Burfict Extension, SIGNED

It's a little strange that there has been a delay from the deal being announced and yet is still not finalized. From Burfict's end, I would view this deal as part insurance and part as a bridge to a bigger one down the road. He could play out the next two years and bet on himself to stay healthy and productive, but that entails plenty of risk. Being under team control means he has zero leverage to demand top dollar as if he were an unrestricted free agent. Doing a 4 year deal is smart for him as well so that he will be under 30 when the contract runs out. Of course, the team is getting a good deal to pay less than market value for the heart of Burfict's prime years.

Exactly, well put.

And I would suspect that halfway through this extension when it goes through, there will be another one on his behalf, for a real payday. As long as he stays healthy and keeps performing. He's a Bengal for life. I feel it.

Hope you are right and I could definitely see it happening that way.

The thing that makes it a little bit easier is that 4-3 LBs don't get paid crazy money in today's NFL now that it's more of a passing league. So the Bengals should be able to keep him long term without breaking the bank.

I think if it were a huge deal we would be hearing more about it as surely Burfict's side would have leaked something by this point.. I think the fact that we are getting nothing tells me that things aren't that far off, and as had been said earlier it was likely just a case of an agent putting the cart before the horse and that the two sides are still actively working on ironing out the details.. 

I would expect something to get done in the next few days.

I think if it were a huge deal we would be hearing more about it as surely Burfict's side would have leaked something by this point.. I think the fact that we are getting nothing tells me that things aren't that far off, and as had been said earlier it was likely just a case of an agent putting the cart before the horse and that the two sides are still actively working on ironing out the details.. 

I would expect something to get done in the next few days.

Man I hope so, want him in the fold asap.

If it were a major problem, I doubt he would have played Sunday night.  My guess is that his Agent, who is fairly new, got ahead of himself in reporting the deal.  They'll get it worked out in the next couple of days.

I can tell you that he wasn't going to play and he only played for one series after a "hamstring" injury.

I can tell you that he wasn't going to play and he only played for one series after a "hamstring" injury.

Thanks for the 'positive' news :ninja:
ughhh...the more I hear about this the more worriesome it sounds.
Come on Katie, show Tez the money & get this deal done.

Archived