Free Agency is OPEN

DHB or Nate Washington work for me.

I think the Bengals are very wise not to get into it this first day. I always forget that until right about now.

It's a great buyers market and with all the big money teams already spending a lot, we will have our pick of a TON of quality players still on the market.

Is Goodson that much materially better than Peerman?  Why waste Peerman on special teams when Herron can do that job?

Goodson is a bit different to Peerman.  He can pass protect and is a very capable receiver.  But like Peerman has had a few injuries in the past (mostly in college).  Lacks the bulk to be an every down back.  More like a Kenjon Barner type.

Is Goodson that much materially better than Peerman?  Why waste Peerman on special teams when Herron can do that job?

Look at goodsons 2010 season. I know that was only one year, but we dont have any back on the roster that has shown the ability to catch 40 passes for 300 plus yards not to mention still having a yards per carry over 4. Could be a very good 3rd down back, better then leonard IMO. Can spot start as well. 

Wouldnt force you to reach on a RB in the draft, although I would still draft one fairly early as long as they didnt go off the board too fast.

Look at goodsons 2010 season. I know that was only one year, but we dont have any back on the roster that has shown the ability to catch 40 passes for 300 plus yards not to mention still having a yards per carry over 4. Could be a very good 3rd down back, better then leonard IMO. Can spot start as well. 

Wouldnt force you to reach on a RB in the draft, although I would still draft one fairly early as long as they didnt go off the board too fast.

Then what's the point of signing Peerman?  Just special teams?  If he can't do it, lose him and just get someone like Goodson.  I hate having dudes on the team with no possibility of ever elevating to starter.  

Let him drag it out. In a couple days, nobody will have money to pay him what he wants and he'll have to come down on his price.

The hand wringers don't understand.

Teams over-pay on day one and are left to deal with the repercussions, as soon as, 2 years later. Meanwhile, good players are getting cut on Day 1,2,3,4 etc, the market gets flooded and the price goes down.

Day 1 FA splash is for suckers. Draft and fill, Draft and fill.

Then what's the point of signing Peerman?  Just special teams?  If he can't do it, lose him and just get someone like Goodson.  I hate having dudes on the team with no possibility of ever elevating to starter.  

Peerman is a pretty good special teams player and could also maybe be a spot starter if BJGE gets hurt. You need at least 3 RBs on the roster, if not 4. If you sign goodson you could feel comfortable going into next year with BJGE-Goodson-Peerman. If you get a RB BPA in the draft then you could carry 4 guys.

I want a proven guy that can run through the tackles, run outside, return kicks, and catch the ball out of the backfield. Goodson doesnt do any of those spectacularly but he can do all 4 pretty decently based on what I can tell. I really like his ability to catch the ball out of the backfield, something I really want in 2013. He can also pick up blitzes.

Think of who you would want at RB in a situation where you are down 6 with the ball on your own 20 with 2 minutes to go. BJGE doesnt offer much in that situation and I dont think peerman really would either. Goodson would be the perfect fit though in that type of situation. Can catch dump offs and fast enough to turn them into decent yardage. Would also be a pretty good 3rd down back as well.

Archived