Newhouse brings more flexibility to O-Line

NewhouseImage.jpg

Updated: 6:35 p.m.

By the tender age of 25, Marshall Newhouse has already played in four post-season games, lined up at three different spots for a 15-1 team, and started 31 games for three straight NFC North champions in Green Bay.

So while the conventional wisdom in the wake of his signing with the Bengals Friday is that he's replacing Anthony Collins (gone to Tampa in free agency last week) as the backup for tackles  Andrew Whitworth andAndre Smith, Newhouse says he's here to compete after talking with head coach Marvin Lewis and offensive line coach Paul Alexander.

"I'm coming in trying to win a spot," Newhouse said Friday from his hometown of Fort Worth, Texas. "If they want me to play a couple of different spots, I'll go where they want me. I can play a little inside (at guard), too. They're talking about the flexibility of the offensive line and I think I can help there."

Lewis was so vehement last week in saying that Whitworth is the left tackle, it is doubtful this move puts Whitworth back at left guard. With Whitworth, Smith and Newhouse, the Bengals now have three tackles and may pick up at least one more in the May 8-10 draft. Plus, backup left guard Tanner Hawkinson has some people in the building thinking he can play some left tackle, too, after an encouraging preseason there as a rookie last year.

Newhouse is in the mold of Collins, a fourth-round pick in 2008. Newhouse, a fifth-round pick of the Packers in 2010 after protecting Andy Dalton for three years at TCU, is an athletic pass protector. At his NFL scouting combine he tied for the best time among tackles in the three-cone drill. He can play both sides and has played two games at right guard.

In 2012 ProFootballFocus.com rated him 54th among all left tackles but jacked his grades to 31st in pass protection, the major strength of his game.

The 6-3, 326-pound Newhouse made 29 starts in 2011 and 2012 when the Packers went a combined 26-6, Newhouse was moved to right tackle for 2013 training camp and Don Barclay beat him out.

The Packers decided to put their best lineman at left tackle for that camp and when Bryan Bulaga was lost for the season when he blew out his knee in an intrasquad scrimmage, they put No. 1 pick David Bakhtiari at left tackle. Newhouse is no doubt looking to jump start his career with the Packers opting to go with Bulaga, Barclay, Bakhtiari, and Derek Sherrod.

Newhouse isn't sure what happened in Green Bay, but he's not going to us it as a chip on his shoulder.

"It's a good question. They came to me before training camp and said they wanted to put me at right tackle," Newhouse said. "It's a business. I know that even some of the greatest players don't finish with the teams that drafted them. I'm not looking at it like that (to prove a point). I want to keep improving as a player and helping the Bengals win games. There's nothing wrong with a fresh start."

Alexander likes his guys big and smart and he's certainly got that in Newhouse.  He reportedly ripped off 32 out of 50 in the Wonderlic at the combine.

"I don't know what it was," he said. "All I know is it was high enough to get me drafted."

They're also getting a guy with NFL in his DNA. He has two cousins that played, most famously Robert Newhouse, the Dallas Cowboys' fifth-leading rusher in a career from 1972-83, as well as Reggie Newhouse in a brief run with the Cardinals for two years in Arizona a decade ago. Not only that, his father, John, played for Cotton Bowl teams at the University of Houston in 1977, 1979 and 1980.

“Marshall has played a lot of football for Green Bay; he’ll be a quality addition to our line,” said Alexander in a news release. “He’s played left tackle and right tackle and has experience in big games.”

Marshall also had a star-studded college career in Texas to keep it in the family. With Dalton's help. Newhouse  protected him in his first three seasons and they went to a bowl game every year. When Newhouse was a senior and Dalton a junior, they helped TCU to its first undefeated regular season in 71 years.

He's happy to be re-united with his fellow Metroplex resident.

"I know it's a business, but to be able to come to this team with Andy here is something I'm looking forward to," Newhouse said. "He's a proven winner and a great competitor. We're still pretty close and with our families. We both live down here and I've worked out with him a few times. I'm glad to be back with him."

Newhouse was an unrestricted free agent, but it is believed his deal isn't big enough to impact potential compensation for free-agent losses. The Bengals' big money deals are coming later with their own players in deals they hope to strike with Dalton, A.J. Green and Vontaze Burfict, among others.

