Benson: No talks with Bengals so far

[quote name='Le Tigre' timestamp='1329927600' post='1098205']
I get the drift, Fred. For every Irons, there's a Dillon. I get it.

But...as I continue to repeat...I still painfully remember the years when there was no answer at RB--other than non-answers like Fenner/Bienemy/Broussard. Guys who couldn't sniff 1000 yards if they were standing on top of it.

There is obviously a better back than Ced out there for us. I guess I'm just saying: don't be too quick to ditch an annual 1000-yard back for a wing and a prayer.
[/quote]
He averaged 3.9 this year and 3.5 last year. That shit is not impressive. I have faith that TONS of FAs or rookies can come in and do better than that nexst year. Ced is done. He's been done. I just don't know how much faith I have in our RB drafting ability.

[quote name='gatorclaws' timestamp='1329927896' post='1098208'] Being a 1000 yard back doesn't mean anything anymore. In Benson's case all it means is he got a lot of carries.[/quote]
This is true, if a back played in all 16 he would only need to get 62.5 yards a game to get 1,000. Getting just over 60 yrds a game isn't elite.

[quote name='Le Tigre' timestamp='1329928140' post='1098209']It may not mean what it used to mean...but it does indicate a more sizeable degree of production than the "dime-a-dozen" RB I keep hearing about.[/quote]

Just for comparison:

15 running backs rushed for at least 1000 yards last season. Several more were just shy, but missed games.
23 running backs with at least 150 rushing attempts averaged more yards per carry than Benson.
No running back fumbled more last year than Cedric.

[quote name='Le Tigre' timestamp='1329927600' post='1098205']
I get the drift, Fred. For every Irons, there's a Dillon. I get it.

But...as I continue to repeat...I still painfully remember the years when there was no answer at RB--other than non-answers like Fenner/Bienemy/Broussard. Guys who couldn't sniff 1000 yards if they were standing on top of it.

There is obviously a better back than Ced out there for us. I guess I'm just saying: don't be too quick to ditch an annual 1000-yard back for a wing and a prayer.
[/quote]
Watch what you say about Eric Bienemy! He'll kick your ass!

:lol:

[quote name='Bunghole' timestamp='1329937884' post='1098236']
Watch what you say about Eric Bienemy! He'll kick your ass!

:lol:
[/quote]

And he could too! I met him a few times back then...dude, for his stature, was as strong as an ox. And a helluva nice guy! He was a good all-purpose back...just not a guy who was going to shoulder the entire running game...although the Bengals sure tried.

[quote name='mongo' timestamp='1329933891' post='1098227']
Just for comparison:

15 running backs rushed for at least 1000 yards last season. Several more were just shy, but missed games.
23 running backs with at least 150 rushing attempts averaged more yards per carry than Benson.
No running back fumbled more last year than Cedric.
[/quote]

Wonderful. So who is going to be that guy now? Dime-a-dozen/take your pick? At least with Ced, you had the established threat.

I'm not saying he can't be replaced...I'm just saying nobody knows who can or will.

[quote name='Le Tigre' timestamp='1329944921' post='1098262']

Wonderful. So who is going to be that guy now? Dime-a-dozen/take your pick? At least with Ced, you had the established threat.

I'm not saying he can't be replaced...I'm just saying nobody knows who can or will.
[/quote]

Sure, there's definitely a chance his replacement is worse but you don't win superbowls by accepting mediocre play. IMO the chance of getting a better RB is far greater than the chance of getting worse.

[quote name='Le Tigre' timestamp='1329919116' post='1098132']
It will be uncomfortable for all parties...but Ced will be allowed to test the market, and the Bengals will look around for another back.

Both will be tepid searches/responses...without much fruit...so expect to greet Ced back sometime in the next few months, probably another 1-year.
[/quote]

Screw that, he's gone and good riddance.

[quote name='Le Tigre' timestamp='1329944921' post='1098262']

Wonderful. So who is going to be that guy now? Dime-a-dozen/take your pick? [b]At least with Ced, you had the established threat.[/b]

[/quote]

Are you Eugene Parker? I think you, Parker, Benson, and his alternative lifestyle leading "roommate" are the only people who consider Benson an established threat. Benson is average at best and a bit of a headcase. He doesn't seem like a team guy, he's not very productive, and he thinks he's the second coming of Walter Payton and wants to get paid like it....

Let's see what our good friend and noted NFL guru Sarah Palin has to say about Ced Benson

[img]http://1.images.theweek.com/img/dir_0067/33518_article_full/sarah-palin-says-thanks-but-no-thanks-to-a-white-house-run-leading-some-to-speculate-that-the.jpg[/img]
"Resigning Ced Benson...Thanks, but no thanks!"

[quote name='JC' timestamp='1329933419' post='1098222']
Thank God. Don't let your ass hit you on the way out. He had a handful of good games here, but other than that has been a complete bitch about everything. He cried when we brought in Larry Johnson to keep him fresh, he cried when T.O. was doing his thing, and he cried this year even though we were winning.

I just cannot fathom how he can bitch, even though in this day in age it's RBBC on almost every team. He was the MAN here.

We may not have had a great blocking line, but [b]he had almost no vision besides for where the hole was[/b] supposed to be. He couldn't take it outside. He couldn't break tackles even though he is a load for a running back, he couldn't catch, and seemed to fumble at the most inopportune times.

