OT - Al Davis dies

Jason

[quote name='Rumble In the Jungle' timestamp='1318090866' post='1041653']
What's that movie with demmie moore and chevy chase where they get stuck in the middle of this crazy town? He looks like that guy that was the judge in that town.
[/quote]

Nothing but Trouble

[sharedmedia=gallery:images:568]

[quote name='High School Harry' timestamp='1318088626' post='1041646']

He's also the reason Max Montoya left the Bengals.

So I am reserving negative comment (moi?) out of respect for his passing.
And he did a great deal to make the NFL what it is today.
RIP Al Davis

(crass, tasteless comment under the circumstances but it will be interesting to see
what happens to the franchise now)
[/quote]

Sorry. Mike Brown is why Max left. Mike Brown could have prevented it from happening but didn't. He could have prevented JJ, TKO, Carl Pickens, C. Dillion, Cason Palmer and others ............

[quote name='Duke Nukem' timestamp='1318095664' post='1041674']
If it were Mike, what would the reaction across the NFL and in Cincinnati be?

RIP Al Davis... thanks for making the NFL what it is today
[/quote]

Start off with this
:20:

and turn into this -----
:headbang: :dance: :drinks: :D :gobengals: :bengalscheer: :rockon: :049: :badger: :dance2: :clapping: :good2:

[quote name='cwing' timestamp='1318099349' post='1041693']

Sorry. Mike Brown is why Max left. Mike Brown could have prevented it from happening but didn't. He could have prevented JJ, TKO, Carl Pickens, C. Dillion, Cason Palmer and others ............
[/quote]

Yeah, with that MIND CONTROL RAY he has..

[quote]

[b] [url="http://cincinnati.com/blogs/bengals/2011/10/08/bengals-remember-al-davis/"]Bengals remember Al Davis[/url][/b]

[b] 12:59 pm, Oct 8, 2011 | Written by [email="jreedy@enquirer.com"]jreedy[/email] | [url="http://cincinnati.com/blogs/bengals/2011/10/08/bengals-remember-al-davis/#comments"]0 Comments [/url] | [/b]

[size=4]
Mike Brown and former Raiders Thomas Howard and Bruce Gradkowski remember Al Davis.[/size]
[size=4]
Brown: “Al was a fiery individualist, an important part of pro football — the AFL and NFL –for almost 50 years. His teams had times of great success, and he was heavily involved both on and off the field. I admired the achievements the Raiders attained under Al.[/size]
[size=4]
“Personally, I was fond of him. He battled with the NFL, and a lot of us wished that had not been where things went, but under all that was a person I respected. It saddens me to hear that he is gone.”[/size]
[size=4]
Howard: “He was an icon, a legend, a pioneer. I’m honored that he chose to draft me. It was a great pleasure being a part of Raider Nation, part of all the great teams and players that put on that Silver and Black. You don’t know what it means to be a Raider until you are a Raider, and that was his team. He spoke to you not just as an owner but as a coach. He was very hands-on. You felt his presence, and he really cared for you and your family.”[/size]
[size=4]
[/size]
[size=4]
Gradkowski: “This is a sad day for Raider Nation and the NFL. But it’s a day to think about all Mr. Davis did for football. He was truly one of a kind. I respect him for the way he approached the game, for how much he loved it. I’m fortunate to have worked with Mr. Davis for a short period, and I thank him for giving me the opportunity. Playing in Oakland was a great experience for me, something I’ll always remember.”[/size]
[size=4]
[/size]
[size=4]
[url="http://cincinnati.com/blogs/bengals/2011/10/08/bengals-remember-al-davis/"]http://cincinnati.com/blogs/bengals/2011/10/08/bengals-remember-al-davis/[/url][/size]

[/quote]

He did a ton for football. Love or hate him, you did respect him. You get a good sense for what he did from some of those old AFL documentaries on NFL Network -especially that multi-part one about the AFL and NFL, pre- and post-merger.

He and NFL commissioners didn't get along (especiall Rozelle), so it was fun to watch when they presented the SB trophy to him. Back in the day, the Raiders were feared... they had that swagger. Fun to watch.

RIP, Al.

Wow some people are happy because he was being a bad owner etc. Karma's gonna find it ways around though so your time will come too. Alot of people want MB to die too, sad sad people these days

[quote name='Bunghole' timestamp='1318092662' post='1041663']
Just die, baby!
[/quote]
When you lose a loved one imma say the same thing to u

[quote name='Elijah15' timestamp='1318108400' post='1041720']
Wow some people are happy because he was being a bad owner etc. Karma's gonna find it ways around though so your time will come too. Alot of people want MB to die too, sad sad people these days

[/quote]

Yeah, it's kind of fucked up.. As much disappointment in my life is a result of Mike Brown I still can't find it in me to wish the man harm.. Football just isn't that important. It's a game played for enjoyment, people need to remember that.

[quote name='Lucid' timestamp='1318109762' post='1041726']

Yeah, it's kind of fucked up.. As much disappointment in my life is a result of Mike Brown I still can't find it in me to wish the man harm.. Football just isn't that important. It's a game played for enjoyment, people need to remember that.
[/quote]

Was Al the last "big buy" owner left? It seems to me even Schneider learned his lesson on Haynesworth, ...it's likely he won't skyrocket contract prices anymore.

he was also huge with race relations within the NFL he hired minority coaches before it was mandatory to interview them and way back I think he canceled a game because of segregation in Alabama when the black players wouldn't be allowed to stay at the same hotel. And even if was crazy everyone said he was super loyal and he did what he felt was right and not what anyone told him to do

[quote name='AmishBengalFan' timestamp='1318112274' post='1041733']Only 12 weeks left.....
[img]http://img69.imageshack.us/img69/327/2011bingo.jpg[/img][/quote]

If you're going to play death bingo, you need to put your name in a box. Just sayin'.

[quote name='Elijah15' timestamp='1318108400' post='1041720']

[/quote]
Dude, I was fucking kidding. Its a parody of his "Just win, baby" saying he was famous for. Instead of rehashing all the empty platitudes of feeling a sadness I do not feel for someone I do not know or parroting what has already been said about Al Davis' huge contributions to the game of NFL football, I made a joke instead. I hope people joke about me when I am dead...it would make me smile wherever I am after that happens.

Plus, its not like this came as some huge surprise. Most people know that he has been dead for years, his mechanical parts just finally wore out.

I just read the article on Bengals web site. Mentions battles and fought with in terms of Bengals organization. Although I wasn't around for the battle, to remember, I pulled up a few ancient articles before the merger of the AFL and NFL. Apparently Al Davis was against the merger (he was in charge of the AFL) and Paul Brown was for it for reasons he explains in his book. Would have liked to see that matchup. I would have even ordered it on pay per view.

In referencing to firing God, I believe it was in relation to his attempt to merge heaven and hell. Paul Brown refused to negotiate and cast him out to spend time with Art Modell...

Archived