Buzz: Bengals Ownership Growing Impatient with HC Lewis

I am embarrassed by you for this statement and the 5 who voted it up. Marvin is such the idiot . I wonder why such well respected coaches such as mike Zimmer copy some of his ideas.

Zimmer hasn't won anything and maybe it is Gunther and Marvin who are copying Zimmer.  The Bengal's defense was terrible UNTIL Zimmer got here.  

Coley HarveyESPN Staff Writer 

As first reported by NFL.com's Mike Silver, a source confirms the Bengals and Marvin Lewis have agreed to a one-year contract extension that will run through 2017. The agreement was reached last Saturday.

That should not be a surprise.  Marvin has been a very good regular season coach. 

Is it Marvin's fault that in 2005 our QB went down on the second play of the game, in 2014 we were playing without half our offense, and in 2015 without our starting QB (and were still a non-call on Porter away from winning)?

Agreed. If the HC successfully preps his team every single year to win 9-12 games and make the playoffs. Then he doesn't magically forget how to prep them for one game. The playoff loses are due to the players, whether it be injury or just not performing. This city has such an obsession with using a scapegoat for everything and is usually clueless.

Agreed. If the HC successfully preps his team every single year to win 9-12 games and make the playoffs. Then he doesn't magically forget how to prep them for one game. The playoff loses are due to the players, whether it be injury or just not performing. This city has such an obsession with using a scapegoat for everything and is usually clueless.

so the playoffs losses are due to ther players but the regular season is due to Marvin? Smh.    

Zimmer hasn't won anything and maybe it is Gunther and Marvin who are copying Zimmer.  The Bengal's defense was terrible UNTIL Zimmer got here.  

I'm sure Geno Atkins Carlos Dunlap Vontaze Burfict (who Zimmer didn't want) et al had nothing to do with that either. Cmon now. There's been no fall off since Zimmer left when the roster on that side of the ball has been at full strength.

I think Ben Raperherburger said the same thing about hitting on drunk girls in bars.

Or maybe it was masturbation.

Or both.

You know Benny.

Sure, hide the livestock.

All kidding aside (heyoooo)  there were rumors about him in Oxford when he was still playing college ball & they extend back to his HS days. 

But the NFL routinely ignores it's "in the grasp" sack rule for QB's because Big Jen's herpaderp is entertaining, in the interest of player safety of course, & therefore he is a tough competitor and HoF QB.

And Burfict, you'll recall, is literally Hitler.  

Which tell us how the NFL views rape vs a microsecond late hit.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/25548212/heres-why-hue-jackson-left-the-bengals-to-take-the-browns-job

There's an extra layer of complexity added to the Friday afternoon contract extension Marvin Lewis received from the Bengals. Turns out, Browns coach and former Cincy offensive coordinator Hue Jackson was nearly involved.

According to Mike Silver on NFL Network, when discussing contract extensions, Lewis went to Bengals owner Mike Brown and offered him a deal that involved a succession plan for Jackson.

But Brown didn't want to put anything in writing guaranteeing Jackson a job in two years and the talented offensive coordinator bolted.

"With Hue Jackson, his offensive coordinator, a hot head coaching candidate, Marvin Lewis went to Hue Jackson and together they hatched a plan that would have kept Hue Jackson on with a two-year succession plan at which point Marvin Lewis would step down," Silver said. "They went and shopped that to owner Mike Brown, who did not want to put that in writing."

Clearly Jackson, part of an ever-growing coaching tree for Lewis that includes multiple head coaches (Jay Gruden of the Redskins, Mike Zimmer of the Vikings and Jackson), liked the idea of remaining in Cincinnati and being groomed to take over.

It sounds like Brown was interested too, but just didn't want to guarantee it. Nothing wrong with that -- lots of things can change in two years.

What's interesting about this is two things for Marvin. One, as Silver notes, he does have more job security than people realize. He's the second-longest tenured coach in the NFL and, despite not having a playoff win on his resume, he's turned the Bengals around. Lewis is all but guaranteed to get two more years on his current contract if he wants.

