Bengals Free Agent Tracker

Damn how do they do it. The Broncos are all in. The Bengals are saving cap space for 2017 when Gio Bernard becomes a free agent. Fml

I don't know how they do it either. It begs to question why there are other teams constantly being able to sign FAs under the salary cap rules, while we are constantly looking at cheaper Tier2s. I understand building for the draft, but sometimes there is that free agent that can put you over the top. For sure, Denver is doing everything they can, even if it is only by perception, to put them over the top with a good core team in place already. I wish sometimes that we would be more aggressive in building a winner, and not always take the wait and react stance. A good leader does both, be aggressive when needed, and sit back as well when the situation requires it. RIght now, we seem to always do the latter, and that is bit bothersome to me.

I don't know how they do it either. It begs to question why there are other teams constantly being able to sign FAs under the salary cap rules, while we are constantly looking at cheaper Tier2s. I understand building for the draft, but sometimes there is that free agent that can put you over the top. For sure, Denver is doing everything they can, even if it is only by perception, to put them over the top with a good core team in place already. I wish sometimes that we would be more aggressive in building a winner, and not always take the wait and react stance. A good leader does both, be aggressive when needed, and sit back as well when the situation requires it. RIght now, we seem to always do the latter, and that is bit bothersome to me.

Denver is mortgaging the farm right now because they only have 2-3 years more of Peyton Manning. What they're doing makes sense for their team.

What is Tampa doing then? 

Tampa is spending big because they've consistently sucked at drafting.

The teams that spend big in free agency, are the ones who suck in the draft.  With the rare exception like Denver where they're going for broke before their window closes.

Of the top of my head (and maybe that's just due to being distratcted at work) I can't think of a case where a free agent signing put any team "over the top" other than the outlier of Peyton Manning to the Broncos.  It sounds good in theory, but history seems to say otherwise.

Tampa is spending big because they've consistently sucked at drafting.

good point. They have been down for quite awhile and keep winning the offseason along with the bills dallas redskins and jets. So im happy with the Bengals approach. We are finnaly fielding a consistant winner
The teams that spend big in free agency, are the ones who suck in the draft.  With the rare exception like Denver where they're going for broke before their window closes.

Of the top of my head (and maybe that's just due to being distratcted at work) I can't think of a case where a free agent signing put any team "over the top" other than the outlier of Peyton Manning to the Broncos.  It sounds good in theory, but history seems to say otherwise.

Brees to the New Orleans Saints too.

We can match anything on Burfict though in that scenario. 

...or they can sign him long before that while they've got all he leverage. Anyone that thinks letting good players play out their contract before extending/re-signing them hasn't been paying attention.

...or they can sign him long before that while they've got all he leverage. Anyone that thinks letting good players play out their contract before extending/re-signing them hasn't been paying attention.

Anyone who thinks you have to re-sign Burfict early despite his pending Restricted status hasn't been paying attention. 

Anyone who thinks you have to re-sign Burfict early despite his pending Restricted status hasn't been paying attention. 

Hey Michael,

Have you wondered yet why it is that the team is doing virtually exactly the opposite of most of what you've advocated (MJ, Hawk, Rey, Burfict, AJ, Dalton...). Take Burfict, for example. They WILL be resigning him this season (as they have widely publicized their intent).  Why do you think they are doing that?  If they didn't think it was the right approach, and one that was in their overall best interest, why?

The fact is, as much as you like to whine, your dissatisfaction clearly arises from having a world view that differs from what teams (the good ones, at least) actually do. If Burfict would be fine taking less money over the next two years, and then happily resign another deal ---> that would still result in less money over the long-term than the max deal he could take at that point (because that's what the FO is comparing a resign now against) --- why wouldn't they do that?

Because they are looking at either 1) having to pay him much more down the road or 2) losing an all-pro player that they built from scratch just as he hits his prime.

You're so stuck on your short term wishes that you've become blind from long-term realities. 

Pete Damilatis @PFF_Pete 18m

In 562 pass block snaps since 2010, Anthony Collins hasn't allowed a single sack. #Bengals #Bucs #Panthers

Cincy Jungle @CincyJungle 3m

@PFF_Pete Might go all the way back to week four in 2009 when he last allowed a sack.

That's pretty impressive, although this was obviously in part-time roles.....

Hey Michael,

Have you wondered yet why it is that the team is doing virtually exactly the opposite of most of what you've advocated (MJ, Hawk, Rey, Burfict, AJ, Dalton...). Take Burfict, for example. They WILL be resigning him this season (as they have widely publicized their intent).  Why do you think they are doing that?  If they didn't think it was the right approach, and one that was in their overall best interest, why?

The fact is, as much as you like to whine, your dissatisfaction clearly arises from having a world view that differs from what teams (the good ones, at least) actually do. If Burfict would be fine taking less money over the next two years, and then happily resign another deal ---> that would still result in less money over the long-term than the max deal he could take at that point (because that's what the FO is comparing a resign now against) --- why wouldn't they do that?

Because they are looking at either 1) having to pay him much more down the road or 2) losing an all-pro player that they built from scratch just as he hits his prime.

You're so stuck on your short term wishes that you've become blind from long-term realities. 

