Bengals bring back Maualuga

The coaches know Rey. They know he's a good guy. He knows the playbook well. They know he can play either MLB or SLB in our defense and is good in the locker room. They also know he has limitations and is a C type of player. They're not going to say that in the media because they know his psyche is fragile. I think they're more comfortable with Rey as the SAM than another free agent vet because of his experience in our system and chemistry with the team. 

It's not a great signing. But it's not awful or surprising. I think they could have gotten someone a little better in free agency. But really with how little we use the SLB I think they were more comfortable going for a player that they know and like.

The coaches know Rey. They know he's a good guy. He knows the playbook well. They know he can play either MLB or SLB in our defense and is good in the locker room. They also know he has limitations and is a C type of player. They're not going to say that in the media because they know his psyche is fragile. I think they're more comfortable with Rey as the SAM than another free agent vet because of his experience in our system and chemistry with the team. 

It's not a great signing. But it's not awful or surprising. I think they could have gotten someone a little better in free agency. But really with how little we use the SLB I think they were more comfortable going for a player that they know and like.

He has shown promise at SLB. He can NOT play MLB. He had 2 years at the spot and was Fucking Terrible. I understand why he was signed. What I don't understand is people acting like he is something more than he is. He is a placeholder, nothing more.

He has shown promise at SLB. He can NOT play MLB. He had 2 years at the spot and was Fucking Terrible. I understand why he was signed. What I don't understand is people acting like he is something more than he is. He is a placeholder, nothing more.

I don't think he's good at MLB either but from all indications he'll be a SLB where he is at least adequate

I just enjoy you crying about it and your disbelief. It's like someone told chocolate milk doesn't really come Chocolate cows.

Everyone for some reason thought Zimmer all of sudden would start blowing smoke up a players ass. Hilarious. They have had him targeted for SLB for a while. You just late to the party.

I just enjoy you crying about it and your disbelief. It's like someone told chocolate milk doesn't really come Chocolate cows.
Everyone for some reason thought Zimmer all of sudden would start blowing smoke up a players ass. Hilarious. They have had him targeted for SLB for a while. You just late to the party.

Well, Zimmer had Rey targeted for MLB two years ago. It failed.

Ill be the first to admit that zimmer is a great coach but people on here are funny. They act as if he has never been wrong about anything

Everyone seems to forget how bad the defense was the first half of the season and how well Mays has played. I give Zimmer huge props for fixing it in mid season which is difficult but he didn't have the defense ready to play at the start of the season.   In the first 8 games last year our defense allowed an average of 357 yards of offense.  Not exactly stellar.  It took the desperation move of bringing back Crocker and starting an undrafted FA at linebacker to turn things around.

Ill be the first to admit that zimmer is a great coach but people on here are funny. They act as if he has never been wrong about anything

Nobody said that either. I just laugh because all of you said that Zimmer was just blowing smoke up Rey's ass, while in reality, you were just blowing smoke up each others. As bad as all of you claim Rey was, he was the second best linebacker on the team last year. If you're going to improve the team, you don't do it by getting rid of the second best linebacker unless his demands are just out of this world. Now, you might, and probably should, try to find pieces that will make him the third or fourth best LB, but you don't prune a tree by cutting on of the secondary branches, you take off the shoots.

Nobody said that either. I just laugh because all of you said that Zimmer was just blowing smoke up Rey's ass, while in reality, you were just blowing smoke up each others. As bad as all of you claim Rey was, he was the second best linebacker on the team last year. If you're going to improve the team, you don't do it by getting rid of the second best linebacker unless his demands are just out of this world. Now, you might, and probably should, try to find pieces that will make him the third or fourth best LB, but you don't prune a tree by cutting on of the secondary branches, you take off the shoots.

Being the second best linebacker in no way shape or form means you are a good player.   In 2000 the second best linebacker on the team was Steve Foley.  Our second best receiver was Craig Yeast.  Howard is better anyways, if he is healthy.

The decision has been made and it is obvious Marvin and Zimmer have much confidence in Rey.  I'm going to look at the positives of this move and cheer on Rey to play better and with confidence, because that means the Bengals will also be better.  But I have a feeling some of you would prefer he fail so you can rant and carryon about "I told you so".  

Being the second best linebacker in no way shape or form means you are a good player.   In 2000 the second best linebacker on the team was Steve Foley.  Our second best receiver was Craig Yeast.

Come on, bro. Wake up. No matter how many times you say he sucks or he isn't good, it doesn't make it true. You don't even get in the league without being an exceptional talent. Now is he the best? Hell, no. Is he an all pro? Hell, no. But he's better than a lot of guys or people who are hired and fired to make those decisions would make different ones. I, too, thought Burfict outplayed him last year and if Howard came back healthy, he'd be above Rey, too. But he's better than VRey, Moch, Maybin, and at this point, Lamur. And he's better than Steve Foley ever was. That tends to be the problem on here, you guys want everything to be black and white, superstar or bust, and that's just not the NFL, nor is that anywhere else. I truly believe most of you have never managed or supervised anything, never hired or fired.

Being 2nd best lb on this lb crew is like winning the special Olympics, yeah you won but you're still retarded

Whats wrong is this:  We have $32 mil in cap space.  7 or 8 will go to Andre.  Hoping a 6 or 7 mil to other players to include Adam Jones.  So where does that leave us?   $18 mil under the cap?   I am not saying we spend $6 mil on a linebacker but we certainly could have spent 2 to 4 and upgraded the position and gotten Debbie Downer out of town.  Nick Roach is a 3 position player and would have cost about the same.

get your point, though its now around $28.75M after the Maualuga signing.  I think the wild card in all of it is Anderson and Allen.  If the team doesn't anticipate them on the team, it frees up a nice chunk of change (at least $6.2M). If not, it makes things a little stickier as they've already set $18M aside for extensions, draft picks, and injuries.  

So that leaves about $10.75M aside to get Andre, Adam, Newman and anyone else they want done.

Archived