The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly - Chargers

Well, thats where he threw it after 1.76 seconds so I can only speculate that was what he decided to do pre snap.  We can certainly debate whether or not that was the right decision but that is where the ball went.

LMAO.

Dude, have you gone back and watched the play on a real TV yet?  Seriously, please do it. And please make note of Andy looking toward Hawkins, and then to Eifert AND THEN to Gresham.

And where the ball went has ZERO to do with what the play design is or where it was originally attended to go or what the first read was.  And even you know better than that.

Green was open if the pass is thrown as soon as AJ cut BEHIND the corner.   Of course, I can't see the rest of the picture so I have no idea if someone was right on top of him.

From the end of the GIF, there are a couple of guys on the next yard line past where Green is cutting.  It might be possible when he clears the CB to fit one in there in front of them, if the LBs were on Gresh and he had the time to wait for Green to get a bit inside behind them

Not a sure thing though.  SD really has things covered fairly well.

Which just gave me a radical thought.

I think if we get into a situation where we'll be in the playoffs and can afford to rest guys versus Baltimore that the best thing we could do is sit AJ Green and force the rest of the Offense to get along without him.  I have a feeling we'd see a major growth step up with Dalton.

Not gonna lie, a part of me was hoping AJ didn't come back in against the Chargers. Not because I want him hurt or think he's a liability, but because I think his absence would force Gruden and Dalton to be better, and this offense is at its best when everyone is involved.

Not gonna lie, a part of me was hoping AJ didn't come back in against the Chargers. Not because I want him hurt or think he's a liability, but because I think his absence would force Gruden and Dalton to be better, and this offense is at its best when everyone is involved.

I was thinking the same thing.

Looks like Dalton will have to get rid of it in a second, since 64 is losing his block. So might as well have short routes.

this indeed was the case, and probably why he didn't get rid of it sooner than SF2 would have liked.

BamqW28CIAEjH74.png

so while I'm still not a fan of the play design, and think I would have been looking right,  a good case can be made for "it was cook's fault"

You could also argue that that's a case of where Dalton could just slide to his right a step or two and buy more time, or run - which was something I was pleasantly pleased to see him do at least once on Sunday.

very true.  He was smart not to rush the throw that likely would have been tipped, but he certainly could have had better pocket awareness.  Though if he steps right, the left linebacker still has Gresham covered and likely closes in thinking Dalton will scramble.

Interesting take, because the way I see it is AJ's lazy play at times this season has cost AD ints and the Bengals wins. I know most are blind to that though.

AJ has been kind of disappointing.

On the INT there was a free rusher about to level Dalton so he didn't step into the throw enough. I'd have to watch it again to see if there was an open man underneath but it looked like a bunch of deep routes. VERY slow to develop, whatever the play call.

this indeed was the case, and probably why he didn't get rid of it sooner than SF2 would have liked.

BamqW28CIAEjH74.png

so while I'm still not a fan of the play design, and think I would have been looking right,  a good case can be made for "it was cook's fault"

as he releases the ball, cook's man actually has a hand near dalton's face. cook was losing ground with the guy, and fast. another second and dalton would have been ...."and down goes frazier".

You could also argue that that's a case of where Dalton could just slide to his right a step or two and buy more time, or run - which was something I was pleasantly pleased to see him do at least once on Sunday.

One of the things dalton needs to work on for sure. Its not an easy thing and not many QBs are great at it, but the really good QBs there (mannings, brady's etc) likely would have just taken a step or two to the right and buy themselves a second or two to find an open guy. Dalton has sometimes scrambled on those, but rarely does he buy himself extra time to find an open receiver.

Manning is so good at it its amazing. He makes his online look so much better than it probably is by just moving around a little bit in the pocket to buy himself more time. I dont expect dalton to be an expert at it at this point in his career, but he certainly can and needs to improve in that aspect. Probably more than a lot of other things.

Seemed to me like dalton settled down last Sunday finally after he had made a successful scramble and run for yards. I think i recall that from other games too. He is no Luck or Wilson on the move, but he is not a sloth.

