Dalton is the man?

This is his last year on his contract. Do you guys think the Bengals will extend him? Should we draft another QB? I bet you they will this year in the second round if the right guy is still on board. Give him a year to groom under Dalton's last year. 

I doubt he was getting extended this offseason whether they had won Sunday or not.  

This is his last year on his contract. Do you guys think the Bengals will extend him? Should we draft another QB? I bet you they will this year in the second round if the right guy is still on board. Give him a year to groom under Dalton's last year. 

Wouldn't be surprised to see an extension before the season starts man. Would hope we just let him do his thing and see where he ends up at the end of the year. If he pulls a Flacco and does work next season and into the postseason, then you have to pay him. You GLADLY pay him. I think you take those chances, though. Odds are he isn't going to pull a fucking Flacco.

What FUCKED this all up is the fucking Chicago Bears. They dumped a truck full of cash on Cutlers who's a piece of shit injury prone QB.

Dalton's agent has to see money signs everywhere. His client took the team to 3 straight playoffs. Look, If Dalton can clean up his act and

not turn the ball over the fucking guy can play. I trashed him for so long but I see the potential. You don't need to have a cannon for an arm

to throw passes. I truly thought we had this game bagged against the Chargers. Not so much last year, thought we would lose that but not this

one. 

What FUCKED this all up is the fucking Chicago Bears. They dumped a truck full of cash on Cutlers who's a piece of shit injury prone QB.

Dalton's agent has to see money signs everywhere. His client took the team to 3 straight playoffs. Look, If Dalton can clean up his act and

not turn the ball over the fucking guy can play. I trashed him for so long but I see the potential. You don't need to have a cannon for an arm

to throw passes. I truly thought we had this game bagged against the Chargers. Not so much last year, thought we would lose that but not this

one. 

Thats the problem. Dalton seems to think he has a canon for a arm

Andy Dalton locked in as Cincinnati Bengals' QB

By Chris Wesseling

Cincinnati Bengals owner Mike Brown recently acknowledged that he preferred Colin Kaepernick to Andy Dalton in the 2011 NFL Draft.

Kaepernick's 87.9 to 17.5 postseason Total QBR advantage over Dalton only magnifies the talent disparity between the two quarterbacks.

In a Tuesday interview with Lance McAlister of WLW-AM Cincinnati, offensive coordinator Jay Gruden defended the Bengals' decision to draft Dalton over Kaepernick with Carson Palmer's Cincinnati future in doubt.

"We didn't just need a quarterback to come in and compete or be a backup for a couple years and develop on the sidelines," Gruden explained. "We needed one to come in and start right away."

Although Brown was higher on Kaepernick's physical gifts, he ended up deferring to Gruden ostensibly because the Nevada quarterback was viewed as a developmental project.

"It was my feeling and a lot of other people's feeling in the building that Andy was the most mentally ready to come in and start Day 1," Gruden said. "... Colin had the great physical make-up, but there were questions about his quarterback accuracy, as a passer is concerned. I also wasn't really into the read option stuff and it wasn't really that popular at the time."

The Bengals reaped the rewards of that logic when the "NFL-ready" Dalton exceeded expectations as a rookie. Three years later, the very same logic has the organization languishing in quarterback purgatory while the 49ers enjoy a uniquely talented player blossoming into the face of the franchise.

Cincinnati fans will have to live and die with Dalton, as coach Marvin Lewis made it clear Monday that there will be no major changes at quarterback in 2014.

"He's won big games for us and he'll continue to win big games. We ask a lot out of him, there's no doubt about it," Lewis said, via the team's official website. "He just finished his third season of doing it. I believe in his abilities, I believe in his makeup, I believe in his maturity. ... He had another very good season. He’s progressed well. We need to continue to do things to make his job just easier and easier to do."

After three seasons, Dalton is the prime meridian of NFL quarterbacks. Any quarterback above Dalton is a viable franchise player. Any quarterback below Dalton is a problem, not a solution.

We believe it's a fair assessment of Dalton's value. Gruden believes it's an unfair criticism of an improving player.

"Who do they want?" Gruden asked. "Aaron Rodgers isn't coming here in a trade. People need to appreciate what (Dalton) has done and will do."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000310428/article/andy-dalton-locked-in-as-cincinnati-bengals-quarterback?campaign=Twitter_atl

Here's the difference between drafting a quarterback in 2014.  The Bengals don't have to have a guy that can come in and start Day 1.  In '11, they had to "play it safe".  The alternative was who?  Bruce Gradkowski?  A quarterback taken now can sit and watch for a year or two and be brought along slowly.  Last year, I was in the minority that thought the Bengals should take a quarterback in the first three rounds.  They didn't, but ABSOLUTELY should this year.  I like Tajh Boyd, but I think Russell Wilson's success is moving Boyd up the board.  

I'd target Zach Mettenberger.  He'd be coming into a great situation and got finish his rehab while he learns the system.  It would probably take the Bengals second round pick to get him, but he's got prototypical size, a strong arm, and has taken good care of the football.  

