Dalton is the man?

The "Around The League Podcast" has created aquarterback scale in which Andy Dalton sits in purgatory. Any player before Dalton is a legitimate franchise quarterback. Any player "After Dalton" is not the answer.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000311653/article/sam-bradford-locked-in-as-rams-qb-les-snead-says

For what it is worth I think this is accurate and I wonder if our guy ever gets there.

"As I've written a million times, for me, the NFL quarterback position is 25 percent talent and 75 percent attitude/charisma/personality/intelligence/confidence. You have to be the coolest guy on your team, basically. You have to own the room. You have to be a leader of men."

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/10273137/nfl-lessons-learned

For what it is worth I think this is accurate and I wonder if our guy gets ever gets there.

"As I've written a million times, for me, the NFL quarterback position is 25 percent talent and 75 percent attitude/charisma/personality/intelligence/confidence. You have to be the coolest guy on your team, basically. You have to own the room. You have to be a leader of men."

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/10273137/nfl-lessons-learned

Andy Dalton has never, ever been the coolest guy in the room.  Nor will he be.   And leader of men.........hahhahahah......Andy "Deflect All Blame" Dalton a leader of men....hahha. 

So yeah....things are looking up.   

In 1981, Kenny Anderson threw 3 interceptions in the first half in a game against the Seattle Seahawks.  Do you think head coach Forest Gregg told him that's OK, Kenny, you're still our guy?

Hell no, he BENCHED his ass and let the backup QB play the entire second half.

Guess what--that benching lit a fire under Anderson's ass and he responded by winning the MVP and taking us all the way to the Superbowl.

There is no way Marvin would ever do that--he's too soft.  But I have NO DOUBT that if Zimmer were named head coach he would bench Andy's ass if/when he continues to fuck up.

Kenny Anderson's young son was critically ill that weekend.  Hardly the same situation.

I've been as hard as on Dalton as anyone (probably harder), but I'm starting to slowly come around.  Not because I'm gonna drink the Ginger Kool-aid (still have plenty of doubts) - my reason is Hue Jackson.  The more I read, the more I believe that Hue may just be good enough to overcome the flaws.  Gonna have to make some changes along the OL if they're gonna be a dominant run unit.  I also would like to see Hue install a shock collar with remote and administer a "slight correction" every time AD forgets what color uniform he's throwing to, but the NFLPA might have something to say about that.

When To Punt On Your Quarterback

This clip was from January 7, but I haven't seen the link posted anywhere. 

Bill Polian, Herm Edwards and Teddy Bruschi discuss the process of deciding whether a team should keep its quarterback or get rid of him.

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=10258661

Bill Polian, Herm Edwards and Teddy Bruschi discuss the process of deciding whether a team should keep its quarterback or get rid of him.

entirely fair

very accurate discussion.  Not one many will like to ultimately hear, but its accurate.  The key to that conversation is this, "defense and running game will get you there, its up to the quarterback once you are there to make a play."  He is still young, but window to make that play is slighly less open than it was prior to this season.  He will continue to placed under the microscope from here on out.  I am kind of anxious to see what he does in Hue's system.  I think we will know whether or not he is the guy by the end of next season.

The chance of this team drafting in the top 5 in the foreseeable future is almost non-existent. So, unless they luck into a Russell Wilson in the middle rounds, Dalton is going to be 'the guy'. The other thing is, that for all of his postseason failings, Dalton's improvement over the last two offseasons has been dramatic. There's no reason to think it won't continue. For Christ's sake, his downfall has been interceptions, and that's probably the easiest thing to cure.

I gotta agree with this.  Andy has shown alot of improvement over his NFL career.  Even though I'm dissappointed in the playoff losses, the team including Andy have shown signs of greatness and I don't see any reason they can't improve even more.  That being said, I want to see a Super Bowl win come our way dammit!

I gotta agree with this.  Andy has shown alot of improvement over his NFL career.  Even though I'm dissappointed in the playoff losses, the team including Andy have shown signs of greatness and I don't see any reason they can't improve even more.  That being said, I want to see a Super Bowl win come our way dammit!

