Burfict Extension, SIGNED

He's the top LB in the league, he can afford to bite whatever hand he wants because if it's not us, someone else will pony up for him.

I'd love it if he took a hometown discount, I'm not going to hate him if he doesnt. 

As far as contract and honoring them, we've recently done a deal for our QB that was out of the box for the Bengals that allows us to let him go after two years and not fully honor the contract. So I still think getting the best deal is something all of us would do.He's not a top 6 OLB, he's the top 4/3 OLB in the league, if you were I imagine you'd want to be paid at least close to the top as opposed to top 6. And sure we could force him to play out his rookie deal and if he keeps his play up which so far it looks like he is, he would still get paid like a top LB in a few years. I think throwing him a little more money to put him into at least the top 3 wouldnt be horrible especially considering how the cba money has been going up it will be a steal in a few years, and he's earned it.

I dont care, and I'm sure the Bengals or Burfict care what you want on the team. 

Personally I want the top players we can get and if we have the top 4/3 OLB we should do our best to keep him.

If my ignore function applied to a user I have on ignore when they are quoted, it would be useful.  You can choose to ignore your neighbor's blaring radio, but unless you can walk into his house and pull the plug, "ignoring" it doesn't really do the trick, does it?

God, are y'all so frail you can't just scroll past the offending comments?  How have y'all not figured out a solution 10+ years in?  Also, why are y'all so delicate?

I wonder things.  

PS:  Give Burfict Billions, Burfict, hold out if you don't get enough, easy.  I support this.

Best deal you can get absolutely. Biting the hand that feeds me no. If reports are true that he has been faking illnesses and injuries to hide that he is holding out then I think that is lame. If you are unhappy with the contract then work it out but honor you current arrangement. I am not saying he is not honoring it. I am simply projecting if this is the case

Fair enough. But I've seen nothing that would make me think Burfict wasn't commited to honoring his current contract, and I remind all that any speculation he's faking illness or injury hasn't come from Burfict.

Rather, it's come from those who are compelled to write an entire article out of the words...no comment.

His deal is not unfair. On the Jungle Noise MB someone posted salaries for LBs and looking at just OLB I believe this deal would put him in the top 6. Agmonst all LBs it would make him top 10 paid.

I don't disagree. If the contract proposal is light it isn't by much.

That said, if there really is a holdup the Devils advocate (pun intended) is probably arguing that Burfict shouldn't have to take any discount whatsoever in exchange for being extended early given that he's already grossly outplayed his current contract.

Myself, I'd be happy to add more money in exchange for another year under contract.

Best deal you can get absolutely. Biting the hand that feeds me no. If reports are true that he has been faking illnesses and injuries to hide that he is holding out then I think that is lame. If you are unhappy with the contract then work it out but honor you current arrangement. I am not saying he is not honoring it. I am simply projecting if this is the case

One thing I think everyone including Burfict needs to take into consideration is we pay our deals better then any other NFL team. We honor our contracts. We don't back load them to make it appear you are a highest paid player and then cut you before you ever get that cash. We say we are going to pay you this much and we do.

His deal is not unfair. On the Jungle Noise MB someone posted salaries for LBs and looking at just OLB I believe this deal would put him in the top 6. Agmonst all LBs it would make him top 10 paid.

Not bad after 2 years. Let's not forget his past either. We don't know how Burfict will reCt once he is "paid". Will the old Burfict show up and his mentality change?

I don't know his thoughts not how he feels. From what I do know though. He should be thankful that we gave him a shot on our top ranking defense in the NFL and he should be thankful that we are willing to pay him BEFORE his current contract is up. We could just force him to play out his rookie agreement.

Respect goes both ways. That is my point. Like it or don't. I don't care. I don't want cry baby holdouts on my team. Not saying he is one just saying I don't want them here. So hopefully this doesn't turn into that.

he owes the bengals nothing. they took no risk in signing an UDFA, absolutely zero risk what so ever... none, not a bit, he got like a grand signing bonus and a bullshit salary. 

the bengals got a pro bowl top caliber player for the last several years. Any negotiation should be on fair terms of his value. free agent and restricted free agent market values vary, but the deal that was reported is peanuts. anything under 7-8mil a year for all future years is a slap in the face and is basically saying "we own you, take it or leave it" and as a player, in a league with the average career lasting 3-4 years, you certainly see that as such. 

the assertion that burfict owes them something is nuts, if they drafted him in the first 3 round, MAYBE, as then they would have risked a pick and some cash on him, but they "risked" neither and got the huge payout.. both kicker make more than burfict does....

he owes them nothing, they have far far out gained the zero risk investment....

when you have a playerwho is one of the best in the game, and you want to keep him around, there is no such thing as leverage, leveraging someone is a shit tactic they causes hurt feelings and resentment.

