Government Shutdown

Go Skins

Don't get the point of the article. Of course Camp David is open and secured. It's a secure location it would make no sense to pull security and then have to re-secure it.

As for the comment that it's kept open for his entertainment leads me to disregard the entire article. Maybe we should look at many days Bush spent their for his entertainment.

It should not matter how much time any president spends there.  One reason Camp David needs to remain open is for the purpose you state.  To me it is not the point.  The point of the article ( to me ) is that there are places and things remaining open while others close down.  Places closing that should never close and places remaining open at the expense of others closing makes no sense.  Would you keep the golf courses open if you are going to close other things that are more essential to life than a game of golf ?  Today, while driving on base I was simply amazed to see the golf course still open but the commissary closed and the liquor store open.   I also noted the downsized staff in admin and also health care facilities.  Seeing this article reminded me of how screwed up the priorities are.  Functions that seem to most to be essential are not and things that should not matter are still open. 

Note:  Reagan visited Camp David 186 times spending 517 days there.  Carter spent 376 days.   Bush ( 43 ) spent 387 days there ( article was written July 2007 but article wrote in 2009 states 149 visits for 487 days ).  etc...  No president beats FDR which has spent the most time at Camp David ( when FDR did it Camp David was still called USS Shangri la ).  However, adding time spent at Crawford Ranch ( 665 times for 418 days ) and Bush 43 beats them all.  Clinton hardly spent anytime at Camp David.

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/story?id=3352067&page=1

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-503544_162-4728085-503544.html

We did not have a shutdown while Bush 43 was in office.  Relevance would be to discuss Reagan which in fact had multiple shutdowns.

Looks like the furloughed workers are going to get back pay, which is good news.  Does anyone think the gov't shutdown is going to end soon?  I really can't gage whats going on, but then again, I don't know much about politics in general. 

Looks like the furloughed workers are going to get back pay, which is good news.  Does anyone think the gov't shutdown is going to end soon?  I really can't gage whats going on, but then again, I don't know much about politics in general. 

We have a few posters that can chime in on this subject with more information.  Some in DC itself.  Historically speaking;

http://www.latimes.com/nation/politics/politicsnow/la-pn-government-shutdown-q-and-a-20130930,0,5564531.story

In the Clinton administration, there were two government shutdowns. One lasted five days, the other, which affected only part of the government, went on for three weeks.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/10/07/politics/shutdown-showdown/index.html

House Speaker John Boehner said Sunday there will be no debt limit increase and no end to the partial government shutdown that began October 1, unless Obama and Senate Democrats negotiate a broader agreement with House Republicans.

"It is time to deal with America's problems," he told ABC in demanding what he repeatedly called a "conversation" with the White House and Democrats. "How can you raise the debt limit and do nothing about the underlying problem?"

Democratic Sen. Chuck Schumer of New York rejected Boehner's demand on Monday, telling CNN that it was wrong to make a possible government default part of political negotiations.

"No one should risk it and no one should say, 'I want my political agenda attached to it, otherwise, I will let it happen,'" Schumer said.

At issue is how to reach an agreement to fund the government in the newly started fiscal year and raise the $16.7 trillion debt limit.

Conservative Republicans intent on shrinking the government while trying to weaken Obamacare demand that any agreement on funding for the newly started fiscal year and raising the debt limit include their priorities.

Boehner insisted that a deal to raise the debt ceiling must include deficit reduction steps that would lower costs of entitlement programs such as Medicare, Medicaid and Social Security.

http://www.wjla.com/articles/2013/10/government-shutdown-2013-back-pay-bill-held-up-by-gop-senator-95038.html

WASHINGTON (AP) - A bill the House passed to guarantee that furloughed federal workers receive back pay after the partial government shutdown is resolved seems to have hit a snag in the Senate.

The second-ranking Senate Republican, John Cornyn of Texas, says "it's premature to do it right now."

The measure passed the House unanimously on Saturday and has the backing of the White House, so eventual passage through the Senate seems assured.

