3 reasons Bengals QB Andy Dalton should be better in 2012

[size=6][b] 3 reasons Bengals QB Andy Dalton should be better in 2012[/b][/size]

By Paul Dehner Jr. | CBSSports.com September 5, 2012 6:12 pm ET

Topping the impact [url="http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/players/playerpage/1125961/andy-dalton"]Andy Dalton[/url] made during his rookie year will be difficult. In a year the Bengals expected to drown in the wake of [url="http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/players/playerpage/396173/carson-palmer"]Carson Palmer[/url]'s exodus, the second-round pick led [url="http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/teams/page/CIN/cincinnati-bengals"]Cincinnati[/url]to the playoffs.

He threw 20 touchdowns to 13 interceptions and engineered four fourth-quarter comebacks. He set a Bengals rookie record with 3,398 yards -- one of only five rookies in NFL history to top three grand.

Expectations are higher now, though. A year of the same won't elicit the same happy, smiley reactions. Obviously, Dalton believes he will be better in 2012. And maybe he will.
Here are three reasons why Dalton should be better in 2012:

[b]1. Reliability.[/b] Last year's receiving corps was big on highlights but low on consistency. [url="http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/22475988/34040782"]For every flying flip into the end zone[/url], there were three routes run to the wrong depth. Those often created turnovers. In two games against [url="http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/teams/page/BAL/baltimore-ravens"]Baltimore[/url] last year, Dalton threw three interceptions with one touchdown. Marvin Lewis said none of those three were Dalton's fault, rather errors made elsewhere. That's why, as Lewis stated on Wednesday in regards to former receivers Jerome Simpson and Andre Caldwell, “we chose not to re-sign those guys; they didn't leave."

The strengths of the new crop of receivers are intelligence and lack of mental miscues. Both Dalton and offensive coordinator Jay Gruden rave about the consistency from the receiver position. It just didn't exist last season. With a quarterback whose greatest asset is anticipation and understanding of where the open man must be, pairing with receivers who will more consistently be there should increase his 58.1 completion percentage.

"Last year guys were learning on the fly and things like that, where now guys know what we're doing," Dalton said. "Guys can flip around, be inside, outside, all over the place. I think that's where this receiving group has improved."

[b]2. Aggression.[/b] Dalton finished 23rd in the NFL last year in yards per attempt among quarterbacks who took at least 500 snaps. His 6.6 YPA fell 2.6 yards shy of league leader Aaron Rodgers (9.2). In fact, the top seven quarterbacks in the category all finished averaging greater than eight yards per throw. The Bengals West Coast system forces many quick throws, and the underneath routes became a centerpiece of the offense last year. But with deep threat [url="http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/players/playerpage/1673207/aj-green"]A.J. Green[/url] and athletic tight end [url="http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/players/playerpage/1123667/jermaine-gresham"]Jermaine Gresham[/url] able to make plays down the field, a better knowledge of when to take chances will allow Dalton to challenge smaller windows down the field.

The philosophy holds true across the league. Take a look at the top six quarterbacks last year in yards/attempt and how they fared in their first full season starting compared to their second season as a starter.

[b]Quarterbacks: first full season/second full season[/b][list]
[*]Aaron Rodgers : 7.5/8.2
[/list][list]
[*]Tom Brady: 6.3/6.9
[/list][list]
[*]Drew Brees: 6.2/5.9
[/list][list]
[*]Matt Schaub: 7.8/8.0
[/list][list]
[*]Eli Manning: 5.3/6.8
[/list][list]
[*]Carson Palmer : 6.7/7.5
[/list]
The only player to experience a decrease was Brees. His development came one year later, though, when his average jumped from 5.9 to 7.9 during his third season in San Diego.
Dalton should complete more plays downfield and make the Bengals offense much more aggressive than it was in 2012.

[b]3. A.J. Green.[/b] The rookie receiver rose to Pro Bowl status in one season. [url="http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/19715949/bengals-sophomore-green-on-cusp-of-joining-nfls-elite-receivers"]He appears destined for elite status in Year 2[/url]. Green's increased knowledge and diligent approach to the game have been universally lauded by coaches and teammates. Green racked up 1,065 yards last year without an offseason to work with his new quarterback.

Lewis summed up the prevailing sentiment regarding Green when asked Wednesday if he was concerned about a sophomore slump from his top wideout.

"No," he said.
Next question.

Green plans on moving around from the slot to the outside and anywhere in between this year to create favorable matchups. The first year in a new offensive system for Dalton and Gruden didn't allow those details last year. And as long as Dalton puts the ball in the vicinity of the 6-4 acrobat, Green will come down with it. As his star rises, so will Dalton's.

