Mike Mayock's Top 32 Prospects

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-draft/09000d5d81eb95ea/Mayock-s-Top-16-prospects?module=HP_cp2
http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-draft/09000d5d81eb4aed/Mayock-s-top-prospects-24-17
http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-draft/09000d5d81eb4589/Mayock-s-Top-32-25

1. DT Marcell Darius
2. OLB Von Miller
3. CB Patrick Peterson
4. WR AJ Green
5. QB Blaine Gabbert
6. DE Robert Quinn
7. WR Julio Jones
8. DT Nick Fairley
9. CB Prince Amukamara
10. DE Da'Quan Bowers
11. OT Anthony Costanzo
12. DE JJ Watt
13. OT Tyrone Smith
14. DE Aldon Smith
15. DE Cameron Smith
16. RB Mark Ingram
17. DE Ryan Kerrigan
18. DT Muhammed Wilkerson
19. OT Gabe Carimi
20. QB Jake Locker
21. QB Cam Newton
22. DE Adrian Clayborn
23. DT Corey Liuget
24. OLB Akeem Ayers
25. OT Nate Solder
26. CB Aaron Williams
27. DE Cameron Heyward
28. C/G Mike Pouncey
29. DT Phil Taylor
30. CB Jimmy Smith
31. DT Stephen Paea
32. TE Kyle Rudolph

The drafts are all over the place but this is the second one I've seen in the last 24 hours in which Fairley has dropped to 8 or higher. If he's there at 4, how do you pass him up? The work ethic thing is what I'm hearing as the big knock.

I'm betting that Carolina goes QB and Denver goes D. Buffalo could do just about anything.

[quote name='IKOTA' timestamp='1300905289' post='979365']
Take Von Miller and don't look back.
[/quote]
Saw him go to Denver in a mock draft today. At this point, I have zero idea who is going to be there at #4. This might be one of the most exciting drafts yet.

[quote name='Harley' timestamp='1300905253' post='979364']
[b]The drafts are all over the place but this is the second one I've seen in the last 24 hours in which Fairley has dropped to 8 or higher.[/b] If he's there at 4, how do you pass him up? The work ethic thing is what I'm hearing as the big knock.

I'm betting that Carolina goes QB and Denver goes D. Buffalo could do just about anything.
[/quote]
Don't get confused Harley, this isn't a mock draft. It's just Mayock ranking the top 32 prospects. So Fairley dropping to no.8 isn't a reflection of how thinks the draft will go. He's just ranking Fairley as his 8th best player on his big board.

As for the draft...
After watching Mayocks' vids I'm thinking if the Bengals did go WR then Julio Jones would be the better fit, because Gruden doesn't like receivers who can't block - Jones can block, Green not so much allegedly
Also, there's no sure fire safe pick the Bengals. The only one, Patrick Peterson IMO, would be converted to safety and I don't know if you would invest no.4 money in that position.
Can Darius transfer from 3-4 to 4-3? In theory he can, but we've seen DT's drafted in the past who have busted due to the scheme change.
How bad is Fairley's motor?
Julio Jones - outsiders pick for no.4?

[quote name='Orange 'n Black' timestamp='1300904549' post='979362']
Rudolph has been on the rise. Good for the local guy; I still remember singing Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer at him from the Moeller student section while he was shooting free throws :ninja:
[/quote]

[quote]Joe Reedy - Notre Dame TE and Elder grad Kyle Rudolph will be making a studio appearance on NFL Network's Total Access show on Tuesday

Read more: http://www.kffl.com/team/12/nfl/cincinnati-bengals#ixzz1HT7MuW47[/quote]

[quote name='texbengal' timestamp='1300972730' post='979512']
Mayock's been saying that he feels like he trusts Dareus as a player, that he'll work and deliver consistently... Fairley, he doesn't as much.
[/quote]
[b]I say that where Mayock said there are questions about Fairley's work ethic and that he only performed well for 1 year. I'd saty away from him.. Safest picks are either AJ Green or Von Miller...[/b]

The drafts are all over the place but this is the second one I've seen in the last 24 hours in which Fairley has dropped to 8 or higher.[b] If he's there at 4, how do you pass him up?[/b] The work ethic thing is what I'm hearing as the big knock.

[/quote]

My question about Fariley is "is he going to play EVERY down for the Bengals"? He'll be in a rotation. Is he going to be the run or the pass DT? Does he have enough anchor to withstand bigger and stronger linemen in the NFL? That's my big problem. I really think Coach Zimmer is happy with the rotation he has already. with Atkins Peko, Sims and Tank. (if the can keep Fananae then chances are he is more than happy with those five)

The drafts are all over the place but this is the second one I've seen in the last 24 hours in which Fairley has dropped to 8 or higher.[/quote]
[b]He's a JUCO transfer, one year wonder who only weighs 290 lbs and has questionable character.[/b]

[quote name='cincity' timestamp='1301179655' post='980218']
My question about Fariley is "is he going to play EVERY down for the Bengals"? He'll be in a rotation. Is he going to be the run or the pass DT? Does he have enough anchor to withstand bigger and stronger linemen in the NFL? That's my big problem. I really think Coach Zimmer is happy with the rotation he has already. with Atkins Peko, Sims and Tank. (if the can keep Fananae then chances are he is more than happy with those five)
[/quote]

Fairley can play both the run and pass. His forte is penetration off the snap. He might be vulnerable to trap blocks in the run game but he can blow up pass protection schemes. If the Bengals took him, Fairley would be at RDT with Peko at LDT. Peko would come out in passing situations in favor of Atkins. Fairley would rotate with Simms and McDonald as his backups but could play both run and pass. The Bengals D-line would be much better with an active guy like Fairley added.

