That's a really interesting nickel look. It actually kinda sounds like a Madden defense. You're best corner covering the slot, 2 faster guys outside and another corner at safety. When you factor in Reggie Nelson's coverage ability at the other safety position, that's a lot of athleticism and experience on the field at one time.

As a package, it would only be deployed in obvious passing situations. I'm digging it.

[quote name='T-Dub' timestamp='1344497048' post='1144208']

You do realize that you sound way more worked up than anyone else in this thread? I don't think anything in here warranted running in with your hair on fire screaming for everyone to OMG CALM THE FUCKING SHIT CHRIST DOWN FOR THE LOVE OF FUCK@!!!!@#!#!

Y'know?
[/quote]

Right. A couple curses thrown in for dramatc effect =/= me being worked up. Because the first 5 people in this thread weren't complaining that this writer didn't jerk our player off in his article. I'm just saying. People here get too worked up over this shit. Who cares what a blogger says. Why do we expect everyone to say something positive. Goddamn

[quote name='JBandJoeyV' timestamp='1344521411' post='1144268']
I've been saying for a while that Clements should play a hybrid role. Some cb but also replacing mays at safety on obvious passing downs.
[/quote]

yea this isn't exactly new. Zimmer has been talking about replacing a safety with a corner since before Mays was even a Bengal.

I'd still love to see the Bengals go to a 3CB/1S base defense with physical corners who can cover, but also support the run. Have perfect guys in Hall, Clements and Kirkpatrick.

[quote name='B.A.B.' timestamp='1344521100' post='1144267']
Right. A couple curses thrown in for dramatc effect =/= me being worked up. Because the first 5 people in this thread weren't complaining that this writer didn't jerk our player off in his article. I'm just saying. People here get too worked up over this shit. Who cares what a blogger says. Why do we expect everyone to say something positive. Goddamn
[/quote]

Malking a second cursing post saying you weren't worked up in the first cursing post isn't the most convincing defense.

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1344521627' post='1144271']
yea this isn't exactly new. Zimmer has been talking about replacing a safety with a corner since before Mays was even a Bengal.

I'd still love to see the Bengals go to a 3CB/1S base defense with physical corners who can cover, but also support the run. Have perfect guys in Hall, Clements and Kirkpatrick.
[/quote]

Assuming we can get three corners healthy at a time, that is.

[quote name='Tigris' timestamp='1344518376' post='1144252']
I would like to see Mays has a utility guy on defense. A guy that doesn't really have one position but moves around depending on the offensive package and situation. If you need a rusher, send him. If it's 4 and 1 and they're going for it, have him jam the TE or something. I wonder why they haven't had him practice some OLB... even if it was just to see what he was capable of doing.
[/quote]

Could see that. He CAN cover TEs... I've seen him do it in games. He could be a hellacious blitzer. He's a very good tackler on STs.

What I don't know is if he can play the safety position, well, on a consistent basis. As others have said, he's got the opportunity to show that he can during TC and in the PS games. It'll be interesting to see how they rotate the safeties during the PS games.

[quote name='bengals8580' timestamp='1344529718' post='1144296']
He had Crocker back there and he was as bad a cover safety as there is in the NFL. Mays cant be any worse than Crocker.
[/quote]

You don't remember Ohalete? It can be worse.

I like our ability to mix and match DBs depending on the opponent. Against the Browns for example, I'd expect to see a lot of Mays close to the line of scrimmage to stop Richardson. They also have bigger, more straight line type WRs in Gordon and Little who he should match up better against. If a team like Philly however spreads it out with 3 WRs, he is going to struggle mightily against guys like DJax and Maclin and I think you need to have Clements or Allen in there.

And I think we'll also see a lot of rotation within games based upon down and distance. I do think it is likely that Mays will be a liability in pass defense against WRs (especially of the smaller, quicker varitey) and will be off the field if teams go 3 or 4 wide. He is going to struggle trying to stay close to quick WRs.

Against teams with bigger TEs however, he might be a decent guy to matchup with them 1-on-1 because his size is a huge help and most TEs don't have the quickness in and out of their breaks to exploit him on that.

[quote name='Jamie_B' timestamp='1344530496' post='1144297']
[/quote]

If you're looking for a positive, the Bengals have been weak at Safety through basically the entire tenure of Marvin Lewis. Even if Mays struggles in the starting role, it won't be much different than most other years. Nowhere to go but up.

[quote name='happyrid' timestamp='1344530819' post='1144300']
If you're looking for a positive, the Bengals have been weak at Safety through basically the entire tenure of Marvin Lewis. Even if Mays struggles in the starting role, it won't be much different than most other years. Nowhere to go but up.
[/quote]

I'll give you that we've not had 2 good S's but I liked Madieu before he got hurt and I like Reggie.