And per Hue Jackson a lot of those interceptions were due to a miscommunication between the QB and WR due to the giant confusion created by Gruden.

And per Hue Jackson a lot of those interceptions were due to a miscommunication between the QB and WR due to the giant confusion created by Gruden.

Not sure if you're being serious but it really did seem like a good number of interceptions were some sort of miscommunication.

Agreed. However, he's still a Hall of Famer and is arguably one of the Top 5 QB's of all-time.

148-43 in the regular season.  Made the playoffs 11 of 12 years he was the starter for a large part of the season.  NFL MVP twice.  Super Bowl MVP twice.   3 Rings and 5 appearances.  1 Wes Welker drop away from a 4th ring.   9 time Pro Bowler.  2 time All-Pro.  95.7 lifetime passer rating.  Yeah, he is pretty good.

Brady hasn't won a ring since the Pats were a great defensive team and he was a "game manager".

Most teams haven't won a ring since then either. Statistically, it's fucking hard to win a Super Bowl. Great players and great teams fail every year.

Most teams haven't won a ring since then either. Statistically, it's fucking hard to win a Super Bowl. Great players and great teams fail every year.

And people forget that he had the 2011 Super Bowl won and Wes Welker simply dropped a pass that would have put them close to the endzone with 4 minutes remaining and NY with only 1 timeout left.   Worst case without a turnover, they run 3 times, kick a field goal and NY has about a 1:45 left when receiving the kickoff needing a TD.

In reality, Brady is the complete QB.  Able to manage a game, plays great in the postseason,  plays great in the regular season and has the best coaching staff and ownership in the league.   All the cheating stuff is what it is but they didn't Reggie Bush the organization and ask for their rings back.

I will agree with you that Brady is good but I don't want to hear about the 4th SB garbage if not for a dropped pass by Welker. How many times did NE get a call or a break when they won their 3 rings. and they were caught cheating big time. They have not won a thing since spygate and also have not won a thing since they let go of Vinatieri the best clutch kicker ever  and without the tuck rule call vs the raiders they never get to their first Super Bowl They have certainly had plenty go their way...Plenty

I will agree with you that Brady is good but I don't want to hear about the 4th SB garbage if not for a dropped pass by Welker. How many times did NE get a call or a break when they won their 3 rings. and they were caught cheating big time. They have not won a thing since spygate and also have not won a thing since they let go of Vinatieri the best clutch kicker ever  and without the tuck rule call vs the raiders they never get to their first Super Bowl They have certainly had plenty go their way...Plenty

Haven't won a thing since Spygate???!!! Seriously?

Since spygate (2007) here is what they have done:

72-24 in the regular season.  We were 46-49-1

Won 1 AFC Championship.  We have zero

Have won 4 playoff games.  We have zero  (0-4)

God I wish we had sucked as bad as the Patriots the last 6 years.

BTW, the call against the Raiders was the right call based on the rules at that time.  Here was the rule at the time which no longer exists.

NFL Rule 3, Section 22, Article 2, Note 2. When a Team A player is holding the ball to pass it forward, any intentional forward movement of his hand starts a forward pass, even if the player loses possession of the ball as he is attempting to tuck it back toward his body. Also, if the player has tucked the ball into his body and then loses possession, it is a fumble.

It might just be me, but I don't see SBs as the only indicator of success. Obviously, it's the ultimate goal but not winning a SB doesn't make it a bad season. Like them or not, but the Patriots and Brady are extremely successful.

