Tez Suspension?

26 minutes ago, thezerawkid said:

Let me turn some of the hyperbolic questions put to me in this thread back on some of you guys challenging me so hard here: are you suggesting that Vontaze Burfict had done little to nothing to deserve the league keeping a closer eye on his play and conduct?

Not at all; what I take issue with is the way he is being singled out for punishment.  When they're fining him for things that didn't happen and picking up flags for other guys caught trying to gouge eyes I have zero respect for their bullshit selective conduct policy and double standards.  Why should he be expected to adhere to rules that don't apply to everyone?  The Stealers have gotten away with this sort of shit for decades but somehow Burfict is beyond the pale? Get real.  Suspend that piece of shit Mitchell & then talk to me about Burfict's history.

3 minutes ago, thezerawkid said:

That's fine. We don't disagree. 

So, stop parsing my words looking for intent that isn't there, taking out your frustration on me.

I get why you're mad, I am too. But, I try to at least keep some realistic perspective.

Wasn't my intention.  There's a lot of prevaricating going on around here re: this topic.  This "The NFL isn't biased but we deserve the NFL bias" stuff is a little frustrating.

31 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

Wasn't my intention.  There's a lot of prevaricating going on around here re: this topic.  This "The NFL isn't biased but we deserve the NFL bias" stuff is a little frustrating.

Fair enough.

Just to clarify, and I only mention this because it's what keeps me from going crazy, I don't condone bias in sport, ever, but if a singular player we have EVER had as part of our franchise were going to be under a microscope because of his temperament while playing the game, unfortunately, it is Burfict. I get it. 

I thought with Haslett coming in, Burfict would be able to take a step towards maturity. I still think perhaps he has, as I think this fine for "stomping" is actual, utter horse manure. I liked him and Pacman doing the goading, not the aggression, against the Pats. I think that, along with more consistent play can make for a better identity for this team.

OT, sort of, but I find it amusing

Stealers ask NFL to review Ndamukong Suh kick to Ben Roethlisberger

4:24 PM ET

ESPN.com news services 

The Pittsburgh Stealers have filed a complaint with the NFL and asked the league to review a play at the end of Sunday's gameCry.gifin which Miami Dolphins defensive tackle Ndamukong Suh kicked quarterback Ben Roethlisberger's leg, the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette reported.

In the play in question, Suh is engaged with Stealers guard David DeCastro and then kicks out his right leg and makes contact with Roethlisberger's right leg. The Stealers sent video of the play to the NFL, the newspaper reported, citing a source.

"I'm not sure what he was thinking," DeCastro said, according to the newspaper. "You'd have to ask him what he was thinking. I heard Ben saying 'He kicked me,' but I didn't really see it until we watched the film."

Roethlisberger injured his left knee during Sunday's game and could miss four to six weeks after having surgery for a torn meniscus, sources told ESPN's Chris Mortensen on Wednesday.

Roethlisberger suffered the injury in the first half of Sunday's 30-15 loss to the Dolphins. He missed one series and then returned to play the entire second half, finishing 19-of-34 for 189 yards, one touchdown and two interceptions.

On ‎18‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 11:14 PM, LostInDaJungle said:

I disagree that the media is guilty of a double standard. There's a line and Tez has crossed it too many times.

In Canadian - Can't blame the papers, eh? Guys a hoser. Just 'cause he ain't a squatch no more don't mean he's got any strawberry in his jam buster. Looks like he's going to book off work for a week or two and be short a bunch of loonies, eh? Guy's totally hooped. Time to get a double-double and smell the Timkins.  Something something poutine.

LOL...well done.

So, you don't think the media would be all over his dong if he was a Steeler or a Patriot? They absolutely would be. The picture they would paint would be drastically different. Does Burfict deserve his current media depiction? Absolutely. He's a dirty player whose after the whistle, extra curricular bullshit is brutal. BUT...if he was on the roster of one of the league's golden children, he'd be getting a LOT more love.

1 hour ago, BengalFanInTO said:

LOL...well done.

