Trade Rumour: Bengals 21st + Maualuga to Seattle for 13th pick

[quote name='SocalBengalEd' timestamp='1335305012' post='1121174']
Rey played horrible in the second game that's why they pulled him in the first series, he was healthy then. Didn't he get hurt in the 4th game of the year.
[/quote]
I think the Seattle game was the first one he missed outright (after the bye week).

Well, if there is some truth to this and Maualuga + #21 gets us up to #12, maybe it's not to take Keuchly at all. There aren't a lot of teams between 12 and 17 that would be looking for a mlb, so you could move up to secure another player and then take Keuchly at #17. Just a thought

[quote name='Enon Bengal' timestamp='1335316463' post='1121228']
If we don't draft either DDC or Glenn, I'l cry myself to sleep Thursday night.
[/quote]

get ready to cry then...a first round guard just doesn't have good value. They can very easily get a guard in round 2 or 3 and be set.

[quote name='unleashed' timestamp='1335302795' post='1121153']
I don't understand why people are so willing to sacrifice a player for an unproven draft pick.

Does Aaron curry ring a bell? "safest pick in the draft" is all I remember hearing about curry and he's already on his 2nd nfl team because the Seahawks realized that he didn't pan out.

Rey may miss some tackles and get caught up in over pursuit but I'm still not willing to give up on him.

His off the field incident did nothing to help his case but he does seem like a guy who gives a damn about his team and his city.

This may all change by next season but the bottom line is that there are way bigger needs than replacing our current MLB who missed time last year and was still 2nd in tackles while playing with an injury that his coach admitted to. So if everyone is dying to get rid of Rey for a guy who had a lot of tackles in his NCAA career, keep in mind that they also didn't retain their LB coach. Either Fitz was wrong in his judgement that Rey was worth a 2nd round pick or the more likely situation was he wasn't getting enough out of his group.

Time will tell what Rey does this season but I just can't see us getting into a high risk situation when the need isn't there. If he can't capitalize on a full offseason at MLB this year, then maybe we will be having a MLB conversation next April's draft.
[/quote]
Well, maybe the coaching staff, who study film, have tired of Rey over persuing and missing tackles. Drafting an unproven but coveted MLB in the draft is not too far out of whack if you think the player you currently have has little upside and isn't anything special.

There was a very good reason Rey dropped out of the first round on draft day and we have witnessed them. Also, Seatle may have a woody for a different player they really have a need for that doesn't rank a 12 pick. Its not a bad deal for them since they are getting an OK MLB plus the player they want.

Its not a bad deal for us since Rey has off the field issues with alcohol and is very average. I am sure Marvin covets a real stud at LB as evidenced with his drafting Odell who had a great season as a rookie, his only season. Zim probably wants someone that can pressure the QB more up the middle and Rey has never shown a real ability to do that.

[quote name='SF2' timestamp='1335357688' post='1121361']
Well, maybe the coaching staff, who study film, have tired of Rey over persuing and missing tackles. Drafting an unproven but coveted MLB in the draft is not too far out of whack if you think the player you currently have has little upside and isn't anything special.

There was a very good reason Rey dropped out of the first round on draft day and we have witnessed them. Also, Seatle may have a woody for a different player they really have a need for that doesn't rank a 12 pick. Its not a bad deal for them since they are getting an OK MLB plus the player they want.

Its not a bad deal for us since Rey has off the field issues with alcohol and is very average. I am sure Marvin covets a real stud at LB as evidenced with his drafting Odell who had a great season as a rookie, his only season. Zim probably wants someone that can pressure the QB more up the middle and Rey has never shown a real ability to do that.
[/quote]

It's a horrible trade. Biased views of Rey aside.

You know your defense can defend the run with him as a LB. They've been a top 10 run defense 2 out of his 3 years as a starting LB. Top ten in his only season as MLB.

This is not to say you can't or shouldn't improve LB spot. I think the unit needs more big plays. However, all you are doing is spinning your wheels in hopes of generating these big plays with another MLB.

To make a move like this. The new MLB better be a hell raiser like Odell Thurman without the negative plays he caused. Is this proposed MLB the next Patrick Willis?

[quote name='scharm' timestamp='1335360059' post='1121387']

You know your defense can defend the run with him as a LB. They've been a top 10 run defense 2 out of his 3 years as a starting LB. Top ten in his only season as MLB.

This is not to say you can't or shouldn't improve LB spot. I think the unit needs more big plays. However, all you are doing is spinning your wheels in hopes of generating these big plays with another MLB.

To make a move like this. The new MLB better be a hell raiser like Odell Thurman without the negative plays he caused. Is this proposed MLB the next Patrick Willis?
[/quote]
I can't answer your question about the proposed MLB. Rookies are what they are. I can say that Rey is average at best as a MLB playing a key position on defense. The draft is always about spinning your wheels trying to improve you team by upgrading positions, nothing new here.

