Who do you want on day 2?

I'd take Cyprien at 37 to complete the defense then pray to God Lacy, Bernard or Franklin make it to 53. It seems very possible one of them does.

yea I'd go Cyprien or Swearinger at 37.  Cyprien's probably the better prospect, but Swearinger may be the better fit.

IMO too many good RB's (well all of them) left to take one at 37.  Unless there's a serious run, there's gonna be some very good RB's sitting there at 83.

My feeling is you need to do everything you can to make sure you keep a really good defense...even at the expense of your offense.  Even when the Ravens O was bad, their D consistently got them deep into the playoffs.  If we can build enough depth on D to withstand injuries and let people go when they get too expensive and have their replacements ready we'll be in a  good spot.  I feel like we're right on the cusp of a dominate defense so we really need to get there.  Adding a LB and a S might take us over the top.  

On offense, no matter who we get the success is on the arm of Andy Dalton.  Yes, upgrades will be nice, but the offense will go as AD goes.  A better running game will help, but I don't think it catapults us into a top 10 level offense unless AD takes that next step.  

So let's build the D to give the offense good field position and lots of possessions.  Just my opinion.

Unless taking a safety helps the defense enough for them to hold playoff offenses to 5 point or less, it doesn't matter. Because its been a whil since our starting offense has scored more than six points against another team's starting defense.

don't get me wrong, I'm a big Hunter fan, I just don't see how you do it unless you're willing to send Sanu to the bench.

More like Jones. Especially this year Sanu would play more than Hunter. Sanu in 2WR sets and Hunter in 3 with Sanu moving to the slot. It also gives us better depth if someone gets hurt.

More like Jones. Especially this year Sanu would play more than Hunter. Sanu in 2WR sets and Hunter in 3 with Sanu moving to the slot. It also gives us better depth if someone gets hurt.

right but if you go 3 WR sets with Hunter and Sanu you're taking Eifert or Gresham off the field or going with a no-back set.

I know who I'd (S and RB or LB and RB) like to see picked in the 2nd, but the only thing predictable about the Bengals 2nd rounders are usually how unpredictable they often are.  Devon Still last year, Jerome Simpson, Kenny Irons, Whitworth wasn't expected, last time they had 2 they took Madieu and Keiwann Ratliff who were mild suprises if I recall.  I'm usually ready to be saying "Huh" with this pick.

What links a lot of those picks is that they are 'look ahead' picks.  They didn't address a current need but one seen for the year after.  Simpson was to replace Chad, Whitworth replace whichever OL guy we couldn't resign.   I suppose you could even say Still might be Atkins insurance.

So where do we have a need not this year, but in a year or 2?  LB might be the choice there, as we will have a lot of older vets on short contracts this year.

I really don't see WR being the pick. How would you put aj gresh eifert Sanu and a 2nd rounder all on the field at the same time?
At this point as for as receiving targets go you have to look at what number threat they will be.
Aj number 1. Gresh and eifert prob 2 and 3. Sanu 4. I think Marvin jones is fine as the fifth threat.
Hell if you get a Gio Bernard that can catch out of the backfield that drops WR3 to 6th.

I agree, plus there will still be some good WRs later on. In round 2, they have a chance to get some of the cream of the crop at S and RB, or even T or DE.

There will also be some good S around in round 3, most likely, as well as RB so it'll depend on how they have guys rated. So basically, I haven't a freakin' clue what they will do. But with 3 picks, they have a chance to make some hay.

Unless taking a safety helps the defense enough for them to hold playoff offenses to 5 point or less, it doesn't matter. Because its been a whil since our starting offense has scored more than six points against another team's starting defense.

I'm not an AD fan, but the end of last year isn't going to be the norm...it was just a really bad stretch.  I think if you can get a safety and Arthur Brown that makes them the best D in the division, which probably makes them the best D in the league.  

We don't do that as far as I remember...we usually have one pick from each side in the first three....even last year when we went defense early 3 of 4.  So I'd say one of the second rounders will be defense.

Ding ding ding.  Last year we alternated Off & Def and went Def (Krikpatrick), Off (Zeitler) ,Def (Still) , Off (Sanu), Def (Thomspson) , Off (Charles), Def (Prater), Off (Jones), Def (Iloka), Off (Herron)..