If he would have played every game with the passion he played with against Chicago or the Jets in that playoff game, his contract would be worth killer money this year. Seems to me that he didn't want to work hard enough because he knew the job was his.
[/quote]

I rewatched the Tenn game last night...jeez o pete..he was abysmal at finding a hole that wasn't right where he was running...a simple cut and he goes another 10 yds untouched...and his tripping over blades of grass at least once a game was getting embarrassing.

[quote name='Le Tigre' timestamp='1330012029' post='1098436']
Thanks, expert. Look at the key word: [b]had[/b]. You can offer all the subjective, non-acredited, psuedo-expert opinions you want...but the fact of the matter [b]was[/b]Ced [b]was[/b] an established threat...and people with more credentials than you confirmed it long ago.

I have never said he can't be replaced...but until you know who he can be replaced with, you take the risk of a lesser talent, with less production. And neither you or Sarah know any more than I do at this point. All you can do is guess.

The only thing I have been saying is: be careful what you wish for, and don't be shocked if the running game [b]really [/b]goes to shit--even with those "dime-a-dozen" guys who can all do better.
[/quote]

Dude the running game was shitty with Ced getting the bulk of the carries, you realize he didn't even crack the top 40 backs when comes to YPC and he lead the league in fumbles lost. The only other rb to get atleast 200 attempts and not get atleast 4 ypc is Michael Bush(who I don't want to sign) If you can't get 4 ypc, fumble more than any other rb in the league, and can barely crack 1,000 yards with over 270 attempts then the running game is shitty/average at best. Also he wants a big payday and complains that he should get the ball more(so he can run into the back of the oline some more I guess).

It's proven you can get a guy off the street, and if he can stay healthy, have success as a starter in the NFL. I would rather give Leonard and Scott the bulk of the carries than bring back Benson. 30 yr old rb's with selfish attitudes, a habit of getting arrested in the offseason, and average at best production don't excite me. RB is a young man's position, we can easily find a more than suitable replacement in either the draft or FA.

[quote name='The PatternMaster' timestamp='1330014873' post='1098444']

Dude the running game was shitty with Ced getting the bulk of the carries, you realize he didn't even crack the top 40 backs when comes to YPC and he lead the league in fumbles lost. The only other rb to get atleast 200 attempts and not get atleast 4 ypc is Michael Bush(who I don't want to sign) If you can't get 4 ypc, fumble more than any other rb in the league, and can barely crack 1,000 yards with over 270 attempts then the running game is shitty/average at best. Also he wants a big payday and complains that he should get the ball more(so he can run into the back of the oline some more I guess).

It's proven you can get a guy off the street, and if he can stay healthy, have success as a starter in the NFL. I would rather give Leonard and Scott the bulk of the carries than bring back Benson. 30 yr old rb's with selfish attitudes, a habit of getting arrested in the offseason, and average at best production don't excite me. RB is a young man's position, we can easily find a more than suitable replacement in either the draft or FA.
[/quote]

You continue to preach to the choir...drop it already.

You can state all the "rathers" you want...the simple fact is, you don't know how they will perform.

[quote name='Le Tigre' timestamp='1330016018' post='1098448']

You continue to preach to the choir...drop it already.

You can state all the "rathers" you want...the simple fact is, you don't know how they will perform.
[/quote]

We'll just have to agree to disagree, you think Ced has value and want to keep him around. I think we could do better in the draft or FA. It really doesn't matter what either one of us think, Mike Brown is calling the shots so I guess we will have to let him decide.

99% that Benson won't be back - someone will grab him for cheap if he doesn't get suspended first.

I knew he would be unhappy with the Gruden O. Even though Gruden talked of a power run game when he sat down with Benson in the offseason, the WCO just isn't that. This clash and dissatifaction was to be expected.

Time to move on - draft a back rds. 2 - 4. Brian Leonard is actually a decent fit and should be more involved.

[quote name='Harley' timestamp='1330023208' post='1098480']
99% that Benson won't be back - someone will grab him for cheap if he doesn't get suspended first.

[b]I knew he would be unhappy with the Gruden O. Even though Gruden talked of a power run game when he sat down with Benson in the offseason, the WCO just isn't that. This clash and dissatifaction was to be expected.[/b]

Time to move on - draft a back rds. 2 - 4. Brian Leonard is actually a decent fit and should be more involved.
[/quote]

While I agree with you on Benson probably not coming back, I don't agree with the bolded part.

1. Benson got the ball a ton in this offense.
2. Benson even had Pressley in at fullback in 15 of those games.
3. Roger Craig would disagree with the notion the WCO can't have a power running game. That dude had way more power than Cedric's ever shown.

Many WCO's don't have a power game, but some do... And Gruden gave him what he could to help Cedric succeed. He just couldn't do it.

Last time I checked we were running a West Coast Offense. We need a good back who can catch passes out of the backfield. In 1988 Roger Craig of the 69ers had 76 catches for 534 yards to go with his 1502 yards rushing.

Benson had 15 catches for 82 yards.

We need a West Coast RB and Benson is not it.

[quote name='Rumble In the Jungle' timestamp='1330035557' post='1098531']
Benson will got a job to be a backup or share carries some where else then he'll look back and realize what he had here.
[/quote]

I think his attitude may hurt him. You're probably right, but I could see teams not bringing him in until they have to so that they don't have to listen to him complain about getting enough carries.

Archived