The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly - Chargers

The Good

Oline - Finally some damned good run blocking

Gio

Defense

Huber - he has a bum ankle? Because he was killing that ball

The Bad

Andy, was just hard to watch at times, he had some decent drives but man how you throw that pick and then the low ball to Jones on the slant....

Law Firm's fumble

The Ugly

No real ugly

I kinda think bad and ugly shouldn't exist after wins... Or at least only have one negative category instead of two.

The good: we won on the road, on the west coast. Whit looked good at guard. The running game is on fire!

Think one of the best things to come out of this game was the run game.  Whitworth to LG may have saved the game.  If they were to hypothetically move to LG, he wouldn't have to deal with speed rushers and it may save his knees some.  

Gio is a stud.  Burfict is such a tough SOB and just awesome.  Defense was collapsing the pocket on Rivers.  Our defense is awesome.  This Chargers team is a good offense and we stifled them.  Props to Zimmer, because I watched linebackers and Crocker blow Woodhead up at the line multiple times.

Andy was off and looked like a turd at the start.  If he could get rid of the extreme lows, this team will be very dangerous.  

Good

This is the kind of victory you want to have going into the playoffs.  On the road, against a team who is pretty much already in the playoffs.

Defense gave a little in yardage terms today, but was stout when they had to be.

Forced turnovers.

BJGE. Looks like a real RB when he's got holes to run through.

Gio. Though I would like to have seen even more throws to him.

Huber.

2nd Half Andy Dalton.  He played very well in the second half, the kind of spread and control the ball offense that this team can win championships with.  I was also encouraged to see him overcome his first half shit-fest.

Bad

BJGE fumble.  This game would have been 20-7, or 24-7 if he holds onto the ball there.  The key to this kind of grind them down ball-control offense is to just that at the end of the game - not let them climb back into it. 

Ugly

1st Half Andy Dalton. When Andy seems to have to "prove" himself, he seems to play worse.  That doesn't bode well for the post-season.

This site and all of the moaning when so much football is still to come.

running game finally started kicking in gear consistently.

Passing game didn't fix itself in the bye.  Dalton and Gruden need to get their act together.  Too many bad throws by Dalton in the first half, and the first half playcalling was still shaky.  No bootlegs at all in the game, in fact they didn't try to move the pocket at all.  Trying to run a flea flicker on 2nd and 1?  Come on.  1 slant? Only 4 targets to Gresham/Eifert, none of which were designed?

Then just stupid mistakes.  BJGE fumbling late.  Green running out of bounds when they're trying to bleed the clock.  

Beautiful:

Win on the west coast to keep a 2 game lead

Kevin Freaking Huber.

Good:

Running game for the most part.

Joystick

Bend but don't break defense.

Turnovers on demand.   :D

Bad:

The INT by Dalton.

The fumble by Bennie.

Ugly:

Some bad calls by the refs. Vinnie could have had a TD.

Everyone thinking we've popped some kind of seal in the running game needs to take a deep breath and realize that the Chargers Defense is truly awful.  Don't want to piss on the parade, but let's see us do this against stronger Defenses in the next few weeks.

My biggest issue with the running game was that, with such gaping holes opening up, we didn't rely on it even more - especially in the first half. 

Just very pumped about the win. Road wins in this league are precious, and SD was riding high after beating the Chiefs a week ago.

Loved the running game coming to life, love Whitworth inside with Collins at T. Per twitter feed, sounds like Boling's injury may be serious, so hopefully the Bengals stick with this look going forward. 

The D is just so damn good. Jaw-dropping how solid they are across the board right now. Add in a Dre who seems to be "getting it", and its hard to stop giggling. 

I just wish I could figure Andy out. How he can run from so cold to so hot quarter to quarter, drive to drive, it's just weird. I think it is mental at this point, and have no idea how they fix it. Hope the good Andy surfaces going foward...

Archived