Burfict has surgery

Hobsons article mentions PUP. Reading this makes it feel like we shouldn't count on him being 100% next year.

TEZ ON TARGET:

Lewis also confirmed that Pro Bowl WILL linebacker Vontaze Burfict has had knee surgery and while there has been some concern he might have to start the season on the physically unable to perform list and miss the first six weeks, Lewis said the plan is hell be back for the season.

But he has made it clear to Burfict, a college free agent, there is much to be done.

He has to work his tail off. He has to work harder now than he did to get here, Lewis said. Everyone in his inner circle has continued to reinforce that. He has to work harder now than he did to get here.

Asked if Burficts timetable allows him to start the season Lewis said, Thats the plan. You cant be rushed. It has to heal. It has to get right.

I'm preparing myself to say goodbye to the old Burfict, ...that is just how our luck works.

As the regular season wound down, there was word out of Cincinnati that linebacker Vontaze Burfict might need to have a second surgery on his knee after landing on injured reserve following an initial operation in October.

Bengals coach Marvin Lewis confirmed last week that Burfict had another operation, but stopped short of revealing all the details of the surgery. It turns out that Burfict needed to have microfracture surgery, an operation that’s designed to regrow cartilage in the knee and comes with added fears about how Burfict will respond for the 2015 season.

His surgeon Neal ElAttrache was cleared to talk about the surgery and told Ian Rapoport of NFL Media that he’s not worried about that aspect. He said the goal is for Burfict to be ready to go full speed at training camp, but he wouldn’t rule out a return in time for mandatory minicamp.

“I don’t see any reason, if this thing heals like we want and we think it will, why he won’t be back like he was,” ElAttrache said. “Microfracture has a bad connotation, but there are plenty of guys who have come back and been able to play like before. But it’s not really news when it works out.”

There’s a long way to go before anyone will know if it works out. Burfict will be on crutches for several weeks and it will be three months before he can start running, so the Bengals have to have a plan for how to go forward on defense if things don’t work out with Burfict.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/01/26/vontaze-burfict-recovering-from-microfracture-surgery/

:frantics: :frantics: :panicbutton: :panicbutton: :42:

No panic here, need to target his replacement in FA and spend the money to get him. My friend does a dozen knee surgeries a week, I am not making anything up...he will not be ready to play in September. It takes a good year at best for the surgery to WORK if it does. You need to understand the procedure, the doctor makes microfractures in a part of the knee in the hope that it will stimulate NEW tendon growth. It isn't about rehab, it's about hoping the tendon will regrow which takes a long time. It also involves a bit of genetic luck.

No panic here, need to target his replacement in FA and spend the money to get him. My friend does a dozen knee surgeries a week, I am not making anything up...he will not be ready to play in September. It takes a good year at best for the surgery to WORK if it does. You need to understand the procedure, the doctor makes microfractures in a part of the knee in the hope that it will stimulate NEW tendon growth. It isn't about rehab, it's about hoping the tendon will regrow which takes a long time. It also involves a bit of genetic luck.

Yep, asked around the Orthopedic surgeons at work regarding the prognosis for this surgery.  The consensus was that it would be a rough trip back at best.  One of them, a definite non-sports fan said "Hope they didn't give him a big new contract or anything".  

:46:

Why wouldn't they just do an ACL type surgery, which has a much better recovery rate? Even if it's not the acl per se- you would think repairing or replacing the ligament/tendon would be easier than trying to grow a new one/part of one

Why wouldn't they just do an ACL type surgery, which has a much better recovery rate? Even if it's not the acl per se- you would think repairing or replacing the ligament/tendon would be easier than trying to grow a new one/part of one

Because of this:

ElAttrache said a blister formed on the outside of the knee that caused constant swelling that eventually wore the cartilage down.

You can't repair what isn't there.  I was optimistic-ish until I read that... 

Oh shit I didn't realize that was cartilage

The other issue is he has to stay off of it for quite awhile and take it easy so the new cartilage grows properly. Basically, he wont be able to do the type of strength training he needs to do for quite awhile. It simply takes a long time for this to work if it does. Keep in mind we are talking NFL athlete, not Jimmy down at the plant.

