Dumbo Dalton numbers update

What happens when Dalton wins Super Bowl MVP this year by throwing for 6 TDs and 500 yards against the 49ers? Does Go's head spontaneously explode from the cognitive dissonance?

No, because Imaginary Carson or whatever image of a QB he has in his head would have got 1000 yards and 15 TDs.

I'm as excited as everyone else that Dalton is playing well, and I hope he keeps it up because we're winning games.  I guess I just have a cautious optimism.  We've seen him play well in stretches then crash back to earth.  Last year he played well when we beat the NYG (21/30 199 yds 4/0), KC (18/29 230 yds 2/0), OAK (16/30 210 yds, 3/0).  After that stretch he fell back down to earth the rest of the season and the playoffs.  

This stretch he's on now is better than last year's stretch, and we should celebrate what he's doing.  I just think it's a little premature to declare this is who Andy Dalton is.  I'd love it it is, but based on the short history we have with him, it's not.  Now I don't expect him to fall off as much as he did last year b/c I think he's a better QB now, but a little drop off, or a bad stretch of games, may be coming.

Long story short, I just think it's silly on both sides, pro-Andy & anti-Andy, to gloat after each good or bad game.  

I'm as excited as everyone else that Dalton is playing well, and I hope he keeps it up because we're winning games.  I guess I just have a cautious optimism.  We've seen him play well in stretches then crash back to earth.  Last year he played well when we beat the NYG (21/30 199 yds 4/0), KC (18/29 230 yds 2/0), OAK (16/30 210 yds, 3/0).  After that stretch he fell back down to earth the rest of the season and the playoffs.  

This stretch he's on now is better than last year's stretch, and we should celebrate what he's doing.  I just think it's a little premature to declare this is who Andy Dalton is.  I'd love it it is, but based on the short history we have with him, it's not.  Now I don't expect him to fall off as much as he did last year b/c I think he's a better QB now, but a little drop off, or a bad stretch of games, may be coming.

Long story short, I just think it's silly on both sides, pro-Andy & anti-Andy, to gloat after each good or bad game.  

In those games you are referring to his % was 70, 62, and 53.  He was also playing three bottom of the pack teams (some of us got crap for it at the time, but history has proven that we were right - the Giants were a bad team (they've gone 5-11 in their last 16 games). 

I'm not expecting the world this season either, but he has demonstrated quite clearly that he's taken that next step that many of us hoped for but wondered if he could.

That is true....but he didn't have Gio, Sanu, Eifert and Marvin looking like he has turned a serious corner...

not to add that the o-line has been pretty damn good this year... 

There's a reason Marvin is focusing so heavily on Turnovers now in all of his press conferences. With the new Offensive system we have in place (high percentage, spread it around, control the ball), the death blow can come by giving the other team the ball.  If AD can continue to limit his TO's, good things will keep on coming.

In those games you are referring to his % was 70, 62, and 53.  He was also playing three bottom of the pack teams (some of us got crap for it at the time, but history has proven that we were right - the Giants were a bad team (they've gone 5-11 in their last 16 games). 

I'm not expecting the world this season either, but he has demonstrated quite clearly that he's taken that next step that many of us hoped for but wondered if he could.

I think he's taking that next step.  I think it's still too early to say he's actually taken it, but I'm way more encouraged than I was after the Browns  debacle.  

That is true....but he didn't have Gio, Sanu, Eifert and Marvin looking like he has turned a serious corner...

not to add that the o-line has been pretty damn good this year... 

Fair point.  I'm hoping he gets even better than these last few weeks, but that would be nearly impossible to do.  I really couldn't be happier with how he and the team are playing right now.  

After that, he had an excellent game vs PIT to seal the division.  Pitt sold out hard to stop the run, and dared him to pass outside all day.  He played well, keeping the pressure on and getting a big completion to win at the end.  It wasn't on Andy that day we didn't score a TD...some bad luck and some great defensive play kept that from happening.  But he had a good performance in a critical team win.

I love going back and watching that game.

There's a reason Marvin is focusing so heavily on Turnovers now in all of his press conferences. With the new Offensive system we have in place (high percentage, spread it around, control the ball), the death blow can come by giving the other team the ball.  If AD can continue to limit his TO's, good things will keep on coming.

I'm guessing that message is directed at Dalton's corp of young recievers as well.

It's a tricky thing to criticize, but we've seen too many examples of guys giving up the ball while fighting for extra yardage.

I'm guessing that message is directed at Dalton's corp of young recievers as well.

It's a tricky thing to criticize, but we've seen too many examples of guys giving up the ball while fighting for extra yardage.

For sure.  I thought it noteworthy last week on both Marvin Jones' long run up the sideline and AJ's second long haul that both seemed a bit more preoccupied about protecting the ball.  Gresham is the one that worries me the most in that department, and to a lesser degree Gio - just because he's a rookie who may sometimes lose his head when trying to do too much.

For sure.  I thought it noteworthy last week on both Marvin Jones' long run up the sideline and AJ's second long haul that both seemed a bit more preoccupied about protecting the ball.  Gresham is the one that worries me the most in that department, and to a lesser degree Gio - just because he's a rookie who may sometimes lose his head when trying to do too much.

yea on one of Green's longballs in between 2 defenders, he wrapped up with both hands and stopped trying to run and just let them tie him up.

Gio lost two fumbles as a redshirt freshman but didnt lose a fumble during the whole 2012 season at NC. His only fumble with us thus far was on a very wet day vs NE. I feel confident that Gio's ball security at this level won't be an issue.

No, actually I think it's pretty much expected for fans to "gloat" as you call it when the QB of their team kicks a bunch of ass.  It's kind of what fans do AFAIK.  Gloating over a bad game, however, is definitely silly/miserable/sad.  It's kind of messed up to want something to fail just to prove you're right.

Go ahead with the whole fence-sitting middle-of-the-road thing if you want but that "well both sides have valid arguments" stuff is weak.  It's ok to have an opinion.

No, actually I think it's pretty much expected for fans to "gloat" as you call it when the QB of their team kicks a bunch of ass.  It's kind of what fans do AFAIK.  Gloating over a bad game, however, is definitely silly/miserable/sad.  It's kind of messed up to want something to fail just to prove you're right.

Go ahead with the whole fence-sitting middle-of-the-road thing if you want but that "well both sides have valid arguments" stuff is weak.  It's ok to have an opinion.

The pro Dalton versus the anti Dalton group has gotten stale, so now time to get after the fence-sitting middle-of-the-road gang!  Gotta love this place!

:)

I would think a lot people are still on the fence about Dalton

Archived