[quote name='scharm' timestamp='1345168416' post='1147529']
Mays is actually in the process of proving people wrong, imo.

He's had notetable plays, why? Because he is around the football.
[/quote]

he needs more controll right now he is trying to make that hit and taking out our own players would rather have them in the game then the sidelines because mays screwed the pooch

[quote name='SocalBengalEd' timestamp='1345167468' post='1147492']
Mays might get cut , and people here will defend till the end.
[/quote]

Aren't you a USC hater? It's obvious. Drop the hate, those players that you hated because
they played there are now Bengals. Not Trojans.

[quote name='oldschooler' timestamp='1345170786' post='1147613']
Aren't you a USC hater? It's obvious. Drop the hate, those players that you hated because
they played there are now Bengals. Not Trojans.
[/quote]

No kidding.

I cheered on Chris Perry for fuck sake...

As others have said, Mays has got some utility, especially as a run defender and ST coverage guy. I've never been convinced that he's an answer as a starter and every down kinda guy.

OTOH, Miles played very well last night, showing range, ball awareness, and solid tackling. Thinking that Zim is going to do a lot more situational lineups back there, and guys like Mays, Newman, Nate, Allen, and Jones (and Dre as he develops) out there, depending on down, distance, and situation... while Hall and Nelson will be out there all the time.

Mays and Miles look light years ahead of Crocker last year.

Anyone not willing to give Mays credit is just being a crusty old fart holding on to some internet debate.

It might of happened, but I can not recall a recent play were any Bengal safety blew up a running play like Mays did last night. Blowing that fullback up and Atkins making the tackle for loss is shades of Troy P.

one encouraging thing about Mays is that, at least so far, I haven't seen any glaring coverage issues which is said to be his weakness. His issue right now IMO is timing his hits better.

He's been in the right places, he just needs to do a better job with his timing. He's been a hair late on a couple, and hit Burfict instead of the ball carrier. No one complained when he rocked Julio Jones.

[quote name='scharm' timestamp='1345203267' post='1147782']
Mays and Miles look light years ahead of Crocker last year.

Anyone not willing to give Mays credit is just being a crusty old fart holding on to some internet debate.

It might of happened, but I can not recall a recent play were any Bengal safety blew up a running play like Mays did last night. Blowing that fullback up and Atkins making the tackle for loss is shades of Troy P.
[/quote]

So, in 2 games he has made 1 play and hurt 2 teammates. That's not a very good ratio.

[quote][color=#000000][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=3][background=transparent]"I have to be more conscious of who I am hitting. Sometimes stuff moves at the last second. You want to be aggressive and set the tempo but at the same time I don’t want to do anything stupid. Sometimes I’m trying to run to the ball and trying to get there. Its just a defensive mindset and I’m going to work on it."[/background][/size][/font][/color]
[color=#000000][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=3][background=transparent]Said Mays of the play: "There was a bunch of guys coming at me an it was kind of like a bang, bang play and throw my body in there. I don’t think I hit the running back, I think I hit Vontaze. I should play a little bit smarter with that."[/background][/size][/font][/color][/quote]

[url="http://cincinnati.com/blogs/bengals/2012/08/17/fifth-quarter-bengals-24-falcons-19/"]http://cincinnati.com/blogs/bengals/2012/08/17/fifth-quarter-bengals-24-falcons-19/[/url]

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1345205808' post='1147792']
one encouraging thing about Mays is that, at least so far, I haven't seen any glaring coverage issues which is said to be his weakness. His issue right now IMO is timing his hits better.

He's been in the right places, he just needs to do a better job with his timing.
[/quote]

+1

This thread was created talking about his 'stiff hips' and his lack of coverage skills.
Now it has morphed into something else to criticize him over, since that hasn't been the case.

I love his aggressiveness. Dude is flying all over the football field and is always around the ball.
He keeps that up and he will be making a lot of plays for this team. And hurting opponents instead
of his teammates.

[quote name='oldschooler' timestamp='1345207712' post='1147808']
+1

This thread was created talking about his 'stiff hips' and his lack of coverage skills.
Now it has morphed into something else to criticize him over, since that hasn't been the case.

I love his aggressiveness. Dude is flying all over the football field and is always around the ball.
He keeps that up and he will be making a lot of plays for this team. And hurting opponents instead
of his teammates.
[/quote]

The dude has not been tested down field yet; not once if memory serves... probably because Zimmer has not put him in that position.. Did anyone notice if Mays actually played deep last night at all? Was he in on third and long or was he subbed? I know you're hung up on "proving" Mays has the agility to hang with the agile WRs down field, but this preseason hasn't proved an ounce about that one way or the other AT ALL. What it has shown us he is is big, aggressive, and can lay the wood. That's it. To suggest otherwise is conjecture.

[quote name='Tigris' timestamp='1345208035' post='1147811']
The dude has not been tested down field yet; not once if memory serves... probably because Zimmer has not put him in that position.. Did anyone notice if Mays actually played deep last night at all? Was he in on third and long or was he subbed? I know you're hung up on "proving" Mays has the agility to hang with the agile WRs down field, but this preseason hasn't proved an ounce about that one way or the other AT ALL. What it has shown us he is is big, aggressive, and can lay the wood. That's it. To suggest otherwise is conjecture.
[/quote]

If he sucked at coverage, they would be exposing him and throwing it over his head.
Or his guy would be wide open. That hasn't been the case, at all. He has been on the
field and playing back in coverage quite a bit. So no, what I said was not conjecture.
It was going off of what I have seen last night and the game before.Hell, the "stiff hips"
and "he can't cover" was conjecture, if anything. Dude shuts out TEs when he covers them.
He hasn't been beat on any throws. So yeah. But you want to chalk it up to "Well he hasn't
been tested." Hell, every moment he is on the field he is being tested.

