EDIT: Assuming we don't sign a veteran in FA - Would you take a wide receiver at 21?

There seems to be a split on this board regarding if we should take at WR with our first pick of the draft. Some think we should address other needs regardless. So I just want to gage some opinion.  

49 members have voted

1. 1. Assuming we don't sign a veteran WR in free agency, would you take a WR with the first pick of the draft?

• I would take WR at 21 - Keenan Allen, DeAndre Hopkins - giving AJ at legit no.2 is too good the pass up.
    • Who cares about WR - let the promising rookies develop into starters - we have bigger needs to fill with the early picks.

Sounds like physically he is the best WR in the draft and one of the best physical WRs to come out in a while. 4.35 speed, 6'3, good hands, etc.

Sounds a little raw in his route running though. I'd be all for it, but wouldnt be surprised if it resulted in some turn overs every now and then due to poor route running. Doesnt mean he isnt dynamic enough to make up for it, but could be a rich mans Jerome Simpson.

[quote name='akiliMVP' timestamp='1359605337' post='1212163']
Patterson is a bigger Harvin and Cobb. I think he gone is by 21 .
[/quote]

One and maybe two of Patterson, Allen or Hopkins will be off the board at 21. I think you take the remaining one or pick your favorite of the two. A 1A/1B situation would do wonders for the offense. As long as they address RB later, for which this draft sets up perfectly.

[quote name='Bengal27' timestamp='1359610804' post='1212187']
Where do you think he will go? Is he worth trading up for?
[/quote]
Dolphins or Rams. Both desperately need a #1 receiver and Patterson has the highest upside of the top 3. I could even see the Steelers taking a WR since they are unlikely to re-sign Wallace.

No one in the first round is worth trading up for. I prefer Allen or Hopkins for us because they are much more accomplished route runners.

I think the combine will be critical in trying to separate the top 3 or 4 WRs. If Patterson really is a sub 4.4 guy, that would really boost his stock. I'm also curious to see what Allen runs. I think he is faster than most think as he just kind of glides with his long strides.

The one guy who could possibly put himself in the first round conversation if he runs well is Quinton Patton. The guy has everything else you look for. Great production. Great hands. Very good size. Pretty good after the catch. Polished as a route runner.

His highlight video from the Texas A&M game is a season's worth of highlights for some guys.

[quote name='JBandJoeyV' timestamp='1359603767' post='1212152']
Anyone know why he wasnt highly recruited out of HS? [b]Why was he a JUCO guy?[/b]

It appears he is very raw, which is why he might drop in the draft.
[/quote]

I don't know, but my guess would be academics.

Chad was a JUCO guy remember.

[quote name='T-Dub' timestamp='1359624821' post='1212196']
I thought they were crazy to take one 4th overall but that worked out pretty well.
[/quote]

I did too. Too many holes on offense at the time and we had two young receivers (like we do now) who showed glimpses of ability. Then we found our QB in the second and replaced our guards and RB this past season. Offense did a total 180 in 2 seasons. I'm figuring it's getting capped off this offseason and we go playmaker early.

Edit: I shouldn't have said 180, but overhaul. Because our offense still isn't very good.

I think Sanu and Jones got valuable game expeeience. Andy is getting more comfortable with them as well as trusting them more... Another off season will add to what they've learned... Drafting another WR will involve them getting used to the pro game. I think we were spoiled w/AJ coming I and setting the league on fire, that we think a 1st round WR is going to be better than what we have with the two second yr players...

I had a dream last night that the Browns traded down to #14, took Hopkins and I was pissed because after seeing him play in many games, I think he's going to be a damn good player in the NFL. Should be noted that the Bengals took Patterson, who I don't know much about and I thought of it as a consolation prize.

Yes I would take a WR at #21 I think the after AJ and Sanu there's not much top talent at WR and is Bengals weakest position. Anything to make defenses have to roll that safety off of AJ. We saw what he can do one on one in the Pro Bowl (even when considering it was the "Pro Bowl"). I think it would do wonders for this offense, which is the side of the ball holding this team back at the moment.