Musing from me is, with regard to his obvious early game jitters or whatever it is, maybe a designed rollout or something to get him moving will settle him down quicker in games and get him in the flow quicker.

as he releases the ball, cook's man actually has a hand near dalton's face. cook was losing ground with the guy, and fast. another second and dalton would have been ...."and down goes frazier".

judging by the gif I don't think Cook's man would have ever touched Dalton, but he certainly could have interefered with the timing of the throw or be the reason why Dalton didn't rifle it in there (another aspect we've overlooked).

greshaminc_zps6df706b7.gif

judging by the gif I don't think Cook's man would have ever touched Dalton, but he certainly could have interefered with the timing of the throw or be the reason why Dalton didn't rifle it in there (another aspect we've overlooked).

From other stills it looks like he is more of a threat than that.  Cook might have been able to ride him by, but then he would have been obstructing AD himself.

Giving up on a play a smidge early when it really isn't going well isn't the end of the world - you reduce the risk of a strip-fumble.  As long as the throw has a low risk factor, you can just go on to the next down.  It looks like he threw to the correct side of Gresh to avoid the LB that had the best chance of cutting in front.

A gain of three or four on first down isn't that bad.

i know you have this ability....go back to the tape and slo-mo it while doing so. the gif doesn't really define the end of it as well. the way i saw it, after getting a good jump off the snap along with a good bull rush on cook, the lineman ( i think it's #92 cam thomas) wins the edge on the right side. cook is clearly beat at this point, and the only thing that saves dalton is the guy letting up to avoid a late hit penalty, after seeing the ball come out of dalton's hand. i think if dalton had held onto it a split second longer 330 lbs of nose tackle was about to rain down on him, as cook had already lost that battle.

Back on topic:

Good things not mentioned thus far:

1).  Eifert is one damn good blocker,  On BJGE's TD, he blocked 300 lb DE Kendall Reyes out of the play into the ground.  The initial contact was  double team with Alex Smith, but Eifert finished him off single handed thereafter.   On the clinching First down carry he obliterated the LB Jonas Mouton and BJGE went right through his gaping hole.   Him blocking a LB is/was a  mismatch all day,  he gets leverage and maintains contact through the entire play.   Only once was a Defender able to elude him, a CB on an off tackle play.

2).  Brandon Thompson has some serious quicks off the ball to go with his size and strength.   When Geno  returns next year, teams will have to pick the poison to double team.

3).  As I and others have mentioned before, I admire his DB demeanor, ie, the short memory for a subpar play.   He may throw a WTF and look piss poor for a stretch, but I never get the feeling that is how the whole game is going to go.  With CP, if he was off, he stayed that way all day.  See Jets playoff game.

Back on topic:

1).  Eifert is one damn good blocker,  On BJGE's TD, he blocked 300 lb DE Kendall Reyes out of the play into the ground.  The initial contact was  double team with Alex Smith, but Eifert finished him off single handed thereafter.   On the clinching First down carry he obliterated the LB Jonas Mouton and BJGE went right through his gaping hole.   Him blocking a LB is/was a  mismatch all day,  he gets leverage and maintains contact through the entire play.   Only once was a Defender able to elude him, a CB on an off tackle play.

2).  Brandon Thompson has some serious quicks off the ball to go with his size and strength.   When Geno  returns next year, teams will have to pick the poison to double team.

3).  As I and others have mentioned before, I admire his DB demeanor, ie, the short memory for a subpar play.   He may throw a WTF and look piss poor for a stretch, but I never get the feeling that is how the whole game is going to go.  With CP, if he was off, he stayed that way all day.  See Jets playoff game.

Is Brandon Thompson the one who vaulted the SD O line entirely in either or both their FG and XP attempt.  I saw the guy jump over and land, didnt' get the number.

1).  Eifert is one damn good blocker,  On BJGE's TD, he blocked 300 lb DE Kendall Reyes out of the play into the ground.  The initial contact was  double team with Alex Smith, but Eifert finished him off single handed thereafter.  

What a great play. 3 TE's and Peko at FB. Two Bengal TE's execute the swinging gate at point of attack.Whitworth pulls and Gresham slips into the gap just created. Whitworth sweeps behing the gate and becomes the greatest lead blocker ever. And not to be forgotten, Peko hits a moving target on the edge and then simply envelopes the defender.  

Why can't it always look that easy?

Is Brandon Thompson the one who vaulted the SD O line entirely in either or both their FG and XP attempt.  I saw the guy jump over and land, didnt' get the number.

Yeah I did a double take too. I'm almost certain it was Thompson...

Archived