You always hope to replace your losses with equal to or better. Newhouse is neither on the surface, but he is what we want: quality, versatile, depth.

I agree.  He isn't as good as Collins but we simply could not justify paying a roll player starter money particularly at that position.    

Collins deserves to be a starter in this league I think but we just didn't have the spot open.  It would be hard to justify paying Whit starting LT money to slide into the guard spot and pay Collins what he just got to move to LT.

That is the way it goes sometimes.  San Diego had the same issue with Brees and Rivers.   My Saints certainly got better because of San Diego's problem.

I confess to not being as impressed with Collins as a lot of you were. I am sanguine about his loss. Especially if this team wants to run the ball effectively next year. Collins was useless in run blocking. 

I like this as a replacement, frankly. 

I confess to not being as impressed with Collins as a lot of you were. I am sanguine about his loss. Especially if this team wants to run the ball effectively next year. Collins was useless in run blocking. 

I like this as a replacement, frankly. 

Valid argument particularly when you look at the dollars involved.

I liked Collins because he was a good backup.  I don't like him now at his new salary.

I agree.  He isn't as good as Collins but we simply could not justify paying a roll player starter money particularly at that position.    

Collins deserves to be a starter in this league I think but we just didn't have the spot open.  It would be hard to justify paying Whit starting LT money to slide into the guard spot and pay Collins what he just got to move to LT.

That is the way it goes sometimes.  San Diego had the same issue with Brees and Rivers.   My Saints certainly got better because of San Diego's problem.

I do not necessarily disagree but I hope the decision is/was not made on Whit's dollars. Whit was a starting LT when he signed that deal, if someone is better or if the team is better with Whit playing another spot, he should play another spot regardless of his contract. In my view, the oline was better when Whit was at guard. Whether this was a result of Whit being better than anyone else at RG or due to Collins being a better pass protector at LT.

I do not necessarily disagree but I hope the decision is/was not made on Whit's dollars. Whit was a starting LT when he signed that deal, if someone is better or if the team is better with Whit playing another spot, he should play another spot regardless of his contract. In my view, the oline was better when Whit was at guard. Whether this was a result of Whit being better than anyone else at RG or due to Collins being a better pass protector at LT.

Absolutely agree with the bolded.

I hope this signing works out, here is what a GB fan has to say on Reddit:

Hello Bengals friends. I am here to express my condolences, and to let you know that I sincerely hope Newhouse isn't called upon to play a single regular season snap for your team. Hopefully this is just a one-year, easy-to-cut-before-the-season signing for you guys. I like your team, it deserves better than Newhouse.

Aww yeah...Newhouse is in the da house...Super Bowl bound!!!!111

So we replaced a guy who shut out the best DE's in the NFL and didn't give up a sack all season with a guy who couldn't even get on the field for a team that couldn't protect one of the best QB's in the league and was benched in place of a rookie 4th round pick....but he played with Andy at TCU, so I'm sure he will be great here. 

Aww yeah...Newhouse is in the da house...Super Bowl bound!!!!111

So we replaced a guy who shut out the best DE's in the NFL and didn't give up a sack all season with a guy who couldn't even get on the field for a team that couldn't protect one of the best QB's in the league and was benched in place of a rookie 4th round pick....but he played with Andy at TCU, so I'm sure he will be great here. 

no... we gave up a very expensive back up for a much less expensive back up.....

it's almost always like that when a player leaves via free agency..

"he was never any good anyway, I'm glad he is gone"

I am not saying he is going to be great or anything, but they must have liked something about him.

x2.  I haven't seen him play, so I can't judge him, but at the same time I know that Green Bay's oline has sucked for years, which speaks to poor coaching.  If he struggled in Green Bay, it may not have all been his doing.

As for fans, just look at what was said about Terrence Newman before he was a Bengal.

no... we gave up a very expensive back up for a much less expensive back up.....

Collins wasn't a back-up, he was our starting LT...but don't let facts get in the way of you rationalizing MB's genius front office moves that have produced zero playoff wins in 23 years, the longest drought in the NFL. 