[quote name='Dautcom08' timestamp='1359639753' post='1212245']
I had a dream last night that the Browns traded down to #14, took Hopkins and I was pissed because after seeing him play in many games, I think he's going to be a damn good player in the NFL. Should be noted that the Bengals took Patterson, who I don't know much about and I thought of it as a consolation prize.

Yes I would take a WR at #21 I think the after AJ and Sanu there's not much top talent at WR and is Bengals weakest position. Anything to make defenses have to roll that safety off of AJ. We saw what he can do one on one in the Pro Bowl (even when considering it was the "Pro Bowl"). I think it would do wonders for this offense, which is the side of the ball holding this team back at the moment.
[/quote]

weakest position over LB or safety? IMO RB may even be higher than WR.

[quote name='SocalBengalEd' timestamp='1359604139' post='1212155']
He played juco for two years and only played at Tennessee for one I believe and his quarterback was garbage that's why he only had 46 grabs kinda like wr. Allen from Cal. But id rather have Patterson just love his explosiveness
[/quote]
I wouldn't say Bray is garbage. He completed nearly 60% of his passes this year with 34 touchdowns. Only 5 went to Patterson. I think Patterson can play some ball, but I'm not sure he is going to be doing it from day 1.

[quote name='Tigris' timestamp='1359636625' post='1212207']
I did too. Too many holes on offense at the time and we had two young receivers (like we do now) who showed glimpses of ability. Then we found our QB in the second and replaced our guards and RB this past season. Offense did a total 180 in 2 seasons. I'm figuring it's getting capped off this offseason and we go playmaker early.

Edit: I shouldn't have said 180, but overhaul. Because [b]our offense still isn't very good[/b].
[/quote]

I would argue that when it was at full strength and everyone was contributing it was pretty good. We put 31 on the Giants. We scored 27+ 6 times (not counting Philly when our D and Teams contributed a LOT to scoring).

[quote name='Jason' timestamp='1359643905' post='1212261']
I would argue that when it was at full strength and everyone was contributing it was pretty good. We put 31 on the Giants. We scored 27+ 6 times (not counting Philly when our D and Teams contributed a LOT to scoring).
[/quote]

Tend to agree with Tigris on this.

Our offense was horrible down the stretch due to injuries. But it wasn't that good before, given weaker defenses like the 'Skins they had to face earlier on, and a dream-state Giants team, real stats padders. And also, whenever the game plan is "get the ball to AJ Green" you know things are bad. AJ Green is a great player but he shouldn't be the only quality outlet in the passing game. Teams will double him and we therefore need another high quality reinforcement good enough to warrant double coverage in their own right and open up the field for Dalton.

The Bengals always go bpa in a position of need. #2 WR is not the biggest need but it is still a need. So if a WR is the bpa at 21 then they will pull the trigger.

Like the Whitworth pick in 2006 - None of us liked it because we felt bigger needs had to be addressed at that point in the draft. But look how he turned out!

[quote name='akiliMVP' timestamp='1359590501' post='1212106']
I really like Allen, Patterson and Hopkins. All are extremely talented and are #1 type guys. I love Sanu but he's a slot #3 receiver. [b]Jones is talented but would be much better suited as the #4.[/b] If Vaccaro is gone at 21 any of these guys are worthy of the pick. Give Dalton some more weapons!!!
[/quote]

Finally! I'm not a draftnik like some on here so all I have to judge Jones by is his NFL performance and I wasn't impressed at all, let alone impressed enough to believe he can grow into a #2 role (as soon as next year) as many have claimed since we drafted him. I think he's looked lost out there and I don't remember him attacking the ball on a single throw his way which has directly cost us interceptions. Where as Sanu looked like he fit in the NFL since his first snap.

By no means am I saying Jones is a waste and should be cut, but as it pertains to this poll, he doesn't factor into my decision at all because he could barely separate himself from Tate.

I'd definitely go WR if he's the BPA.

[quote name='EnglishBengal' timestamp='1359647810' post='1212270']
Tend to agree with Tigris on this.