The other thing is the possibility Lewis wants to walk away after that deal. There was a theory this season about Lewis moving into a front-office role after the year was over and handing the reigns to Jackson. Maybe this was the play Lewis wanted to set up?

Either way it's possible he's considering the idea of changing up his role with the Bengals as he approaches the age of 60.

Whatever happens it won't involve Jackson after Brown passed on locking him in. The AFC North development of competition between Cincinnati and Cleveland will be fascinating to watch over the next few years.

Thinking about the talent that was possibly squandered over these past 12 years makes me ill, so I prefer not to. Marv will be here as long as he wants to be, sadly I've come to terms with that. The final straw (in my opinion) should have been the home playoff loss to SD.

Damn! Don't remind me of that loss., but truth be said that was on Dalton & Gio. Odd that all our playoff losses have come due to damn fumbles. In not one of those losses were we outplayed whole handedly. I don't know the stats but it's been pretty much. 7 fumbles in 7 losses.

Your ass is showing.....again

Proof that you can never fully trust every thing you see/hear from the media

Fully trust?  I don't even partially trust the media.  A large majority of them are scumbags of the highest order who willfully lie to bring in attention.  That's grimey.  

so the playoffs losses are due to ther players but the regular season is due to Marvin? Smh.    

Players consistently failing to do what they normally do when facing high pressure situations? Yep sounds like a common thing in some athletes. Phil Mickelson didn't fail in his preparation but for years failed in the biggest moments in his career. Then finally broke through it. There is a LONG LONG history of athletes who have that issue. That is what separates greatness.

Marvin is a playoff choker.  Even an average  team wins 1 out of 7 games and the cold hard fact is Marvin drops way too many winnable regular season games which results in us never getting a bye.

Bingo. I traveled to Arizona to watch the team mount an impressive comeback only to give it back to the Cardinals with less than 2 minutes left. Bad play calls and a penalty to give Arizona a chip shot field goal to win the game. I'll be hoping for the best as always, but it's not just playoff failures we're talking about. Marvin puts a great team on the field, 8-0 spoke to that. Then the team loses to Houston, Arizona, Pittsburgh, and Denver in the second half. Crunch time. Important games. Teams have made adjustments, studied film, start knowing the true implications of the games they're playing. I've been furious with Marvin more than once, but I know he's a good Coach. Once again I'll be hoping this is the year he develops an instinct for sudden death football, primetime football, and games with playoff implications. Even probability says he should have won a playoff game by now. Yeah, we weren't favored in all those games, but neither were some of the teams that beat us when we were.

Bingo. I traveled to Arizona to watch the team mount an impressive comeback only to give it back to the Cardinals with less than 2 minutes left. Bad play calls and a penalty to give Arizona a chip shot field goal to win the game. I'll be hoping for the best as always, but it's not just playoff failures we're talking about. Marvin puts a great team on the field, 8-0 spoke to that. Then the team loses to Houston, Arizona, Pittsburgh, and Denver in the second half. Crunch time. Important games. Teams have made adjustments, studied film, start knowing the true implications of the games they're playing. I've been furious with Marvin more than once, but I know he's a good Coach. Once again I'll be hoping this is the year he develops an instinct for sudden death football, primetime football, and games with playoff implications. Even probability says he should have won a playoff game by now. Yeah, we weren't favored in all those games, but neither were some of the teams that beat us when we were.

You literally just described the coordinators jobs in game. 

Hill and Tez had a lot to do with the playoff loss last season. Just saying.

The season before it was a damn miracle (credit to Marvin) they made the playoffs at all with the laundry list of injuries.

After 13 years there's one thing that is constant,  it's not the players , it's not the coordinators it's the head coach.    And still no playoff victories.  

Are you sure it's not the uniforms? They've had the same uniforms for 13 years & still  no playoff victories.  Maybe it's the Skyline chili.  They've served Skyline chili the entire time & no playoff victories.  Wait, maybe it's YOU?  Do YOU have any playoff victories?

Archived