give the guy 5 years and $50 million and lets move on...

he owes the bengals nothing. they took no risk in signing an UDFA, absolutely zero risk what so ever... none, not a bit, he got like a grand signing bonus and a bullshit salary. 

the bengals got a pro bowl top caliber player for the last several years. Any negotiation should be on fair terms of his value. free agent and restricted free agent market values vary, but the deal that was reported is peanuts. anything under 7-8mil a year for all future years is a slap in the face and is basically saying "we own you, take it or leave it" and as a player, in a league with the average career lasting 3-4 years, you certainly see that as such. 

the assertion that burfict owes them something is nuts, if they drafted him in the first 3 round, MAYBE, as then they would have risked a pick and some cash on him, but they "risked" neither and got the huge payout.. both kicker make more than burfict does....

he owes them nothing, they have far far out gained the zero risk investment....

when you have a playerwho is one of the best in the game, and you want to keep him around, there is no such thing as leverage, leveraging someone is a shit tactic they causes hurt feelings and resentment.

give the guy 5 years and $50 million and lets move on...

Kinda hilarious when you consider Burfict was signing his contract even as you were writing the above.

Bengals announce Burfict extension

Posted by Mike Florio on August 27, 2014, 3:48 PM EDT
burfict.jpg?w=362Getty Images

It tooks awhile, but it’s finally official.

The Bengals have announced that linebacker Vontaze Burfict has signed a new deal.  It puts him under contract through 2017.

Burfict, the NFL’s leading tackler in 2013, was eligible for a new deal because he wasn’t drafted.  It’s a strange donut hole in the current labor deal, which forces incoming rookies to wait three years to renegotiate, if drafted.

“Vontaze is a special talent; he has shown us that from his first day here,” coach Marvin Lewis said. “He is a load physically and he’s extremely competitive, but what really makes him stand out is the instinct and feel he has for the game. It’s something born in him, you can’t coach a player to naturally react the way he does in all situations. This signing is a great move for the future of our defense.”

“It’s unusual to sign a player this early in his career to a contract extension, but Vontaze is a player who merits this,” executive vice president Katie Blackburn said. “He has proven to be an exceptional find for us, and we are happy to reward him now for his accomplishments. It’s good for him and good for our team.”

Burfict plunged through the draft due to a variety of concerns, from a failed drug test at the Scouting Combine to questions regarding whether he could control his temper on the field to a bad performance (both on the field and before the media) in Indianapolis to a bad Pro Day.  Mike Mayock described Burfict at one point as non-draftable.  Burfict remained optimistic, despite getting no pre-draft visits or workouts.

The Bengals didn’t draft Burfict, but they took a chance on him as an undrafted free agent.  It paid off for the Bengals, and it’s now paying off for Burfict.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/08/27/bengals-announce-burfict-extension/

Vontaze Burfict gets 3-year deal
Updated: August 27, 2014, 3:45 PM ET
By Coley Harvey | ESPN.com

CINCINNATI -- It took an extra week, but Vontaze Burfict's contract extension with the Cincinnati Bengals is finally official.

The Bengals agreed Wednesday afternoon to a three-year contract extension with the linebacker that will keep him in stripes through the 2017 season. It isn't yet clear exactly how much Burfict will make on the deal, but reports last week from ESPN Insiders Adam Caplan and Adam Schefter indicated that it could be in the $20 million total range. Caplan and Schefter reported last week that Burfict had agreed to an extension.

Burfict, the Bengals' Pro Bowl outside linebacker, didn't sign the deal until Wednesday afternoon.

"It's great to have this deal done and know I'm going to be here beyond this season," Burfict said. "We can have a great defense again this year, even better than the last couple years."

Last season, the Bengals' defense ranked third in the league. Despite changing coordinators this offseason, expectations are that the unit could perform as good as, if not better, than it did last year.

As he entered the third and final season on his rookie deal, Burfict was scheduled to make $570,000 this year. The low figure was the result of him going undrafted out of Arizona State in 2012. He could make more than $7 million this season alone if last week's reports about his extension figures hold true.

"It's unusual to sign a player this early in his career to a contract extension, but Vontaze is a player who merits this," Bengals executive vice president Katie Blackburn said. "He has proven to be an exceptional find for us and we are happy to reward him now for his accomplishments. It's good for him and good for our team."

With 298 career tackles in 32 regular-season games, Burfict has been arguably the Bengals' best defender since he has been in Cincinnati. Defensive coordinator Paul Guenther has often praised his football intelligence and credits Burfict for knowing the system better than any other player on the team. Burfict had a league-high 171 tackles last year.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/11419517/cincinnati-bengals-vontaze-burfict-agree-3-year-contract-extension

Archived