Little released oh and Burfict activated.

The Burfict move for season's first roster change

Posted 49 minutes ago

052015-burfict-vontaze-art-2.jpg

Vontaze Burfict is expected to be wearing No. 55 Sunday and making his season debut in a limited role.

One of these days turned out to be Sunday against the Stealers (1 p.m.-Cincinnati’s Channel 12) at Heinz Field.

Vontaze Burfict, the Bengals Pro Bowl WILL linebacker, went from the practice field to the active roster Saturday in 48 hours when the club cut wide receiver Greg Little and replaced him by moving Burfict from the physically unable to perform list (PUP).

It took the Bengals 56 days to make a change to their 53-man roster and it was as big as it gets. Burfict is the guts of defensive coordinator Paul Guenther’s operation as his signal-caller and surest tackler. Before injuring his knee 53 weeks ago and undergoing micro fracture knee surgery, he led the Bengals in tackles in 2012 and again in 2013, when he led the league and made the Pro Bowl with his widely acclaimed instinctive play.

It’s believed Burfict is going to dress but as head coach Marvin Lewis said Friday, he’s not expected to play a full game because he’s not in football shape. He didn’t get medically cleared until Wednesday and has had only one full-scale practice under his belt. So it would be hard to see him playing more than 15 snaps or so.

Although he'll be in a limited role, it marks the first time the front seven from the No. 3 defense in 2013 has been re-united with a healthy Geno Atkins and the return of Michael Johnson up front.

After his first practice in more than a year Thursday, Burfict sounded a note of caution when he said, “Hopefully I can get out there and play on Sunday one of these days.”

But it is now full steam ahead. It will be interesting to see who Lewis sits from the roster on Sunday to make room for Burfict. The leading candidate would be the linebacker that has played the fewest snaps, rookie P.J. Dawson. But the Bengals would be losing a special teams player without adding one and a player that also plays Burfict’s spot. Until Burfict gets settled and his status becomes clearer, they may want to go with an extra backer.

But that’s probably going to be a game-time decision.

Although the Bengals cut Little after he didn’t dress for a game this season, they like him enough that they’d be looking at adding him if they needed him and he was available.

Burfict’s voracious competitiveness and relentless intensity have been his hallmarks as much as production, so there was only a little bit of caution.

“Of course I would want to go. I'm a football player. I'm competitive,” Burfict said after Thursday’s practice. “That's up to Marvin. My mind is to play, but like I said that's up to Marvin.”

On Friday Lewis said he was basing any decision on Burfict’s long-term health, as well as unanimity in the organization.

“I think about his career. That’s what I worry about,” Lewis said. “I’m not worried about our season. I worry about his career. “

“When everybody agrees he’s ready to play, he’ll play,” Lewis said. “But it’s got to be everybody.  That’s what I have to see. I have to see everybody in agreement . . . Medical, me and what we see as a football player.”

Although micro fracture surgery is viewed as dicey by some because reconstituting cartilage is still evolving, Burfict expressed confidence in how his knee felt after Thursday’s practice in shoulder pads.

“I would have never been out there practicing if I wasn't confident,” Burfict said. “The NFL is a physical game. I wouldn't want to go out there with a bad knee and having to do something else different to it. I feel confident in it and I'm able to break and accelerate and break down.”

Even before Burfict got hurt in the Oct. 26, 2014 win over Baltimore, he had been hounded by injuries all season, starting with a concussion in the opener that made him sit out a game and a cervical strain that put him out of another. But on Thursday he was thankful the long, winding road had stopped.  

“There were some hard days when I didn't feel like doing rehab, but Marvin made sure he calls me and made sure I get into the stadium,” Burfict said. “There were some hard days, but I'm here now and looking forward to playing a game.

“Teammates . . . kept pushing me. They knew when I was out of it. One day when I didn't feel like doing rehab and they'll just push me to do it. I've been pushed by teammates, coaches, Mr. (Mike) Brown and I thank them for it.”

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/The-Burfict-move-for-seasons-first-roster-change/5f1cc0fa-e1bf-408f-be50-fe397711c520

I would guess Greg will be back next week if they feel like they can give Burfict more snaps.  Can't cut Hawk just yet.  Greg is the only real insurance we have if Marvin gets hurt again.

I think this cut sends a pretty clear message that Mario Alford is that guy.  Otherwise they could have just cut Alford and stashed him on the practice squad.  The fact that Little was the one sent packing indicates that they think Alford is capable of stepping up if an injury occurs.

I think this cut sends a pretty clear message that Mario Alford is that guy.  Otherwise they could have just cut Alford and stashed him on the practice squad.  The fact that Little was the one sent packing indicates that they think Alford is capable of stepping up if an injury occurs.

What's that old adage, you can't teach speed?

That, and I think the staff may be indicating that Alford is ready to see how he works in real-time, with real bullets.  After all, he's the supposed X-Factor for our teams.  Adam Jones is really inspired because of his skills at cornerback and as as our premier punt returner...but if Alford can take that from Jones so that it's a bit less issue on him and Tate simutaneously,  all of a sudden we have another weapon that other teams can't help but to watch out for.   In essence, he could be our Devin Hester--the one that played for the Bears.   And sometimes nothing's a better shot in the arm than an kick or punt return for a TD and the other teams (mainly Pittsburgh) can't deal with all that...With so much for them to watch about us,  something is gonna get overlooked.....

I wish they'd move Alford to the game day squad and leave Tate on the bench. We know exactly what Tate brings. Almost nothing at all apart from 1 amazing catch in about 3 seasons. Whereas Alford has the speed to give Hester a run for his money.