Another guy that really intrigues me is James Franklin from Mizzou. 

The Chargers hardly qualify as a good team.  And the Charger defense was criticized for not being able to produce any turnovers.  Yet, there was Dalton serving up turnovers on a silver platter for them.  If anything, the Chargers were far and away the worst playoff team...well, besides a Dalton led Bengals team.  This Chargers team struggled and needed a bad call to get past the KC reserves.  And in 2011, the Texans had a rookie 3rd string QB starting who had better numbers than Dalton.  Yet, somehow, that QB isn't even in the discussion as an option for a 2 win team.  Yet, Dalton is the Bengals franchise QB?  Don't even think of excusing Dalton's play with "those were tough teams".  Is that you, Marvin?

Even given his advanced age, is there a single Bengals fan that wouldn't trade Dalton for Peyton Manning right now?

Cant argue against this man

He should be the Bengals' QB going forward. We don't need to start the QB thing all over. Sunday's loss was not his fault. Where was Burfict and the run defense? Where was AJ? Where was the pass rush? It looked to me like Dalton may have been pressing because the rest of the team wasn't getting the job done. Maybe injuries finally caught up with this team.

My dream deal: Nick Foles and a 4th to the Bengals, Andy Dalton, #22, and #24 to the Raiders, Johnny Manziel’s draft rights at #5 to Philly.

Eagles sell high on Foles & get ideal Chip QB, Bengals get big-numbers QB who might be system passer, Raiders get a look at Dalton + picks.

My dream deal: Nick Foles and a 4th to the Bengals, Andy Dalton, #22, and #24 to the Raiders, Johnny Manziel’s draft rights at #5 to Philly.

Eagles sell high on Foles & get ideal Chip QB, Bengals get big-numbers QB who might be system passer, Raiders get a look at Dalton + picks.

Dalton and a 1st round pick for Foles and a 4th rounder? Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck no. 

Sounds good to me, but what are the chances of this happening? We need to draft a QB in Round 2 or 3 if somrthing like this does not happen. I have seen enough of Andy Dalton. We also need to find a way to keep Zimmer,

Perfect.

A.J. McCarron is a great candidate to come in and backup. Yes, if Dalton were to 'stink it up' maybe McCarron could become the guy. Understand, though, that if Dalton's trend of improvement continues, he'll throw for around 4600 yards next year with 39 touchdowns.

Of course, his numbers project about 24 picks, too. Lol

How about his playoff projections?  How does his 4th year project there?   That would be interesting to see and I wonder why you left it out of your post.  

Some of you guys act like no qbs ever improve, or get better in big games after their first 3 seasons.

Manning sucked dick in the playoffs till his 5th year.

Does that mean dalton is manning? No. Does that mean we shouldnt consider a replacement if a good opportunity comes up? No.

But to say like it is certain that dalton will never win in the playoffs is kind of silly. Fans have said that in the past about both mannings, flacco, etc though. All guys that ended up winning a super bowl. 

All these comparisons you guys like to make.....they're ALL invalid.  Did Manning have the same personnel this team has?  No, he didnt.  What about defense....how do the Bengals compare to the Colts in Peyton's first 3 yrs.  Way too many variables to say shit like "Manning didn't win until year xxxx"   These comparisons just need to stop.  They have no validity. 

Brian Billick ....

I wouldn't have given Jay Cutler the $100 million contract, so I surely wouldn't give it to Andy Dalton. The Bengals don't have to make that decision for another season, but they may want to start planning for the future starting right now. Just compare him to Andrew Luck. Player to player, that isn't a fair comparison, but who has the better defense? Dalton. The better wide receivers? Dalton. The better offensive line? Dalton. The better running backs? Dalton. Yet, Luck has a postseason win in just two tries while Dalton is 0-3.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/billick-don-t-look-now-but-the-broncos-have-a-roadblock-ahead-010614

Bu bu but Andre Luck is overrated!!!!!!!!!!!!1  Remember all those stats people posted comparing Dalton to Luck...their stats and how Daltons were better than Luck's.....who's supposed to be awesome?  Where are these same people now?   Where are these stats now?   I got one stat.....0-3 vs 1-1. 

I'd rather have Alex Smith than Kaep.

This is what you call going full on retard.    And explains a few things as well....

I have refrained from commenting much. Just been posting twitters posts and articles. 

I am still in shock at the embarrassing display I wistnessed this past Sunday. 

And to be honest. I can not lay all of this at the feet of Dalton. 

I am not as down on Dalton. I think most of those that are now, were already down on him.

He has been a lightning rod since he came here. I mean the dude has done things no other

Bengals QB has done. Yet, people still bash on him, relentlessly. 

I swear I can not give enough negative rep to some of you. But I have learned to 

just treat those people like background noise. 

I will say this, he had a great first Half. And a horrible second Half. But I can say that

about just about everyone that was standing on the Bengals sidleline and on the field 

that day. 

Yes Dalton could have played better. But so could the entire team. No forced turnovers.

