*UPDATE* Bengals and James Harrison reach agreement on a deal

Burfict is still a question mark upstairs and has never played the middle for us yet.

Upstairs as in "his head"? I think he's fine there, especially since he's still operating under an UFA contract. And so what if he hasn't? That's what camp, OTA's and preseason are for. In my mind, he's already demonstrated the ability to play there. Surely the coaching staff can try him there when games don't matter and make their own determination. And I am also sure that they will try him there. It's where he's played since high school! And Maualuga sucked there!

Upstairs as in "his head"? I think he's fine there, especially since he's still operating under an UFA contract. And so what if he hasn't? That's what camp, OTA's and preseason are for. In my mind, he's already demonstrated the ability to play there. Surely the coaching staff can try him there when games don't matter and make their own determination. And I am also sure that they will try him there. It's where he's played since high school! And Maualuga sucked there!

So what? You are counting on him to call the plays, me the heart and soul of the defense in the middle and be consistent. The guy went undrafted because he was so inconsistent in almost every way. He has proven a ton but he is just one year removed from going undrafted because his lack of maturity didn't let him get out of his own way. I hope there is a time where we don't have to worry about it but I also would try to put him in a position where he has great role models and a fairly simplified system. Give him his best chance to succeed

You are one of mine too. Don't remember why. Probably for similar blueridge crap.

I took everyone but blue ridge off my ignore. I couldn't remember why I had people on there so it was probably just a grumpy day from me or them. I had like 17 people on there. I do have to admit my time here has been much better and I think the tool is a really good thing, but when I can't remember why a guy is on there then I should probably take it off.

I took everyone but blue ridge off my ignore. I couldn't remember why I had people on there so it was probably just a grumpy day from me or them. I had like 17 people on there. I do have to admit my time here has been much better and I think the tool is a really good thing, but when I can't remember why a guy is on there then I should probably take it off.

Only problem is even when you have them on ignore and they post something douchy,, someone.quotes them and you still see it unless that has changed.

where would you play all of them? Burfict is definitely going to start, Maualuga is making starter's money, Harrison likely wouldn't be signed to be a backup, and Dansby will likely get starter-ish money.  

WILL - Dansby/ Howard
MIKE - Burfict
SAM - Harrison/ Dansby

So basically we sign two players from the Howard, Dansby, Harrison pool imo. Also remember, Dansby can play all 3 LB spots so gives you the flexibility and probably eliminates Maualuga from playing MIKE on the depth chart. However, Harrison provides better pass rush. Whilst Howard is a stud in coverage. So it's a case of the Bengals coaching staff paying due diligence and deciding what flavor they want for this defense.

WILL - Dansby/ Howard
MIKE - Burfict
SAM - Harrison/ Dansby

So basically we sign two players from the Howard, Dansby, Harrison pool imo. Also remember, Dansby can play all 3 LB spots so gives you the flexibility and probably eliminates Maualuga from playing MIKE on the depth chart. However, Harrison provides better pass rush. Whilst Howard is a stud in coverage. So it's a case of the Bengals coaching staff paying due diligence and deciding what flavor they want for this defense.

The best part about this depth chart is the lack of Maualugadouchebag.

The best part about this depth chart is the lack of Maualugadouchebag.

I don't know if you meant it as douchebag of a player or person, but I can tell you this, every training camp practice I have been at or any event Maualuga is usually the last one out signing autographs and talking to the fans.

Maualuga seems like a genuinely good dude even if he has had some maturity issues in the past.

I don't know if you meant it as douchebag of a player or person, but I can tell you this, every training camp practice I have been at or any event Maualuga is usually the last one out signing autographs and talking to the fans.

Maualuga seems like a genuinely good dude even if he has had some maturity issues in the past.

It simply boils down to the question, "Will signing Dansby and either a healthy Howard or still capable? Harrison make our LB corp better? I honestly think Dansby is a no brainer unless I am missing something. Having a lineup of Burfect, Dansby, and either Harrison or Howard makes the LB corp WAY better.

As far as Rey goes, he is currently in the same place Dhani Jones was in my mind. Nice guy but he just isn't getting it done on the field.

EnglishBengal, on 12 Apr 2013 - 06:26 AM, said:

WILL - Dansby/ Howard
MIKE - Burfict
SAM - Harrison/ Dansby

While it sounds nice, I don't think that they are going to sign more than one vet backer. I think it is between Howard/Dansby/Thomas. It may just depend on what happens in the draft.

For SAM though, we have more than a few guys that are on the roster currently that have played there. I really don't see them signing Harrison unless its for peanuts. Moch/Maybin/Maualuga have all played some SAM or attempted too. Thought I saw Lamur mentioned as a possible SAM too, but I haven't really kept up on much as of late.

I think Dansby would be the best bet if they don't go backer early. Great in coverage and stout against the run.

Moch better show something or he is going straight to the unemployment line or someones PS.

I think if Harrison happens he will not be a starter.   He will be a situational rush guy that probably gets 15-25 snaps a game pending the situations the game presents.

If Dansby happens he's a starter at MLB.  

I don't know that it would even be that much if he's a backup.  Bengals don't play their backup LB's much.  Skuta, Lamur, Muckelroy, and Rey combined for only 317 snaps on the season (19 per game). 

I just can't see him being a backup.  He'd have to play special teams likely, and durability is an issue at his age.

IMO, if you aren't willing to give Harrison the freedom to blow up back fields and chase QBs then you are wasting your time.  They really don't like their LBs to have that freedom.

How do they get him on the field?  I don't know.  I think it's an odd fit.    I hope Dansby happens more.

If Harrison happens I think it plays into what they got Maybin for and I would envision someone like Rey filling SAM most of the time and then leaving the field to get another rusher on the field.

I just don't see Harrison as fulltime starter at SLB in 4-3.   It'd be curious to watch if it happens.

One thing that happens all the time is Coaches/Front offices do an agent a favor by working their guy out just to get some news going and there really isn't a serious intention of signing the player.   Not saying that is going on here but this visit really is a curious move.  Especially after he openly says he'd consider the Steelers and then they promply shoot him down. 

At the end of the day, I'd worry because the Steelers have always been good of dumping their system produced LBs at the right time. 

I may be off base on Harrison's attitude, but I'd worry about him becoming a locker room issue if he's not a starter.

I don't like the guy and think Dansby is a far greater target, but I guess I'll deal with it if Harrison gets signed. He's one of the few guys I genuinely dislike for more than just wearing a Steeler uniform.

Just calling them like I see them.

Well, since you haven't called anything, that's debatable. If you think Burfect at Will, Rey at MLB and someone to be named later at SAM is the best option given the current FAs on the market and our current cap space just say so.

Then, we will mock you in ernest.

Mike, Katie, Mike, and Marvin know what they are looking for in a FALB. I will be fine with whomever they get. I am sure they are building a Top 5 D.

Whatever they are planning FA wise, it should happen BEFORE the draft. Picking up a good LB in FA would probably change the complexion of the draft.

Archived