Doc: Let's give Sam Wyche a call
Written by Paul Daugherty
Jan. 13, 2014 

The story quoted him saying, “1-800-CALL-SAM,” so I did. Sam Wyche would rather hear from an NFL
owner than from me. He talked anyway.
Sort of. Wyche had a vocal cord severed during an operation more than a decade ago. His voice sounds
like 5 in the morning, at 7 at night. Think Tom Waits. “I would go back in a heartbeat,” Wyche says. He’s
talking about coaching in the NFL, something he hasn’t done since he was the quarterbacks coach in
Buffalo, in 2005.
“I’m out of the inner circle, I’m afraid,” said Wyche, 69. “People think I’m a sick old man, waiting for the
buffet line to open up. I’m fixin’ to chop some wood in a moment.”
He lives in Pickens, S.C., a lovely spot in the foothills of the Blue Ridge, on 28 acres. He has horses in his
fields and time on his hands. The story, on the Grantland web site, talked about the forgotten genius of the
1988 Bengals and, by definition, the underappreciated contributions of their ahead-of-his-time head
coach.Note to anyone under 40: The no-huddle offense didn’t originate with Russell Wilson. Tom Brady
didn’t invent it on a cocktail napkin. Wyche thought it up in 1984, as an assistant in San Francisco under
Bill Walsh. The ’88 Bengals used it nearly every play.When they played Seattle in the first round of the
playoffs, the Seahawks tried to stop it by having their players fake injuries. Those AFC champion Bengals
also featured Dick LeBeau’s zone blitz. No, it didn’t start in Pittsburgh. But the master of the innovation
circus was always Samuel David Wyche.This is a long way of saying that last week, after Jay Gruden took
the Washington job, my first thought was to call Wyche. By the time I did, Hue Jackson was three days on
the job. Still, a man can dream. Wyche as offensive coordinator, or even as a consultant, would be
interesting. It might even work.“Andy Dalton is a Drew Brees kind of quarterback,” Wyche said “He has the
two qualities every quarterback has to have. He’s accurate when he has time, and he’s smart.”Wyche has
noted Dalton’s shortcomings, too. “I would make clutch situations ordinary for him. Those types of
situations, we’d practice over and over, until they were routine.’’Wyche doesn’t understand why most
coaches don’t practice game-deciding situations until late in the week. “Two-minute drills, red zone,
goal-line’ situations. These are game changers. This is one thing they’re missing the boat on.”He watches
games, and he sees four receivers in the pattern, all cutting at the same moment. “That only gives the
quarterback one shot,” Wyche said. He suggested each receiver break at different times. “The last guy
comes open late. He’s the save-a-sack guy.”Wyche talked about the body language of defensive backs,
just before the snap, and how reading that language can separate the extraordinary receivers and QBs
from the ordinary. “If you’re a smart receiver or quarterback, the defense will always tell you, before the
snap, what it’s going to do,’’ said Wyche. “Read the body language, read the defense.“That’s why Peyton
Manning is successful. Andrew Luck is in that mold. If I were coaching, there would be one more.”Wyche
as Bengals consultant likely wouldn’t work. Blurred lines of authority are not a good thing in football,
especially when the man in charge of the offense is new. Jackson created a very good offense from a very
bad team in Oakland. He’s a forceful guy, with a charismatic edge. He doesn’t lack for experience.But
Jackson wants to re-emphasize the run. Bad idea, in a pass-happy league where all the rules favor QBs
and wideouts. It could be to protect Dalton. It could be that Jackson really believes that running is
essential to winning the AFC North. It’s not. Running well enough to set up the pass is important.An
Page 2of 2 Jan 14, 2014 12:15:32PM MST
infusion of Wyche-ian genius might be a help. Innovators don’t lose their touch, with the passage of time.
Fertile ground rarely goes dry.I wondered if the thought had occurred to Mike Brown, who has long since
reconciled with the man with whom he parted ways on Christmas Eve, 1991. I guessed it’d be too far out
of Brown’s winged-tips wearing, sensible, mid-sized, American-made sedan-driving wheelhouse.From
Dave Shula to Bruce Coslet to Dick LeBeau to Hue Jackson, the Family Way generally has been to
promote from within. It’s safe, it can motivate current staff members. It can be a good strategy, though
neither Gruden nor Mike Zimmer were insiders.Before I could dial the owner’s office, Jackson got the
job.Sam Wyche would like the NFL to know he’s available, and he’s not infirm. His mind, never an idle
place, regardless of the topic, is open for business. Maybe it wouldn’t work with the Bengals.But, you
know, maybe it would. When it comes to Building the Better Andy, how could adding another bright mind
possibly hurt?

Archived