So who's going to get cut...

So who's going to get cut when Burfict comes back in a couple of weeks? 

Assuming we have no major injuries (knock on wood), my guess would be Margus Hunt.  I was surprised he made the final 53 and he's done nothing since then.

And if we have no injuries to the Offensive line, I expect they'll put Ogbuehi on IR when he becomes eligible. 

I see 40 or 47, mostly becuase I have no idea who they are.

Well they definitely aren't going to cut 47. He's our rookie LB Dawson that we took in the 3rd round. And #40 is our rookie safety Derron Smith that the coaches like a lot.

I think they cut Carter or Hunt. Carter made the team as a "LB" and hasn't really done anything positive in his limited snaps and has a roughing the passer call. Personally, I think it should be Hunt but he was a 2nd round pick so I'm sure he gets more time.

I would have considered Chris Lewis Harris an option but with Adam Jones and Dre both a little banged up I don't think that will even get considered over the next few weeks.

So who's going to get cut when Burfict comes back in a couple of weeks? 

Assuming we have no major injuries (knock on wood), my guess would be Margus Hunt.  I was surprised he made the final 53 and he's done nothing since then.

And if we have no injuries to the Offensive line, I expect they'll put Ogbuehi on IR when he becomes eligible. 

I'll continue to say this...cutting Margus Hunt and not at least getting a conditional draft pick would be a failure on many levels.  There are lots of teams that could use a physical d-lineman and we should at least be able to get a 6th rounder for him.  I know a 6th rounder isn't much, but it gives you a little more ammo to move around in the draft.  On top of that, if you keep the pick, you never know and could draft the next Tom Brady.  

So my hope is we trade Hunt when we active Tez.

I'll continue to say this...cutting Margus Hunt and not at least getting a conditional draft pick would be a failure on many levels.  There are lots of teams that could use a physical d-lineman and we should at least be able to get a 6th rounder for him.  I know a 6th rounder isn't much, but it gives you a little more ammo to move around in the draft.  On top of that, if you keep the pick, you never know and could draft the next Tom Brady.  

So my hope is we trade Hunt when we active Tez.

Not sure why this would be an issue--we cut Devon Still this year and he was a second round draft pick...     I don't think any team would give us anything for Hunt.

Not sure why this would be an issue--we cut Devon Still this year and he was a second round draft pick...     I don't think any team would give us anything for Hunt.

I think Hunt has off the chart physical ability.  There's got to be some coach somewhere that thinks he can teach him technique (calling Mike Z.).  Still just never showed anything, not a flash, a spark, nothing.  Not that Hunt has shown much, but at least he's got unique physical tools and that should intrigue someone I'd hope...it sure fooled us.

Well they definitely aren't going to cut 47. He's our rookie LB Dawson that we took in the 3rd round. And #40 is our rookie safety Derron Smith that the coaches like a lot.

I think they cut Carter or Hunt. Carter made the team as a "LB" and hasn't really done anything positive in his limited snaps and has a roughing the passer call. Personally, I think it should be Hunt but he was a 2nd round pick so I'm sure he gets more time.

I would have considered Chris Lewis Harris an option but with Adam Jones and Dre both a little banged up I don't think that will even get considered over the next few weeks.

Hunt's safe because he's the only insurance behind the defensive ends.  It's hard to judge what his inactive status means because everyone else in front of him - including Will Clarke - is playing so well.  

Chris Carter is safe because he has a skill that none of the other linebacker does, and it won't change when Burfict is back.  Carter can get after the passer.  Hos value as a swing man is awesome.  The numbers don't reflect much, but he is getting snaps in the nickel package, and he has been disruptive.  The sacks will come.

As a team, the number of sacks the Bengals have amassed is impressive - not so much because it's more than half of last year's total, but moreso because three of their four opponents have been offenses that feature short passing games.  When the Bengals get a crack against a couple more legitimate vertical passing teams, they'll blow that number up.

Not to be Team Eeyore here but do we know what Burfict's actual status is right now? It would be nice to know.  

No I'm right there with you.  The unfortunate thing is he'll need to be activated for live practice sessions before we know if those concussions are a recurring problem.  That's been my concern all along, although I wouldn't expect him to be 100% this year either way on account of the surgery.  Burfict at 75% would still be an improvement.

Paulie G is going to have to cover for some holes at LB.  It seems like he's blitzing them so much because it's the only way to count on them affecting the play at all.  

No I'm right there with you.  The unfortunate thing is he'll need to be activated for live practice sessions before we know if those concussions are a recurring problem.  That's been my concern all along, although I wouldn't expect him to be 100% this year either way on account of the surgery.

Paulie G is going to have to cover for some holes at LB.  It seems like he's blitzing them so much because it's the only way to count on them affecting the play at all.  

The concussion issue will never go away if he keeps tackling the way he has in the past.  

Hunt's safe because he's the only insurance behind the defensive ends.  It's hard to judge what his inactive status means because everyone else in front of him - including Will Clarke - is playing so well.  

Chris Carter is safe because he has a skill that none of the other linebacker does, and it won't change when Burfict is back.  Carter can get after the passer.  Hos value as a swing man is awesome.  The numbers don't reflect much, but he is getting snaps in the nickel package, and he has been disruptive.  The sacks will come.

As a team, the number of sacks the Bengals have amassed is impressive - not so much because it's more than half of last year's total, but moreso because three of their four opponents have been offenses that feature short passing games.  When the Bengals get a crack against a couple more legitimate vertical passing teams, they'll blow that number up.

I don't know, Alice. Granted, Jamaal Charles is a big cut above the average RB out of the backfield, but it seems a lot of RB's are getting success out of the backfield. This is the area that is a hurt for us.  

Carter got to the passer in the preseason...in his limited snaps he has done nothing at all in the regular season so far. He also provides nothing at LB. I'd say he's far from safe, but also not the most likely to be cut.

No I'm right there with you.  The unfortunate thing is he'll need to be activated for live practice sessions before we know if those concussions are a recurring problem.  That's been my concern all along, although I wouldn't expect him to be 100% this year either way on account of the surgery.  Burfict at 75% would still be an improvement.

they really aren't.  Bengals only blitzed 17 times in the first 3 games, 12 times against the Chiefs.

Bengals have one of the least blitzing teams in the league thus far.

they really aren't.  Bengals only blitzed 17 times in the first 3 games, 12 times against the Chiefs.

Bengals have one of the least blitzing teams in the league thus far.

As defined by 5 or more crossing the LOS, or is that LB blitzes regardless of contain/coverage duties from the DL?

I'm looking at the depth chart on ESPN.  They have us carrying 4 QB's.  I'm assuming one

is on the practice squad.  Dalton, McCarron, Wenning and Mark Weisman??  Never heard 

of him!!  http://espn.go.com/nfl/team/depth/_/name/cin/cincinnati-bengals

My guess would be Lewis-Harris.  Unless someone gets hurt and a team is desperate 

for a project DE and we swing a trade for Margus Hunt for a 7th rounder or something

and open up a spot.  

Archived