Our offense was horrible down the stretch due to injuries. But it wasn't that good before, given weaker defenses like the 'Skins they had to face earlier on, and a dream-state Giants team, real stats padders. And also, whenever the game plan is "get the ball to AJ Green" you know things are bad. AJ Green is a great player but he shouldn't be the only quality outlet in the passing game. Teams will double him and we therefore need another high quality reinforcement good enough to warrant double coverage in their own right and open up the field for Dalton.

The Bengals always go bpa in a position of need. #2 WR is not the biggest need but it is still a need. So if a WR is the bpa at 21 then they will pull the trigger.

Like the Whitworth pick in 2006 - None of us liked it because we felt bigger needs had to be addressed at that point in the draft. But look how he turned out!
[/quote]

Believe me, I won't complain if they go WR early. If he is BPA and there isn't a LB or safety worth taking at the spot. I think Sanu and Jones both have a lot of potential, but I'm not against adding more.

[quote name='Rumble In the Jungle' timestamp='1359578416' post='1211998']
I think Sanu is going to be a beast.
[/quote]

I think so too. I think he's going to be the #2. They'll put him in the slot as well as outside IMO.

I don't think the teams who are successful most often spend a ton on WR's. I wouldn't hate it but I guess it wouldn't be my preference.....unless Patterson is there because he looks like he's a baller. He'll be gone top 10 or 15 at worst though and maybe even higher. He's truly talented.

I wouldn't mind a draft consisting of Barrett Jones, a RB or two, LB or two, S and the rest O and D linemen. Not necesarily in that order because I don't think Jones is a 1st Rd guy....maybe not even 2nd Rd but if he's sitting there with our 2nd pick in Rd 2, I'd grab him up and immediately upgrade the line. You take care of the offensive line and the other positions look much better.

I think our unrest is not at WR... i think giving Andy more time would help... giving Andy a Back that can get him out of trouble would help... WR #2 or #1 Cant help if you can't get them the ball... The OL needs help... I think you have to resign Andre... I think you have to let cook go...and play robinson... cook is a 2.5mil year guy... Zet.. did great.. boling is the weak link - LT whit... draft his replacement and have a strong back up... so i think G, OT, is hot in the top three picks followed by LB and S....the RB position i believe is deep in this draft so getting one in the third should be an option.... as for WR... late 6th.. FA... undrafted... but not in the first three picks....

[quote name='cincity' timestamp='1359637994' post='1212225']
I think Sanu and Jones got valuable game expeeience. Andy is getting more comfortable with them as well as trusting them more... Another off season will add to what they've learned... Drafting another WR will involve them getting used to the pro game. I think we were spoiled w/AJ coming I and setting the league on fire, that we think a 1st round WR is going to be better than what we have with the two second yr players...
[/quote]

I don't know. I mean we have a direct comparison of Keenan Allen and Marvin Jones as they were teammates in college. Keenan Allen was significantly better than Marvin despite being two years younger.

I just don't buy the argument that one of the top guys wouldn't be an instant upgrade over what we already have.

Due to AJ, Jones faced a lot of single coverage against the other teams 2nd best CB and he had very little production.

Sanu fared better, but he is definitely an inside guy.

I'd be shocked if we draft a single offensive lineman in the first 3 rounds. We have a stud LT, a good veteran Wharton and Boling at LG. Cook and Robinson are good. Zietler and Smith are studs on the right side.

We have plenty of talent. The problem last year was youth and rushing Cook back too soon.

Whit has a few years left there's no point in drafting his replacement now.

[quote name='akiliMVP' timestamp='1359661879' post='1212310']
I'd be shocked if we draft a single offensive lineman in the first 3 rounds. We have a stud LT, a good veteran Wharton and Boling at LG. Cook and Robinson are good. Zietler and Smith are studs on the right side.

We have plenty of talent. The problem last year was youth and rushing Cook back too soon.

Whit has a few years left there's no point in drafting his replacement now.
[/quote]

Agree.

Archived