So since we went Offense with our first pick..... we're destined to go Def with pick #37 (or our next pick) and Off with #53 (our next pick after that)!

So it'll clearly be S/LB/DE at #37 and RB/WR/OL with #53. Mark it down.  Kinda joking but I'd take bets on it...

right but if you go 3 WR sets with Hunter and Sanu you're taking Eifert or Gresham off the field or going with a no-back set.

But you would have the option to go 3WR or 2TE and still be stacked.

But I don't think they would take Hunter at 37 anyway.

I'm not an AD fan, but the end of last year isn't going to be the norm...it was just a really bad stretch.  I think if you can get a safety and Arthur Brown that makes them the best D in the division, which probably makes them the best D in the league.  

A backup LB and some rookie safety isn't going to make a difference to our success this season. Scoring points will.

How does adding a backup WLB make them the best D in the division?

:)

yea I'd go Cyprien or Swearinger at 37.  Cyprien's probably the better prospect, but Swearinger may be the better fit.

IMO too many good RB's (well all of them) left to take one at 37.  Unless there's a serious run, there's gonna be some very good RB's sitting there at 83.

As far as impact in the W-L column, I see a RB (probably even Lacy) having more of an effect than S.

Some of the young guys weren't ready last year (Sands should be cut), the team signed a guy (albeit familiar) off the street and the D went bananas. Between the remaining FA veterans and a prospect group that still includes Cyprien, Swearinger, Rambo, P. Thomas, S. Thomas, D. Williams, S. Williams etc. there is still a lot to be had.

The RB's are deep as well but I like the Michael, Randle, Gillislee tier less than I like the second or third tier at S, as far as equating to wins and losses.

I really don't see WR being the pick. How would you put aj gresh eifert Sanu and a 2nd rounder all on the field at the same time?

At this point as for as receiving targets go you have to look at what number threat they will be.

Aj number 1. Gresh and eifert prob 2 and 3. Sanu 4. I think Marvin jones is fine as the fifth threat.

Hell if you get a Gio Bernard that can catch out of the backfield that drops WR3 to 6th.

this was a point i was getting at. with the two very legitimate TE threats now, both who i imagine will see a lot of time together, the role of the new RB we draft changes. it's not going to be so important that he's a great outlet valve. the two TEs are going to receive a good majority of the catches that RB would have had come his way. sure, it's still important that he can catch, but that importance went way down. his production in the running game, on the other hand, has increased. i think eddie lacy's value went up, and gio bernard's value went down, to us, with the drafting of eifert and the likely switch to a 2 TE offense. 

this was a point i was getting at. with the two very legitimate TE threats now, both who i imagine will see a lot of time together, the role of the new RB we draft changes. it's not going to be so important that he's a great outlet valve. the two TEs are going to receive a good majority of the catches that RB would have had come his way. sure, it's still important that he can catch, but that importance went way down. his production in the running game, on the other hand, has increased. i think eddie lacy's value went up, and gio bernard's value went down, to us, with the drafting of eifert and the likely switch to a 2 TE offense. 

Agreed.  Less balls to go around now so maybe long term #1 back projection would be more valuable than versatility.  That secondary receiving/change of pace back whose bound to see less snaps may be satisfied by a late round pick.  This first pick is going to tell us a lot about how they feel about their backfield on both sides of the ball IMO.

there's no way either of the 2nd rounders will be a WR unless it's a guy they have rated so much higher than anyone else on their board.

there's a part of this statement that pains me (i'll get over it, lol), but i think it's the truth. everything changed with eifert's selection, not that that's necessarily a bad thing, but it does become a reality. now it comes down to how many snaps would another WR get, how much production can you therefor expect, and are you utilizing the value of that pick to it's peak. i think the answer to those questions is pretty evident. i'd still look for a steal later, but the importance of drafting a WR dropped way down the list, with eifert's selection.

Just can't see us reaching for a small school safety project with all the top WRs and RBs on the board.

The reason we've done so well in the second round is because we take the top players available, first round talents that slide to round two. It just happens that the best players who have slid are at WR and RB -two positions we need. And two positions we have historically had the most success with in the second round.

Keenan Allen, Robert Woods, Eddie Lacy, Gio Bernard...

Archived