Tate is a competent KR who knows the blocking schemes and never fumbles.  He also knows all the passing routes and if called on to play WR, will at least run to where Andy expects him to be.  I suspect the issue with Alford is that the coaching staff is not comfortable with his mastery of the mental game.  He's a huge upgrade physically, but if he doesn't know where his blockers will be on returns, or coughs up the ball, or leaves Andy hanging by running the wrong route on offense, then all that physical ability won't matter.

To me, it seems like they think he will get claimed at least as a KR.  Maybe you are right, but if something were to happen to Marvin or Mo this week, I would guess Greg would be back and active next week.

That, and I think the staff may be indicating that Alford is ready to see how he works in real-time, with real bullets.  After all, he's the supposed X-Factor for our teams.  Adam Jones is really inspired because of his skills at cornerback and as as our premier punt returner...but if Alford can take that from Jones so that it's a bit less issue on him and Tate simutaneously,  all of a sudden we have another weapon that other teams can't help but to watch out for.   In essence, he could be our Devin Hester--the one that played for the Bears.   And sometimes nothing's a better shot in the arm than an kick or punt return for a TD and the other teams (mainly Pittsburgh) can't deal with all that...With so much for them to watch about us,  something is gonna get overlooked.....

I'm not so sure about Alford being a difference maker at returner.  He's more straight-line fast than he is quick/shifty fast.  His  speed might serve him well at KR where the returner is usually just asked to explode upfield as quickly as possibly, but great PR guys tend to be more shifty than fast. 

Tate is a competent KR who knows the blocking schemes and never fumbles.  He also knows all the passing routes and if called on to play WR, will at least run to where Andy expects him to be.  I suspect the issue with Alford is that the coaching staff is not comfortable with his mastery of the mental game.  He's a huge upgrade physically, but if he doesn't know where his blockers will be on returns, or coughs up the ball, or leaves Andy hanging by running the wrong route on offense, then all that physical ability won't matter.

T'aint runs horizontally to the sidelines faster than anyone in the NFL after catching the ball.  I've seen enough and would like to see what Mario has to offer.

T'aint runs horizontally to the sidelines faster than anyone in the NFL after catching the ball.  I've seen enough and would like to see what Mario has to offer.

I'd like to see what Alford has to offer too, but the coaching staff clearly doesn't feel the same way.  Bengals fans also tend to overstate how bad Tate is at returning kicks.  For the most part, the Bengals have been about league-average when it comes to kick returns during his career.  He does an adequate job.  I'll grant you that 'adequate' is boring and frustrating when there are better athletes sitting on the bench, but clearly the Bengals coaches prefer dependable and boring over inconsistent but occasionally brilliant.

I'd like to see what Alford has to offer too, but the coaching staff clearly doesn't feel the same way.  Bengals fans also tend to overstate how bad Tate is at returning kicks.  For the most part, the Bengals have been about league-average when it comes to kick returns during his career.  He does an adequate job.  I'll grant you that 'adequate' is boring and frustrating when there are better athletes sitting on the bench, but clearly the Bengals coaches prefer dependable and boring over inconsistent but occasionally brilliant.

I agree. It isn't flashy or spectacular but the combo of Tate and Jones has had some big plays to position us for wins over the last few years. Alford may very well develop into a bigger threat to break one in the future but I am of the belief you don't fix what ain't broke. I agree with a previous poster also that as a receiver Tate may not have done much, but he has worked in the system and if you have an injury, a system savvy vet trumps an unknown, late round, rookie every time.

I wish they'd move Alford to the game day squad and leave Tate on the bench. We know exactly what Tate brings. Almost nothing at all apart from 1 amazing catch in about 3 seasons. Whereas Alford has the speed to give Hester a run for his money.

Maybe they'll start doing this in a few weeks after we clinch the division ?

I would argue Tate is incompetent.  Every fucking game the fool runs out balls kicked 8 yards deep and gets tacked at the 10 yard line.  He rarely breaks off any long returns and always looks like he's ready to fumble the ball.    He had 1 decent catch this year otherwise he is useless as a receiver (remember his miserable performance in the playoffs last year ?).  Fuck him 

I would argue Tate is incompetent.  Every fucking game the fool runs out balls kicked 8 yards deep and gets tacked at the 10 yard line.  He rarely breaks off any long returns and always looks like he's ready to fumble the ball.    He had 1 decent catch this year otherwise he is useless as a receiver (remember his miserable performance in the playoffs last year ?).  Fuck him 

I remember a lot of terrible performances in last years playoff game. Looking like he is going to fumble and actually fumbling are not the same thing. Would hate to see an uptight rookie returning a punt deep in our end of the field in a huge game where on e or two key plays can be the difference in the game. For my money with our offense, get a safe, decent return and let Andy and the boys take care of the rest.Besides we have Jones if we really need a spark, don't have anyone better than him on the roster in my opinion.

For my money with our offense, get a safe, decent return and let Andy and the boys take care of the rest.

As Arkansas Bengal so rightly said, getting a decent return from Tate is a miracle. Hesitant, runs from under the goalposts, sideways, tackled at the 10. He's terrible.

As Arkansas Bengal so rightly said, getting a decent return from Tate is a miracle. Hesitant, runs from under the goalposts, sideways, tackled at the 10. He's terrible.

You guys are so full of shit.  He's only returned 8 kicks all season, so that really doesn't matter.  He's here as the second PR, where he's the 8th rated guy at over 10 yards a return, and he's great at knowing when to fair catch.  Nobody keeps a player just to be a KR anymore.

Archived