I still think it is a smoke screen at best but upgrading the MLB position has to be on Zimmer's wish list. Don't forget the off the field problems as well. They certainly DO have a bearing in this.

[quote name='Hooky' timestamp='1335361312' post='1121401']
Trade Rey and 17 or 21 to Minnesota for Trent Richardson.
[/quote]
Better yet, package the 3 5th round picks and trade them to Minnesota for the 3rd pick. That adds up right?

When was the last time, if ever, that the Bengals had a serious draft day trade? But MB never used to be big on trading or trading for draft picks and that has changed in the last year or so. So you never know, MB (Or whomever is pulling the strings now) making a day 1 or day 2 trade is not impossible.

[quote name='SF2' timestamp='1335362094' post='1121408']
I can't answer your question about the proposed MLB. Rookies are what they are. I can say that Rey is average at best as a MLB playing a key position on defense. The draft is always about spinning your wheels trying to improve you team by upgrading positions, nothing new here.

I still think it is a smoke screen at best but upgrading the MLB position has to be on Zimmer's wish list. Don't forget the off the field problems as well. They certainly DO have a bearing in this.
[/quote]

Then it's a horrible idea. If you can't say with out a doubt the New players isn't a tremendous upgrade to your decent starter or what you call "average at best" then it's horrible.

To do something like this you need Odell Thurman or Willis type impact because the LB core is average or solid. They lack big plays. If your not getting that with this trade then what are you doing?

[quote name='akiliMVP' timestamp='1335362494' post='1121411']
Better yet, package the 3 5th round picks and trade them to Minnesota for the 3rd pick. That adds up right?
[/quote]

Sure. I wonder if MB is working on a shrewd trade to get his future RB and make the Browns cry at the same time.

[quote name='SF2' timestamp='1335362094' post='1121408']

I still think it is a smoke screen at best but upgrading the MLB position has to be on Zimmer's wish list. Don't forget the off the field problems as well. They certainly DO have a bearing in this.[/quote]

I understand your point about looking to upgrade positions in the draft and many feel MLB is a position that should be addressed. Rey's off the field stuff is certainly a concern but we have to keep in mind that Rey was in his first year as the "QB" of the defense (MLB) and was hurt in the 4th (?) game. There is a very real possibility that we see improvement from him based on simply having more experience at the position and a full slate of OTA's to get more comfortable with his role.

In addition, I don't see a playmaker when I watch video of Kuechly, the undisputed #1 MLB prospect. Like others have said it makes no sense give up a premium selection and our starting MLB for a slightly higher pick so we can draft a player that is solid but unspectacular at the same position.

[quote name='scharm' timestamp='1335360059' post='1121387']

[b]You know your defense can defend the run with him as a LB.[/b] They've been a top 10 run defense 2 out of his 3 years as a starting LB. Top ten in his only season as MLB.

[/quote]
I disagree with this statement. He can defend the run when he's in the right gap. I'd argue that Skuta is better against the run than Rey. The guy has been responsible for some big opponent plays this year. He just doesn't have enough instincts and discipline.

[quote name='Hooky' timestamp='1335361312' post='1121401']
Trade Rey and 17 or 21 to Minnesota for Trent Richardson.
[/quote]

Richardson is not a fit in Gruden's scheme, regardless of what he told Benson about wanting a punishing run attack.

[quote name='EnglishBengal' timestamp='1335373045' post='1121496']
I disagree with this statement. He can defend the run when he's in the right gap. Defending the run quality wise has been more down to guys on the D-line like Peko, SIms, and Atkins. When a backup like Skuta comes in and there's no drop off against the run, you know that having your best MLB starting isn't going to gain you anything in that department. The guy has been responsible for some big opponent plays in the run game this year.
[/quote]

Doesn't matter what group you give the credit to. As a unit they defend the run and Rey has been apart of that. Does making this trade and ending up with a new MLB produce elite level run defense stats?

The reality is it's going to be a unit to get the extra half yard off the average per carry and it's going to be the unit that's going to have to shave 10 yards off the per game average.

Middle Line Backer's job 1 is to plug the hole then cut down RBs to reduce gains. Rey does that well enough. This new LB probably could fill the shoes and maybe do it better but it's not going to lift the defense enough to cover the missed opportunity to fill another need on the team.

To make this trade worth it. This new MLB would need to be more apt to forcing Turnovers and negative plays. Does this kid do it?

I would rather do what someone suggested above and make the trade and land Trent Richardson if possible or a higher quality pass rusher, cover corner, or WR.

It's not about Rey it's a positional thing and MLB isn't a huge hole the job gets done to allow the unit to be in the top 10. Swapping out solid but unspectacular MLBs even if the new might be more solid seems like spinning your wheels.

Archived