[url="http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/nfl-rapidreports/20065879/3-reasons-bengals-qb-andy-dalton-should-be-better-in-2012"]http://www.cbssports...-better-in-2012[/url]

[quote name='BengalJohn' timestamp='1346887403' post='1154784']
3 other reasons

no simpson
no mcglynn
better run support
[/quote]

im not sure i agree on many of these..

simpson wasnt amazing, but he made some good talented catches, im not sure tate or a rookie is any huge upgrade, at least not this season off the bat, and im not sure on better run support, Benson is one talented dude, there is a reason teams are willing to put up with his bullshit and attitude.

i guess you could make the mcglynn argument, but its not like dalton was sacked all over the place, as the article even states, the offense is designed to feature quick short passes..

[quote name='GoBengals' timestamp='1346890334' post='1154787']
im not sure i agree on many of these..

simpson wasnt amazing, but he made some good talented catches, im not sure tate or a rookie is any huge upgrade, at least not this season off the bat, and im not sure on better run support, Benson is one talented dude, there is a reason teams are willing to put up with his bullshit and attitude.

i guess you could make the mcglynn argument, but its not like dalton was sacked all over the place, as the article even states, the offense is designed to feature quick short passes..
[/quote]

I guess you have to ask yourself of those "good talented catches" would've been normal receptions if Simpson had run the correct route?

The drops were also a problem, and I don't think the rookies or Tate could do any worse than Caldwell or Simpson. I think the big difference this year is going to be Gresham, I feel it's his time to shine and be a premier TE in this league.

[quote name='USN Bengal' timestamp='1346890692' post='1154789']
I guess you have to ask yourself of those "good talented catches" would've been normal receptions if Simpson had run the correct route?

The drops were also a problem, and I don't think the rookies or Tate could do any worse than Caldwell or Simpson. I think the big difference this year is going to be Gresham, I feel it's his time to shine and be a premier TE in this league.
[/quote]
The drops were a problem, but how do you know he was running incorrect routes?

Palmer didn't have a problem finding him at the end of the 2011 year..

[quote name='JC' timestamp='1346896948' post='1154796']

[/quote]

Palmer overthrew him on short routes that he ran long?

:ninja:

[quote name='JC' timestamp='1346896948' post='1154796']

[/quote]
I watched the games, studied some film, and made an educated guess based on the evidence presented... how about you? Let's face it, Simpson got some yardage and catches with Palmer in garbage time. If he was a good route runner and a smart WR, he would've made it on the field before he did and we wouldn't have let him go. Raw talent and no smarts to go with it... further evidenced by the weed fiasco he found himself in.

Simpson was a lousy route runner who didn't know the offense. He failed to learn Brat's offense for three years, and then only started in Gruden's offense because there was no one else. He couldn't get on the field until there was no one else to start, and Gruden talked last season about how crazy it made him Simpson wasn't where he should be when he should be here. Couple that with Marvin saying they chose not to resign Simpson, and that none of Dalton's 3 interceptions against the Ravens were Andy's fault.... I think it's fair to say, despite a couple great catches, Simpson wasn't very good (Hell, David Tyree had a couple bitchin' catches, and still spun right out of the league).

I think Tate, Binns, and the others should be easy upgrades. At the very least, they should be slight upgrades just for having more time in the offense than the one year default starter the team didn't want to bring back.

I think Dalton has better targets, a year of NFL experience under his belt, a year of physical maturity, a full NFL off season, an expanded playbook, and a second year coordinator who will also be better ready to open it up.

[quote name='CTBengalsFan' timestamp='1346895972' post='1154795']
I still think we should have re-signed Simpson.
[/quote]

Why exactly? Because he's athletic? He barely played at all his first 3 years and when he finally did play it was spoken about openly that he ran frequently poor routes. And the coaching staff has said MULTIPLE times that they are much happier with the current WR and they chose to let the other guys go. After all that what makes you think he should have been re signed? Not to mention you have to figure out how to get him ready for the season as well as get the guy who will replace him the first 3 games of the year and then work him back in again.

[quote name='coup000' timestamp='1346903769' post='1154809']
Why exactly? Because he's athletic? He barely played at all his first 3 years and when he finally did play it was spoken about openly that he ran frequently poor routes. And the coaching staff has said MULTIPLE times that they are much happier with the current WR and they chose to let the other guys go. After all that what makes you think he should have been re signed? Not to mention you have to figure out how to get him ready for the season as well as get the guy who will replace him the first 3 games of the year and then work him back in again.
[/quote]

Because he produced a good amount in his first year of actually playing, and I think he still has upside to go. He wasn't ready coming into the NFL, not even close. But he's there now. And we're getting nothing going forward for the years we put into him.