Von is my favorite Bengal. The Bengals, over the years, have never caught a break with Lady Luck. I just get upset the ball does not bounce our way. Why can't the stealers or Patroits have our luck?

Because of this:

You can't repair what isn't there.  I was optimistic-ish until I read that... 

So does he have a degenerative knee condition? If so then he might as well call it quits right? That cartilage doesn't grow back, and he won't be back to form. Like what happened to Brandon
Roy

You do mean cartilage growth, right?  He had a blister on his cartilage, which means a piece had come out and the rubbing from the femur developed a swollen area.  In his case, it was smaller than 2cm in diameter, and so they did the microfracture to promote blood clots in the area, that if undisturbed, become fibrocartilage.  It does require that he be totally off of it, with zero weight bearing, for a minimum of 6 weeks in order to let the fibrocartilage develop.  By the way, I have Doctor friends as well, and have a knee issue.  I do know knees.

So does he have a degenerative knee condition? If so then he might as well call it quits right? That cartilage doesn't grow back, and he won't be back to form. Like what happened to Brandon
Roy

I don't know that it fits the strict definition of degenerative, as it was caused by a post-operative blister.  I'm not an orthopedic surgeon either, so take that for what it's worth.  And he underwent the surgery in the hopes of getting the cartilage to regrow; only time will tell... 

Yep, asked around the Orthopedic surgeons at work regarding the prognosis for this surgery.  The consensus was that it would be a rough trip back at best.  One of them, a definite non-sports fan said "Hope they didn't give him a big new contract or anything".

:46:

funny and not funny

You do mean cartilage growth, right?  He had a blister on his cartilage, which means a piece had come out and the rubbing from the femur developed a swollen area.  In his case, it was smaller than 2cm in diameter, and so they did the microfracture to promote blood clots in the area, that if undisturbed, become fibrocartilage.  It does require that he be totally off of it, with zero weight bearing, for a minimum of 6 weeks in order to let the fibrocartilage develop.  By the way, I have Doctor friends as well, and have a knee issue.  I do know knees.

Yeah I ment cartilage, too used to saying tendon. Its actually a great surgery if it works. Genetics have a lot to do with the success. You are actually attempting to trick your stem cells into growing new cartilage.

Article I ran across this morning while the site was down .... 

Understanding microfracture helps with timeline

Posted in Feature Stories By Herbie Teope+ On April 21, 2014   printer_famfamfam.gif

KANSAS CITY, Mo. – The Chiefs officially started the offseason workout program on Monday, but whether the team is 100 percent strength at the tight end position remains to be seen.

Chiefs coach Andy Reid said Travis Kelce, who missed his rookie season after undergoing mircofracture knee surgery in early October 2013, is “progressing well and doing everything” when it comes to the first phase of the offseason program.

The first phase includes voluntary workouts in the form of weight lifting and running with strength and conditioning coaches, and classroom sessions with members of the coaching staff.

When asked to clarify if Kelce was medically cleared, Reid didn’t offer a definitive response.

“He’s right there,” Reid said. “How about I say it that way? He can do what we’re doing right now.”

Still, if a player hasn’t been medically cleared in April from an early October microfracture knee surgery wouldn’t be cause for alarm, according to Dr. Jeff Dugas of the renowned Andrews Sports Medicine & Orthopaedic Center in Birmingham, Ala.

While Dugas didn’t personally evaluate Kelce, he offered an opinion during a phone interview based on his area of expertise with orthopedic sports injuries.

“If I was reading the newspaper and I’m a Chiefs fan, that wouldn’t disturb me knowing what I know about it,” Dugas said. “There are three more months until he needs to be full-go.”

Of course, hearing of microfracture knee surgery could cause a layman to cringe.

The process involves identifying the cartilaginous defect, and then inserting multiple small holes in the bone close to the defect 3 to 4 millimeters apart. Doing so stimulates the bone marrow to produce cartilage or cartilage-like tissue in an attempt to heal itself.