[quote name='cincity' timestamp='1301179655' post='980218']
[/quote]
how would a guy acquire 20 + tfl's in a season, in the SEC no less, and not be an incredible asset in the running game?

if you've been listening to zimmer, you'd realize he's NOT very happy with that rotation. to quote him, he said he was rather disappointed with them. so you tell me... how in the hell can he be happy with them, yet disappointed with them at the same time?

There isn't one player listed who couldn't be picked apart for something. That is why I despise Top 10 picks--they almost always are "never worth where they were selected". Just being a very good NFL player who contributes solidly to his team is never good enough.

We are going to get a very good football player at that spot. Whether he will ever "live up" to the pick is another story.

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1301180791' post='980223']
Who is, Cam Newton?

[img]http://mooreslore.corante.com/archives/images/jeopardy%20winner.jpg[/img]
[/quote]

I always find it humorous when people blatantly make shit up about players they don't want the Bengals to draft.

[quote name='IKOTA' timestamp='1301240247' post='980294']
I always find it humorous when people blatantly make shit up about players they don't want the Bengals to draft.
[/quote]

I didn't make it up. There's plenty of analysts and scouts out there saying the same thing.

But again, thanks for the obsession with my posts. :wave:

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1301240318' post='980295']
I didn't make it up. There's plenty of analysts and scouts out there saying the same thing.

But again, thanks for the obsession with my posts. :wave:
[/quote]

Dude, you should try it.....pick one person on here and become obsessed with their posts. I've never felt more alive!!!

Apparently, you only listen to the negative things the scouts say about Newton and disregard anything positive written about him. Did you read Gil Brandt's piece on him? I would imagine you did as the internet and you seem to be very good friends. And there's plenty of analysts and scouts saying negative and positive things about every player thats a potential top draft pick.

[quote name='IKOTA' timestamp='1301240607' post='980296']
Dude, you should try it.....pick one person on here and become obsessed with their posts. I've never felt more alive!!!

Apparently, you only listen to the negative things the scouts say about Newton and disregard anything positive written about him. Did you read Gil Brandt's piece on him? I would imagine you did as the internet and you seem to be very good friends. And there's plenty of analysts and scouts saying negative and positive things about every player thats a potential top draft pick.
[/quote]

I briefly read it yesterday as new jersey bengal posted it. There's much to like about Cam, there's also a lot to dislike.

He's a boom or bust player, as I said a day or two ago. You don't take those type of players in the top 10 of the draft (or first round in general).

Cam needs to go to a stable organization where he can sit for multiple years and have a strong supporting cast around him on the field, in the locker room, and in the front office. Let's face it, Cincinnati isn't that place.

Cris Collinsworth is only giving the guy a 40% chance to be a success in the NFL. Why aren't you blasting his opinion?

As for me, I'd much rather make a safer pick at #4 than Cam Newton.

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1301240917' post='980297']

[b]He's a boom or bust player[/b], as I said a day or two ago. You don't take those type of players in the top 10 of the draft (or first round in general).

[/quote]

those same scouts and analysts that you seem to be putting so much stock in are all pretty much saying the exact same thing about Nick Fairley but I don't see you knocking him.

[quote name='spicoli-2' timestamp='1301241275' post='980300']
those same scouts and anylists that you seem to be putting so much stock in are all pretty much saying the exact same thing about Nick Fairley but I don't see you knocking him.
[/quote]

there's certainly some concern with Fairley, but not nearly as much. There's also a HUGE difference in the positions they play and what's expected of both.

You don't need a DT to be as squeaky clean and role model as you do a franchise QB.

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1301240917' post='980297']
I briefly read it yesterday as new jersey bengal posted it. There's much to like about Cam, there's also a lot to dislike.

He's a boom or bust player, as I said a day or two ago. You don't take those type of players in the top 10 of the draft (or first round in general).

Cam needs to go to a stable organization where he can sit for multiple years and have a strong supporting cast around him on the field, in the locker room, and in the front office. Let's face it, Cincinnati isn't that place.

Cris Collinsworth is only giving the guy a 40% chance to be a success in the NFL. Why aren't you blasting his opinion?

As for me, I'd much rather make a safer pick at #4 than Cam Newton.
[/quote]

There is no such thing as a safe pick. Too many variables that are out of your control.

Archived