Bengals 53-man roster set

not sure about this. Still was replacing Pat Sims who did well here. Plus Still was big ten D player of the year and dominated at Penn state. Pretty sure he was high on most boards

Oh I forgot about Sims, but he hasn't exactly been a world beater at any time in the pros. Sims also was already gone, adding to the idea Still was taken to fill a need. He was high on draft boards yes, but did he have the top grade at the time he was picked? Only a handful of people actually know that answer but my hunch says it's doubtful.

Oh I forgot about Sims, but he hasn't exactly been a world beater at any time in the pros. Sims also was already gone, adding to the idea Still was taken to fill a need. He was high on draft boards yes, but did he have the top grade at the time he was picked? Only a handful of people actually know that answer but my hunch says it's doubtful.

No he wasn't . Still and Thompson's rookie season was 2012. Pat Sims last season here was 2012. Sims was ahead of both in the rotation that season

7 LBs is interesting.  My thinking is that they are going a little heavier there this year bc the guys on the fringe are explosive athletes and good blitzers - and our new DC is going to be blitzing a lot more (as we already saw in PS.

I feel like the team is reacting to recent seasons that have seen injuries force them to bring in guys like Michael Boley mid season, and maybe looking for better tackling on ST along with your stated theory.

I feel like the team is reacting to recent seasons that have seen injuries force them to bring in guys like Michael Boley mid season, and maybe looking for better tackling on ST along with your stated theory.

I can go along with this theory except for the fact that one of the guys they kept as that 7th LB (Porter) seems to have injury problems himself.

Tobin > Weston at spotting talent and knowing team needs. :)

That's undeniable. But Tobin is not infallible.

I think sometimes the team gets too cute and over drafts players that don't really fit but who they think will and draft people who don't really fit with what we want to do or that might not make logical sense in terms of overall value when your constructing a team. That's it. I think Will Clarke, Jeremy Hill, Tyler Eifert and Shawn Williams all fit those in differing ways.

That's undeniable. But Tobin is not infallible.

I think sometimes the team gets too cute and over drafts players that don't really fit but who they think will and draft people who don't really fit with what we want to do or that might not make logical sense in terms of overall value when your constructing a team. That's it. I think Will Clarke, Jeremy Hill, Tyler Eifert and Shawn Williams all fit those in differing ways.

There is no book that is perfect as far as how to build a team , just like there is no book on how to be a perfect parent.Right or wrong, its always gonna be critiqued.

I think some of the positional breakdowns are a little random and just came down to special teams since the 7th LB or 5th Safety isn't likely to see the field a whole lot (if at all) on defense. Could have simply been they thought Flowers (or Porter) had looked better covering kicks than Manning did.

With Devon Still, I think the Bengals have been very willing to take some boom/bust type D linemen who had the knock against them that they "took plays off" in college. It worked out really well for us and we got steals with MJ and Dunlap. Still is just the other side of that same coin and it didn't work out. It still makes sense to keep spending those 2nd-4th round picks on DEs and DTs and hope we hit on more than we miss.

Can't hit on every pick which is why it is so important to have extra picks every year. We should have 6 in the first 4 rounds next year and if we hit on 4/6, we will be in great shape.

Overall, I really like the looks of this roster. We were able to make it through camp relatively injury free with Jones being the only regular to get hurt and it looks like he will be back pretty early.

I think some of the positional breakdowns are a little random and just came down to special teams since the 7th LB or 5th Safety isn't likely to see the field a whole lot (if at all) on defense. Could have simply been they thought Flowers (or Porter) had looked better covering kicks than Manning did.

With Devon Still, I think the Bengals have been very willing to take some boom/bust type D linemen who had the knock against them that they "took plays off" in college. It worked out really well for us and we got steals with MJ and Dunlap. Still is just the other side of that same coin and it didn't work out. It still makes sense to keep spending those 2nd-4th round picks on DEs and DTs and hope we hit on more than we miss.

Can't hit on every pick which is why it is so important to have extra picks every year. We should have 6 in the first 4 rounds next year and if we hit on 4/6, we will be in great shape.

Overall, I really like the looks of this roster. We were able to make it through camp relatively injury free with Jones being the only regular to get hurt and it looks like he will be back pretty early.

Agreed. We are too thin at LT especially for the long haul and we have the wrong kind of back up safeties but I like our depth pretty much everywhere else. It's easier to pinpoint the minor things that are wrong now then when we used to trade up for KiJana Carter and draft Akili Smith

We have needs. We have next to no depth at Tackle, we have poor depth at LB and safety.

Drafting guys like Still, and even Eifert and Hill, while I like them as players, you had starters at both spots and needed depth elsewhere.

Standout Safeties: The Raiders cut Brandian Ross.  Zimmer cut Chris Crocker and Kurt Coleman up in Minnesota.  Packers let Chris Banjo loose.  Niners cut C.J. Spillman.  

There is no book that is perfect as far as how to build a team , just like there is no book on how to be a perfect parent.Right or wrong, its always gonna be critiqued.

You've apparently never met my mother.  She doesn't need a book.  Just ask her.

Burkhead isn't playing for a month though. Seems strange.

My thoughts exactly.
Why not put Wilder on the 53?
Are they thinking Burkhead would not clear waivers?
This makes us thin at RB until he returns.
And we have to hope Burkhead comes back healthy and JW jr. clears waiver.
A little risky if you ask me. 

My thoughts exactly.
Why not put Wilder on the 53?
Are they thinking Burkhead would not clear waivers?
This makes us thin at RB until he returns.
And we have to hope Burkhead comes back healthy and JW jr. clears waiver.
A little risky if you ask me.

Why? Neither one is going to see the field unless someone gets hurt, and rex is a better overall player than wilder right now.

I won't argue that Peerman is our best teams player but until how long he will be that? Also I truly believe that Burkhead is over hyped.

We already know that a healthy Rex could probably do fine taking over Peerman's teams duties.  Our special teams studs are king of the Hill until the team doesn't sign them (Skuta) or cuts them for someone with upside (Hebert).  It isn't a position with a lot of job securtiy by its nature.

Rex isn't hyped by anyone, but the coaches.  This is not hype, but an evaluation.  To me, he looks like a decent back, in the mold of Brian Leonard.  Could eventually chip in as a third down back.

I won't argue that Peerman is our best teams player but until how long he will be that? Also I truly believe that Burkhead is over hyped.

I would agree considering he's done fuck-all in an NFL game so far, but apparently the coaches are getting to see something we're not because he keeps hanging around. The *ahem* "high motor/football IQ" quota has been met so it can't be that...

:ninja:

Archived