Majority Leader Harry Reid, however, isn't inclined to devote a lot of the Senate's time to the bill. He may seek to pass the measure by voice vote, a step that could be blocked by any senator.

Reid has blocked several House measures to reopen certain programs like health research, disaster relief efforts and food aid for low-income pregnant women.

I really really hope the local democrats get their shit together and run somebody against this assclown.  ANYBODY.  I'd vote for a fucking traffic cone at this point.

Never underestimate the ability of your local electorate to whiff when the opportunity arises.  Harry Reid should have lost by 20 points in 2010, but then the Republicans ran some tea-bagging lunatic against him and he won in a walk.  This woman was so crazy and dumb I would have been loathe to leave her unattended in a room with a mildly sharpened crayon for fear she would do grievous injury to herself.  :doh:

I've learned to not trust my fellow voters as far as I can throw them... 

http://www.wjla.com/articles/2013/10/debt-ceiling-2013-john-boehner-to-ask-for-short-term-increase-sources-say-95178.html

(AP) - House Speaker John Boehner is set to ask his party to approve a short-term debt ceiling increase, sources tell the Associated Press.
Continue reading
More to come.

Think this was the offer to raise the debt ceiling and then talk about ending the shutdown of the gov. This means those fed workers who were called back to work because they agreed to pay them the back pay when the shutdown is over would be working without getting a check for maybe another 6 weeks. Back pay is good but how many people here would work for 2 months while your employer held your check? Also this would mean no VA disability checks would go out to us Vets, don't know how it affects regular military checks yet but need to find out if the fucktards who never served is going to screw with my money.

Checked DFAS site and retired pay is not impacted. Cool so I can pay my mortgage, but sorry DP&L and Vectren hope you understand. Maybe I'll call them and say sorry until the fucktards release the rest of my household income you can't get paid.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/10/08/truckers-ride-for-the-constitution_n_4061118.html

"Truckers Ride For The Constitution" -- known as "Truckers To Shutdown America" before their original Facebook page was shut down -- plans to clog the Interstate 495 inner loop from Oct. 11 to Oct. 13.

The truckers said they hope to create enough of a backup on the highway to express their frustration with the "lawlessness" of members of Congress "who refuse to work on behalf of the American people."

"It has become apparent that our elected official [sic] will never respond to the will of the people as long as their greed wealth is not jeopardized," the demonstration organizers said in a press release. "The only thing that motivates every politician is their money -- cutting off their money-flow cuts off their life-blood. The Independent Truckers in the United States essentially keep commerce flowing for benefit of the central government.”

The group went on to list other grievances, saying truckers are "strangled with regulations" and the government "now support[s] Al Qaeda."

The coalition of independent truckers has been planning the event since mid-September. The original page listed their plans for the October strike as such: "Truck drivers will not haul freight! Workers will call in sick! Consumers will not buy or sell anything on this date! Stay home! Buy nothing!"

Earl Conlon, a trucker from Georgia organizing the logistics of the demonstration, told U.S. News that the group isn't calling for impeachment, just the arrest of members of Congress involved in the government shutdown. He identified House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) and Sen. Dianne Feinstein (D-Calif.) as two of his targets.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ps4GbTw57bY

Boehner admits they had an agreement on a "clean budget" (no ACA amendments) but decided to shut down the government over ACA.. I don't see how anyone can lay this at the feet of the Dems.. You don't get to shut down the government because you don't like a law that has been passed by congress, signed by the POTUS and upheld as constitutional by the courts.

That's not how a democracy works.. I agree with whoever said Boehner and others should be impeached for seditious activity.

Just like in sports.. Scoreboard motherfuckers.. You don't like the laws the primarily democratic congress passed?  Win more elections.

You know what is a load of shit? My parents are visiting Washington DC this week with some friends that have never been. They are old. My Dad is 72 and a retired major general in the US Army. Due to this shutdown, they won't be able to visit many places that they otherwise would.  My Mom's parents are buried in Arlington, for fuck's sake and my Dad, a retired major general, cannot get access to the Pentagon for a tour! 

Fuck this government and their bullshit. Fuck them straight in the ass over and over. Such bullshit.

Archived