[quote name='Jamie_B' timestamp='1344530496' post='1144297']
[/quote]

Did he ever start? I know we've been weak back there for a while. Mays cant be any worse than whoever we've throw back there save Nelson and Williams (pre injury).

[quote name='bengals8580' timestamp='1344531527' post='1144302']
[color=#ff0000]Did he ever start?[/color] I know we've been weak back there for a while. Mays cant be any worse than whoever we've throw back there save Nelson and Williams (pre injury).
[/quote]

He was the starter opposite KK for 12 games in 05

[quote name='happyrid' timestamp='1344530702' post='1144298']
I like our ability to mix and match DBs depending on the opponent. Against the Browns for example, I'd expect to see a lot of Mays close to the line of scrimmage to stop Richardson. They also have bigger, more straight line type WRs in Gordon and Little who he should match up better against. If a team like Philly however spreads it out with 3 WRs, he is going to struggle mightily against guys like DJax and Maclin and I think you need to have Clements or Allen in there.

And I think we'll also see a lot of rotation within games based upon down and distance. I do think it is likely that Mays will be a liability in pass defense against WRs (especially of the smaller, quicker varitey) and will be off the field if teams go 3 or 4 wide. He is going to struggle trying to stay close to quick WRs.

Against teams with bigger TEs however, he might be a decent guy to matchup with them 1-on-1 because his size is a huge help and most TEs don't have the quickness in and out of their breaks to exploit him on that.
[/quote]

Agreed. I think one of the strengths of this team overall, will be it's ability to have different players move into positions based on the opposing teams packages.

[quote name='happyrid' timestamp='1344530702' post='1144298']

[/quote]

Good thoughts.

Also, hopefully the pass rush is so nasty, whoever is back there, their job is easy.

[quote name='Jamie_B' timestamp='1344532056' post='1144304']

He was the starter opposite KK for 12 games in 05
[/quote]

I don't remember either but I usually covered my eyes and said, "Oh shit" everytime the opposing QB threw the ball in 05.

[quote name='Lewdog' timestamp='1344491850' post='1144202']
I thought I just read in an article that Mays was the only guy in practice that could cover Gresham? That makes no sense.
[/quote]
Didn't you know, Gresham has stiff hips too, and is waaay overrated! :ph34r:

[quote name='SF2' timestamp='1344551291' post='1144351']

I don't remember either but I usually covered my eyes and said, "Oh shit" everytime the opposing QB threw the ball in 05.
[/quote]

Why? They had a ton of Ints that year. I think they had 3 games in which they got 5 picks.

[quote name='scharm' timestamp='1344555068' post='1144362']
Why? They had a ton of Ints that year. I think they had 3 games in which they got 5 picks.
[/quote]

Yeah, they were 3 games where the bengals had 5 INTs: Week 2 vs MIN w/ culpepper, Week 3 @ CHI w/ Kyle Orton, and the week with GB when Farve was still QB.....apparently, that year we had the NFC north, and it seemed that Detroit got 5 picks against us too...(I know that we got three against the Lions that year_)

That year our DB were completely awesome in the ball-hawking department; we came up with 31 INT off our opponents, Deltha O Neal led that team with 10 INTs

i only read the first few posts, so forgive me if this was brought up, but is it just me or does mays just looks big and slow? i cant think of another example, but he LOOKS a lot slower than he is, i remember seeing camp videos and seeing him look slow around the filed but he always seems to end up in the right place by the right time. are there any current camp videos of him around? i havent bothered looking, but the guy didnt put on 30 pounds or anything, so he didnt just get mega slow. I just recall him not looking quick, but surpising me during actual playing time. maybe im mistaking him with another situation, but i think i have it straight.

[quote name='GoBengals' timestamp='1344580643' post='1144435']
i only read the first few posts, so forgive me if this was brought up, but is it just me or does mays just looks big and slow? i cant think of another example, but he LOOKS a lot slower than he is, i remember seeing camp videos and seeing him look slow around the filed but he always seems to end up in the right place by the right time. are there any current camp videos of him around? i havent bothered looking, but the guy didnt put on 30 pounds or anything, so he didnt just get mega slow. I just recall him not looking quick, but surpising me during actual playing time. maybe im mistaking him with another situation, but i think i have it straight.
[/quote]

I haven't noticed, but haven't really been looking. Maybe he has a long stride? Dunno, I'm just thinking of someone like Terrelle Pryor who never looked like he was running fast, but he had such a long stride he was running away from people even though it didn't look like he was running that fast.

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1344602433' post='1144450']
I haven't noticed, but haven't really been looking. Maybe he has a long stride? Dunno, I'm just thinking of someone like Terrelle Pryor who never looked like he was running fast, but he had such a long stride he was running away from people even though it didn't look like he was running that fast.
[/quote]

I don't think he's a long strider. I've doesn't look like it to me.

Archived