Hey Alleycat,

I appreciate your civility. The team is not infallible. They can and will make mistakes. The reason that they wouldn't re-sign him now, or rather shouldn't is simply that it costs them other players at a time when they are contenders. They also wouldn't do it because while Burfict has been everything you want from a player he is just a few years away from having been not drafted because of extremely questionable decision making. I think he should get a long term deal for sure. I really like him. I just don't know why there is this rush to do it. We can match anything next year. He doesn't seem like a guy who takes for granted Marvin Lewis going out of his way to give him a chance lightly. 

Can you give me a similar situation to Burficts where teams have re-signed a guy that early when they didn't need to? After his second year?

From Dehner:

On the third day they waited.

With offers in the air over Andrew Hawkins and Anthony Collins, we are left to wait and see what will happen with two of the biggest names on the Bengals offseason plucking list. Hawkins, I wrote about yesterday and you can weigh many of the pros and cons as we wait for that situation to unfold.

The interesting development surrounds Anthony Collins. It seemed money would end up being the difference between Collins leaving Cincinnati or staying. If teams were truly plopping money approaching $7 million on the table, that seems a stretch number for the Bengals.

Collins traveled to Tampa Bay yesterday and was in the house as Michael Johnson and three other free agent signees were introduced to the media.

As the day ended, no deal was struck. The longer it drags out, the better the Bengals chances seem to get.

Yet, as world from Greg Auman of the Tampa Bay Times floated out yesterday, it seems the Bengals, Panthers and Buccaneers all have offers on the table. That wasn't the interesting part.

Hearing that the money is comparable rates as the most optimistic sign yet that Collins could return to Cincinnati. Collins seems to have always enjoyed Cincinnati, claimed at the end of the season he'd like to return and if he did at this money he would be locked in at starting left tackle next to Andrew Whitworth slipping down to guard.

I have always assumed Collins would follow whoever gave him an offer he couldn't refuse. Seems the market as settled back a touch. If money is almost equal, I'd say the Bengals have a chance. And I haven't had much hope for AC returning all along.

Collins could be looking to return to warmer weather, he grew up outside of Houston on the Gulf of Mexico in Beaumont, Texas. Anybody whose spoken with AC before knows attempting to determine what he's thinking is a challenge. He's not afraid to do what he wants and say what he wants.

From what I'm hearing, the thought is Collins will decide today.

So, we wait.

Hey Alleycat,

I appreciate your civility. The team is not infallible. They can and will make mistakes. The reason that they wouldn't re-sign him now, or rather shouldn't is simply that it costs them other players at a time when they are contenders. They also wouldn't do it because while Burfict has been everything you want from a player he is just a few years away from having been not drafted because of extremely questionable decision making. I think he should get a long term deal for sure. I really like him. I just don't know why there is this rush to do it. We can match anything next year. He doesn't seem like a guy who takes for granted Marvin Lewis going out of his way to give him a chance lightly. 

Can you give me a similar situation to Burficts where teams have re-signed a guy that early when they didn't need to? After his second year?

He has performed at an All-Pro level for two years now. If he's allowed to become an RFA, even with the highest tender, another team will happily A) grossly overpay him and B) sacrifice the first-round pick to take him away from the Bengals. The other team has an incentive to give him as much money as possible, to make it less likely that the Bengals will match. Signing him now locks him in at a lower rate, which is the whole point. Why would the Bengals want to let another team dictate what they are going to be paying their best player, especially when it's guaranteed to be an absurd amount of money?

Adam Schefter @AdamSchefter 39s

Buccaneers reached agreement with former Bengals OT Anthony Collins. Could mean the end of Donald Penn in Tampa.

Paul Dehner Jr. @pauldehnerjr 32s

And we have our answer on Anthony Collins.Tampa's @NFLSTROUD reports he's chosen Tampa.

Well, poop.

He has performed at an All-Pro level for two years now. If he's allowed to become an RFA, even with the highest tender, another team will happily A) grossly overpay him and B) sacrifice the first-round pick to take him away from the Bengals. The other team has an incentive to give him as much money as possible, to make it less likely that the Bengals will match. Signing him now locks him in at a lower rate, which is the whole point. Why would the Bengals want to let another team dictate what they are going to be paying their best player, especially when it's guaranteed to be an absurd amount of money?

Thats hyperbole. He was good in 2012 but not an all pro. Last year he was very good. 

Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter 39s

Buccaneers reached agreement with former Bengals OT Anthony Collins. Could mean the end of Donald Penn in Tampa.

Paul Dehner Jr. ‏@pauldehnerjr 32s

And we have our answer on Anthony Collins.Tampa's @NFLSTROUD reports he's chosen Tampa.

Well, poop.

Lame, Donald Penn anyone?

Thats hyperbole. He was good in 2012 but not an all pro. Last year he was very good. 

Lame, Donald Penn anyone?

He had 127 tackles in 2012 and was 2nd-team All-Pro in 2013. He's consensus one of the 3 best young linebackers in the league. Letting him get anywhere near FA is a mistake of epic proportions.

That stinks... but I'm not sure Collins had the track record to be worth our highest paid OL. 

Good luck to him and thanks for a 4th round conditional (hopefully 3rd).  Hopefully Hawkinson and TJ Johnson are ready for more reps, or a draft pick to take their reps....

Archived