One sack and that was by Chris Crocker. No pressure. No tipped passes. Chargers running

the ball down their throats. I think Zimmer has had some horrible performances by his Defense

in just about every Playoff game we have been in. Yet, no one is ever down on him. A top 

3 Defense at home, should have shut those fuckers down. Period. The Chargers put more

points on the baord before Dalton ever threw a pick or fumbled, than they did the entire game

in San Diego. 

Gruden did a shitty job. I remember I made a thread calling Whit the LG from God after their 

first meeting. The Bengals were running the ball well this past game. But we threw it almost

twice as much as we ran it. AJ Green should be targeted more. Period. The O-Line was horrible

the 2nd Half. I was like I don't know what was said, or what "adjustments were made, but they 

obviously did not work. AJ Green just acts like he doesn't care sometimes. Looks uninterested

and lazy. 

I could go on and on about EVERYONE on this team pretty much shitting the bed.

Yeah, a few guys came to play. But everyone should have came to play. 

It was one of the most disappointing performances I can recall. Just no heart. 

No passion. No fire. 

The way I see it, most of the blame lies at Marvin Lewis' feet. He is the HC.

It all starts with him. He sets the tone. He meets with his Coaches at Halftime.

The game looked all too familiar to me. The difference this time though, 

is that I expected them to dominate. I expected them to send a message.

To use the Ravens game as a springboard. Instead they shit the bed. 

Again. 

I hate losing. I am not a fan of just making the Playoffs. I want more.

But I will support Marvin and Andy for one more season. If I don't see 

at least one Playoff win. The gloves are off. I will make Who Dey 

Revolution look like a Bengals fanclub. Believe that. 

I have refrained from commenting much. Just been posting twitters posts and articles. 

I am still in shock at the embarrassing display I wistnessed this past Sunday. 

And to be honest. I can not lay all of this at the feet of Dalton. 

I am not as down on Dalton. I think most of those that are now, were already down on him.

He has been a lightning rod since he came here. I mean the dude has done things no other

Bengals QB has done. Yet, people still bash on him, relentlessly. 

I swear I can not give enough negative rep to some of you. But I have learned to 

just treat those people like background noise. 

I will say this, he had a great first Half. And a horrible second Half. But I can say that

about just about everyone that was standing on the Bengals sidleline and on the field 

that day. 

Yes Dalton could have played better. But so could the entire team. No forced turnovers.

One sack and that was by Chris Crocker. No pressure. No tipped passes. Chargers running

the ball down their throats. I think Zimmer has had some horrible performances by his Defense

in just about every Playoff game we have been in. Yet, no one is ever down on him. A top 

3 Defense at home, should have shut those fuckers down. Period. The Chargers put more

points on the baord before Dalton ever threw a pick or fumbled, than they did the entire game

in San Diego. 

Gruden did a shitty job. I remember I made a thread calling Whit the LG from God after their 

first meeting. The Bengals were running the ball well this past game. But we threw it almost

twice as much as we ran it. AJ Green should be targeted more. Period. The O-Line was horrible

the 2nd Half. I was like I don't know what was said, or what "adjustments were made, but they 

obviously did not work. AJ Green just acts like he doesn't care sometimes. Looks uninterested

and lazy. 

I could go on and on about EVERYONE on this team pretty much shitting the bed.

Yeah, a few guys came to play. But everyone should have came to play. 

It was one of the most disappointing performances I can recall. Just no heart. 

No passion. No fire. 

The way I see it, most of the blame lies at Marvin Lewis' feet. He is the HC.

It all starts with him. He sets the tone. He meets with his Coaches at Halftime.

The game looked all too familiar to me. The difference this time though, 

is that I expected them to dominate. I expected them to send a message.

To use the Ravens game as a springboard. Instead they shit the bed. 

Again. 

I hate losing. I am not a fan of just making the Playoffs. I want more.

But I will support Marvin and Andy for one more season. If I don't see 

at least one Playoff win. The gloves are off. I will make Who Dey 

Revolution look like a Bengals fanclub. Believe that. 

fantastic post Old,..you make some good points..but don't you think Marvin has had enough time already? And how will you feel if we lose Zim.I have been a fan for 42 years and was in shock on Sunday. We are better than SD period but we were not this past Sunday sadly

Great post Old and people should really examine our Defensive Playoff performances.  We all love Zim, but when its put up or shut up we don't get to the QB, we don't force turnovers and we can't compensate if the opponents find a hole to exploit.

IIRC we have 1 sack in our last two playoff games, by a safety no less.  Where is Zim's hate? 

fantastic post Old,..you make some good points..but don't you think Marvin has had enough time already? And how will you feel if we lose Zim.I have been a fan for 42 years and was in shock on Sunday. We are better than SD period but we were not this past Sunday sadly

Under the current organizational paradigm, Marvin has had 3 years.  He was limited his fist 8 years here.

I was one of the first who wanted Marvin gone back before it was popular.  But under the changes that have happened after the 2010 season I am willing to at LEAST let him finish out his current contract.

I also fear what we may wind up with if Mike chooses another head coach.

Archived