It's not like we're replacing him with experienced receivers. I hope Tate, Binns & Jones are more consistent route runners and catchers than Simpson was, but we certainly don't know that now.

He also signed for a cheap contract for someone who can get you 900 yards and ~5 TDs. (Look at what Pierre Garcon got by comparison)

[quote name='USN Bengal' timestamp='1346901129' post='1154804']
I watched the games, studied some film, and made an educated guess based on the evidence presented... how about you? Let's face it, Simpson got some yardage and catches with Palmer in garbage time. If he was a good route runner and a smart WR, he would've made it on the field before he did and we wouldn't have let him go. Raw talent and no smarts to go with it... further evidenced by the weed fiasco he found himself in.
[/quote]
LOL. I never said he did or didn't. I just think it's funny people just throw out "facts" that they "know" without having a clue in the world.

Was just curious to see if there was anything to back that up. Guess there wasn't..

[quote name='JC' timestamp='1346935197' post='1154842']

LOL. I never said he did or didn't. I just think it's funny people just throw out "facts" that they "know" without having a clue in the world.

Was just curious to see if there was anything to back that up. Guess there wasn't..
[/quote]

Aside from Gruden specifically calling that out as one of Simpson's deficiencies last year, and the team not bothering to resign him...

[/quote]

I"m a big Simpson supporter, but fwiw there's been multiple reports and quotes that both Gruden and Dalton were very frustrated with Simpson's inconsistent route running.

[/quote]
What else do you need to "back that up"? Like Mongo and 1181 said just above... Gruden AND Dalton calling his route running out, the team not signing him back, and then viewing the film available to anyone that wants to see it.
Gotta love it when the evidence is out in the open yet people choose not to see it.

Would a personal note from the Pope suffice?

LMAO

[quote name='mongo' timestamp='1346935850' post='1154846']
Aside from Gruden specifically calling that out as one of Simpson's deficiencies last year, and the team not bothering to resign him...
[/quote]
Certainly could be true. I feel like it had a lot more due to the trouble he got into. I was just curious if there was anything to back it up.

He had 50 catches and 725 yards. People act like the guy was awful. He was inconsistent, yes. Awful, he was not. I don't think one of those receivers will step in and fill those numbers. Nor will any match his numbers in Minnesota, even with him serving a suspension.

[quote name='Hooky' timestamp='1346933891' post='1154840']
2 reasons:

1. Full off-season
2. Gruden is no longer a rookie OC
[/quote]

X2. I think this is huge... For Dalton, AJ, Gresham, Tate, Hawkins, etc. And Gruden.

I expect to see more versatility in play calling, where guys line up, etc.

[quote name='USN Bengal' timestamp='1346936084' post='1154848']
What else do you need to "back that up"? Like Mongo and 1181 said just above... Gruden AND Dalton calling his route running out, the team not signing him back, and then viewing the film available to anyone that wants to see it.
Gotta love it when the evidence is out in the open yet people choose not to see it.

Would a personal note from the Pope suffice?

LMAO
[/quote]
Why didn't you just say that when I asked? Also, please don't tell me you watched the film and knew that he was running the wrong routes. Did the Bengals personally give you the playcalls too?

[quote name='JC' timestamp='1346936294' post='1154852']
Why didn't you just say that when I asked? Also, please don't tell me you watched the film and knew that he was running the wrong routes. Did the Bengals personally give you the playcalls too?
[/quote]

I thought I did in the original post...next time I will clarify about the OC and QB calling him out. Took it for granted that you knew that, my bad.

I'm neither pro or anti Simpson. He was a freak athlete and he was inconsistent last season.

- This is an area of unproven for the Bengals. Marvin is talking big about his WRs this season and I hope it pans out.

Benson, I thought and still do think he's got top 10 draftable talent. But he had the knack for untimely fumbles and there was just something not right with him.

With both these players you had off the field issues that were distractions.

Is Andy better off without those two? I can't say right now. The interior line issues the Bengals have will probably take alot of the blame and mask any offensive problems that might come from #2 and RB spots.

[quote name='JC' timestamp='1346936135' post='1154850']

Certainly could be true. I feel like it had a lot more due to the trouble he got into. I was just curious if there was anything to back it up.

He had 50 catches and 725 yards. People act like the guy was awful. He was inconsistent, yes. Awful, he was not. I don't think one of those receivers will step in and fill those numbers. Nor will any match his numbers in Minnesota, even with him serving a suspension.
[/quote]

Eh, you may not get 1 player labeled #2 WR that matches those numbers. But they certainly could be more productive in the passing game without Simpson.

Archived