minds in the front office wanted....this is what most of the players including carson and benson wanted. there is a reason for all of that.

just let it go.

[quote name='Jamie_B' timestamp='1296499864' post='966848']
No. He said he heard today that brat would be here for 2011. So he got that wrong.
[/quote]

In a moment of fluid events, he had a nugget of bad info.. Everything else up till then was spot on.

[quote name='BengalSIS' timestamp='1296498483' post='966810']
AH....didn't know this. Hmm.. well, I guess that could be seen as a valid reason to wait.

But given the negative press after the Senior Bowl (results), almost seems like it would have been better not to be there. ;)
[/quote]

Not sure if you're referring to losing the Senior Bowl Game or the Carson fall-out.

If it's the loss for the Senior Bowl game, then don't forget that the practices are more important than the game for the scouts, GMs and coaches. The game is mostly for the media and fans. Marvin's crew (including Brat) has always run a very good set of practices to showcase the players and their abilities. From what I saw, they did a better job of that than the Bills staff did.

If it's the Carson fall-out, then I agree that they probably shouldn't have waited - although it's great that they got to coach the Senior Bowl again. I just hope they're still coaching during Senior Bowl week next year, but not for either of the North or South teams (Superbowl or bust damnit).

[quote name='bengaled' timestamp='1296499949' post='966853']
we understand that you're loyal to the guy and that's admirable, but really....you should just quit with that stuff now. this is what the head coach wanted...this is what the smarter minds in the front office wanted....this is what most of the players including carson and benson wanted. there is a reason for all of that.

just let it go.
[/quote]

It's what TJ alluded to was a problem as well.

[quote name='Lucid' timestamp='1296499949' post='966854']
In a moment of fluid events, he had a nugget of bad info.. Everything else up till then was spot on.
[/quote]

I wonder if whomever was feeding him his info changed things up to not get caught and in trouble.

[quote name='sois' timestamp='1296500173' post='966861']
Chow just got hired somewhere I think. He's never been available when needed :)

Thanks for your service Brat, there were some good seasons but you have to go.

Bring on Mike Leach!
[/quote]

correct. Chow just left UCLA to be the OC at Utah.

Archived