Notable NFL players to reportedly have the surgery in recent years include tight end Kellen Winslow Jr. (2007), running backs Maurice Jone-Drew (2011) and Reggie Bush (2008), and wide receiver Marques Colston (2009, 2011).

In the NBA, Jason Kidd, Chris Webber, Anfernee Hardaway, Tracy McGrady, Greg Oden and Amar’e Stoudemire are among players to have undergone microfrature surgery.

Overall results are mixed, but Dugas said the microfracture procedure is an “evolving science,” adding there are factors to consider.

microfracture_300.jpg

Graphic used with permission. Credit: Steadman Hawkins Clinic of the Carolinas

“The success rate of microfracture is highly dependent on so many things,” Dugas said. “Age, location, size, physical demand of the patient and overall health of the patient all contribute to the success rate.

“The size of the defect is obviously one of the more important things, so every defect that gets microfractured will be in some way different. They’re like footprints. If you’re talking about a small defect, say 1 square centimeter, the success rate for that will be much higher than a defect that is 6 square centimeters.”

When it comes to recovery, the defect location, whether in a weight-bearing or non-weight-bearing area, plays a role.

In Kelce’s situation, the tight end experienced issues getting in and out of his stance, but could run without pain. Chiefs head athletic trainer Rick Burkholder said on Oct. 9, 2013 that Kelce’s defect was identified in the articular cartilage in a non-weight-bearing area.

That information proved important to Dugas’ forecast for a recovery timetable.

“I would expect that with microfracture surgery of the knee, most NFL athletes would take at least six months to return to normal levels of performance and competition,” Dugas said. “But again, obviously the smaller the defect, the less you’re asking of the body. The bigger the defect, the more you’re asking.”

A final consideration with recovery surrounds a patient’s history.

Former NFL running backs Terrell Davis and Stephen Davis, both of whom had a history of knee injuries, were arguably never the same player after a microfracture procedure.

“If the cartilage defect is isolated and there is no other pathology in the knee, the success rate of microfracture surgery is very high in terms of getting a healthy tissue to grow,” Dugas said. “If there is associated meniscal damage or widespread arthritis, the success rate of microfracture surgery decreases. Also, knee stability plays an important role. If the knee isn’t stable, like in the ACL deficient knee, the success rate of microfracture surgery goes down.”

Kelce doesn’t have a history with knee injuries, and his known health concerns coming out of the University of Cincinnati surrounded shoulder and sports hernia injuries.

Nevertheless, getting him back from microfracture surgery and ready for the upcoming season is essential to bolster the Chiefs tight end corps in Reid’s version of the West Coast offense.

Despite not playing last season, Kelce had the benefit of staying in Kansas City during his recuperation. Being around the team and learning the complex offense before the offseason provided an advantage.

“That part, that was a big thing,” Reid said of Kelce’s ability to attend regular season team meetings following surgery. “Once the season was over, then you’re done until today (Monday) with the football part.”

Former NFL tight end Luther Broughton, who played two seasons for Reid in Philadelphia (1999-2000), agreed with his former head coach.

“The one big challenge for him is his knee,” Broughton said of Kelce in a phone interview. “Let’s be honest, microfracture, that’s a tough one. The good thing about it is he’s been there a year; it’s not like he’s coming out of college. He’s been studying and that’s a humongous head start.”

Former three-time Pro Bowl Eagles tight end Chad Lewis echoed Reid and Broughton.

“Since he’s been there a year, then it will be very important for him to know his position,” Lewis said in a phone interview. “He’s been in meetings, he needs to know where to line up and that’s just the basics.”

In the meantime, in the event Kelce isn’t ready to return to unlimited physical activity shouldn’t hurt the underlying objective from a professional team’s point of view when it comes to microfracture surgery.

And the timing of an athlete to undergo that procedure in early October should keep a player on track barring a setback.

“The goal for that athlete and that team is for him to be ready to play in August-September,” Dugas said. “If he doesn’t perform in April or May, that doesn’t necessarily mean he won’t be ready to perform in August-September.”

http://www.chiefsdigest.com/understanding-microfracture-helps-with-timeline/

Archived