Per Bengals.com:

A sixth-year pro in 2013, Collins has performed at high level as No. 3 T, and now has moved into starting LT role, part of a line shuffle following season-ending injury to G Clint Boling … His six starts on the season include primary efforts in holding Pro Bowl DEs Julius Peppers of Chicago and Robert Mathis of Indianapolis without sacks … 
Has played in 14 games (Games 1 and 3-15), with six starts (Games 1, 9 and 12-15) ... Started at LT in place of Andrew Whitworth on Sept. 8 at Chicago and more than held his own against eight-time Pro Bowl DE Julius Peppers, who logged no statistics ... Played Sept. 16 against Pittsburgh and spelled Whitworth at LT as offense allowed no sacks and gained 407 yards ... Inactive Sept. 22 vs. Green Bay, due to knee injury ... Appeared at LT in second quarter Sept. 29 at Cleveland, as line was shuffled after injury to RG Kevin Zeitler ... Appeared on special teams Oct. 6 vs. New England ... Saw offensive action on selected plays Oct. 13 at Buffalo as extra TE ... Played on special teams Oct. 20 at Detroit ... Employed as situational move-tight end and played on special teams Oct. 27 vs. the Jets ... Started at LT in place of Whitworth on Oct. 31 at Miami and helped lead blocking effort for Bengals to rush for 163 yards (4.7 average), second-highest rushing output of season ... Pressed into action at LT on Nov. 17 vs. Cleveland, when line was shuffled due to injuries in fourth quarter ... Started at RT on Dec. 1 at San Diego, but played majority of game at LT after injury to LG Clint Boling forced line to shuffle ... Contributed to blocking effort at San Diego that allowed no sacks of QB Andy Dalton for second straight game, and rushing attack that gained 164 yards (second-highest rushing output of season) … On Dec. 8 vs. Indianapolis, helped keep Dalton sack-free for third straight game and supported 155-yard rushing effort, and Dalton was named AFC Offensive Player of Week with 120.5 passer rating ... On Dec. 22 vs. Minnesota, started at LT but switched to RT after injury to RT Andre Smith, and helped team amass 429 yards while Dalton posted career-best 136.5 passer rating.

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/AC-goes-360/b6ea9ee6-0f48-4c0b-a3ce-dc0a9e5c2785

After studying his 592 snaps, Pro Football Focus has Collins as the only tackle in the league that didn't give up a sack or a hit on the quarterback this season, even though he also played Bears great Julius Peppers and Miami's Olivier Vernon, an 11.5-sack man in addition to Mathis, Jared Allen, and Terrell Suggs. (PFF had Collins giving up a hit Sunday against the Chargers

Collins wasn't a back-up, he was our starting LT...but don't let facts get in the way of you rationalizing MB's genius front office moves that have produced zero playoff wins in 23 years, the longest drought in the NFL. 

Per Bengals.com:

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/AC-goes-360/b6ea9ee6-0f48-4c0b-a3ce-dc0a9e5c2785

Philosophical question.... is a starter due to injury truly a starter?

Per Bengals.com:

Collins was the 3rd OT here, and would have continued to be the 3rd tackle if he had re-signed. 

Per Bengals.com:

Collins was NOT our starting LT, he was a backup who was brought in due to injuries to Zeitler then Clint Boling.  Would have sat the bench if both were healthy.  Whit was moved to LG to help with our anemic run game once Boling went down AND Zeitler was still out. 

Basically, Whit at guard and Collins at Tackle was a better tandem than Whit at tackle and Collins at guard and it was all predicated on Whit's ability to pull at guard and support the run.

Collins was NOT our starting LT, he was a backup who was brought in due to injuries to Zeitler then Clint Boling.  Would have sat the bench if both were healthy.  Whit was moved to LG to help with our anemic run game once Boling went down AND Zeitler was still out. 

Basically, Whit at guard and Collins at Tackle was a better tandem than Whit at tackle and Collins at guard and it was all predicated on Whit's ability to pull at guard and support the run.

yep.  Collins (who I think is great and wished they resigned), was LT ONLY because the Bengals reached a point where Whit was their best option at left guard. 

If Collins could play left guard he would have and they would have left Whit at tackle.

It all revolved around the fact that Whit was the best option at left guard and because they had a suitable option at tackle in Collins.  If both boling and zeitler hadn't been hurt, you likely would have seen Pollak at LG and Whit stay at tackle.

Archived