[quote name='Tigris' timestamp='1345208035' post='1147811']
[/quote]

I don't think that was his issue to begin with. He has the closing speed to make up for those kinds of plays. The initial criticism was he had still hips and players got separation on him on the quick slants and out patterns which is more up a strong safety's alley. That and not reading the coverage on short passing plays to say the tight end. I think he has done ok in this regard, just needs to avoid hitting guys with the same colored uni he is wearing.

[quote name='oldschooler' timestamp='1345208448' post='1147821']
If he sucked at coverage, they would be exposing him and throwing it over his head.

[b]That's not true at all. Offensive coordinators, QBs, everyone misses opportunities.[/b]

Or his guy would be wide open. That hasn't been the case, at all. He has been on the
field and playing back in coverage quite a bit. So no, what I said was not conjecture.

[b]I still think it is. Unless you're there at practice, because in the games, again, it's not shown he has been good in coverage. I get to see the same angle as you and often you can't even see Mays. So, yeah... definitely conjecture.[/b]

It was going off of what I have seen last night and the game before.Hell, the "stiff hips"
and "he can't cover" was conjecture, if anything.

[b]What I have always said is that his stiff hips would not allow him to cover adequately in the NFL down field. You can tell how stiff a guy is (that's what she said) just by watching him backpedal in practice. What I have see so far is Zimmer using him how he should; within 20 yards of the line of scrimmage. To looks like he's coming on guys running drags, slants, he's in the box a little bit. I have not seen one play where he is down field in coverage. I have both games recorded, so if you can find a play, I'll gladly check it out.[/b]

Dude shuts out TEs when he covers them.
He hasn't been beat on any throws. So yeah. But you want to chalk it up to "Well he hasn't
been tested." Hell, every moment he is on the field he is being tested.

[b]He's not been tested. Tell me where he has been tested, down field, like a real safety is. He supposedly played well vs. Houston. Okay; great. Who's to say Houston didn't see something else in our defense and attack it. For as "good" as Mays supposedly played, TJ Yates sure lit up the middle of the field on us last year. If my TE tore it up in the first half, the defense is making an adjustment, right? That adjustment could cause a weakness to open up elsewhere. Houston attacked the weakness and beat us. Just because a guy doesn't make a catch doesn't mean the defender played a lights out game. I'm not saying here that Mays didn't do well, but to anoint him TE Shutdown King is too much right now.[/b]

[/quote]

[b]The difference between us is I'm definitely swayable in this debate. I want to see Mays work out and be Ed Reed; just like you. However, there's nothing that has shown me I was wrong with my stance when he was drafted. There's actually been more out there suggesting I was right than wrong. Since I've not seen any great coverage skills of Mays, I'm thinking you have not either. And by you saying you have seen it, it kind of makes me wonder if it's conjecture... [/b]

[quote name='SF2' timestamp='1345209142' post='1147826']
I don't think that was his issue to begin with. He has the closing speed to make up for those kinds of plays. The initial criticism was he had still hips and players got separation on him on the quick slants and out patterns which is more up a strong safety's alley. That and not reading the coverage on short passing plays to say the tight end. I think he has done ok in this regard, just needs to avoid hitting guys with the same colored uni he is wearing.
[/quote]

I didn't think of slants and outs being a huge issue, mainly because of proximity of his help on defense, but I always thought deeper routes like posts, post corners would be his Achilles heel.

To add to my post up there. I should have said "backpedal" but in his position drills where he backpedals, turns, plants and goes... things like that. When I was writing that, I was specifically thinking of the backpedaling drill where the coach will turn the ball one way or another, Mays will open up that way, and sprint down the line. He looked slow to me and his turn and go wasn't as fluid or as "on a dime" as some of the others. It didn't look as natural to me as the other guys.

[quote name='Tigris' timestamp='1345210119' post='1147835']
To add to my post up there. I should have said "backpedal" but in his position drills where he backpedals, turns, plants and goes... things like that. When I was writing that, I was specifically thinking of the backpedaling drill where the coach will turn the ball one way or another, Mays will open up that way, and sprint down the line. He looked slow to me and his turn and go wasn't as fluid or as "on a dime" as some of the others. It didn't look as natural to me as the other guys.
[/quote]

I wonder if Zimmer is having him play farther back than normal to compensate for his backpedal, which in turn is causing him to miss-time his tackles and also build up more speed for them as usual.

[quote name='Tigris' timestamp='1345209970' post='1147834']
I didn't think of slants and outs being a huge issue, mainly because of proximity of his help on defense, but I always thought deeper routes like posts, post corners would be his Achilles heel.
[/quote]

I disagree. This is the biggest copycat league in the world. More teams will be using the quick slants and TE passes while running the ball less ala New England. Our safeties will have to be able to cover their guy on these types of plays we will most certainly be seeing more of in my opinion. What was the crazy stat last night? 10 or more teams had over 4000 yards passing last year which includes yards lost via sack.

Teams are throwing 5 guys into the pattern on 1st and 10 with regularity. New England's TEs had over 2200 yards receiving last year. The team only rushed for 1700. Our safeties will need to cover their man since our LBs will be plenty busy trying to prevent the 4 yard pass to the TE.

The one thing we have going for us is Pittspuke, Baltiwhore and the Clowns haven't done this in the past but our run defense has been pretty good. Any good o coordinator would certainly throw more short yardage passing plays against us to try and open up the run game some.

Archived