So, you don't think the media would be all over his dong if he was a Steeler or a Patriot? They absolutely would be. The picture they would paint would be drastically different. Does Burfict deserve his current media depiction? Absolutely. He's a dirty player whose after the whistle, extra curricular bullshit is brutal. BUT...if he was on the roster of one of the league's golden children, he'd be getting a LOT more love.

If he played for the Stealers: Hard Nosed player that plays to the whistle and instills fear in opposing WR.  Leader in the locker room.  Good 'ol stiller football.

9 hours ago, SF2 said:

Guys, as much as I hate the Patriots,  Goodell suspended their 1st ballot HOF QB for not handing over his cell phone for 4 games.  That is crazy.  

The cold heart fact is Goodell is a fucking dick.

The interesting thing about that IMO is that he wasn't punished for cheating in the playoffs so much as challenging Goodell's authority. 

On 10/20/2016 at 10:30 PM, BengalFanInTO said:

LOL...well done.

It's his history, and the fact that he does stuff after the whistle.

I think if a Steeler or Partiot came into the league with his reputation and started twisting Cam Newton's ankle when he's trying to get up... Absolutely. 

Suh got a lot of flack for stomping on an opponent... He didn't back that up by doing it over and over again.

In politics, opposition research is most effective when it reinforces a perception you already have of someone. Burfict is labeled as a dirty player. When he acts in a way that reinforces that, and seems unable or unwilling to control himself when he knows he's under the microscope... You have the former head of NFL officials saying he should be suspended for a year so he wises up or gets cut. If you think ESPN has a bias, they're being pretty reserved compared to general fan reaction from other clubs.

Also, the Bengals under Marvin Lewis have been a train wreck of arrests, etc... So our club also has an image problem. Maybe if we did have the Patriots or Stealers reputation... But we don't. We pick up guys like Pac-Man and have him hitting women outside of a club. We're not that far removed from Chris Henry, and Odell Thurman. It wasn't that long ago that the jokes were about all of the arrests our club was racking up.

If Burfict played for either of those clubs... Would you still defend Burfict's actions?

17 minutes ago, LostInDaJungle said:

It's his history, and the fact that he does stuff after the whistle.

I think if a Steeler or Partiot came into the league with his reputation and started twisting Cam Newton's ankle when he's trying to get up... Absolutely. 

Suh got a lot of flack for stomping on an opponent... He didn't back that up by doing it over and over again.

In politics, opposition research is most effective when it reinforces a perception you already have of someone. Burfict is labeled as a dirty player. When he acts in a way that reinforces that, and seems unable or unwilling to control himself when he knows he's under the microscope... You have the former head of NFL officials saying he should be suspended for a year so he wises up or gets cut. If you think ESPN has a bias, they're being pretty reserved compared to general fan reaction from other clubs.

Also, the Bengals under Marvin Lewis have been a train wreck of arrests, etc... So our club also has an image problem. Maybe if we did have the Patriots or Stealers reputation... But we don't. We pick up guys like Pac-Man and have him hitting women outside of a club. We're not that far removed from Chris Henry, and Odell Thurman. It wasn't that long ago that the jokes were about all of the arrests our club was racking up.

If Burfict played for either of those clubs... Would you still defend Burfict's actions?

:thumbsup:

7 minutes ago, LostInDaJungle said:

I don't defend Burfict's actions. I said in my original post that he's exactly who everyone thought he was entering the draft. A field thug. No one should be surprised. I hate the after the whistle stuff that he does. Having said that, I will take the guy on my team any day.

Don't worry, he'll be run out of the league soon enough at this rate. Then the next time someone headhunts Gio & knocks him out cold or tries to gouge out Shawn Williams' eye or breaks our punter's neck on a cheap shot, instead of Burfict possibly retaliating you all can clap along with Marvin about how quietly our guys take a beating.  I mean our players may not have beat the shit out of their wives & gf's on camera, shot, mugged, or raped anyone, but Odell Thurman maybe had a drinking problem 10 years ago so obviously these thug Bengals deserve to be Goodell's whipping boy franchise indefinitely. The important thing here is that we have an opportunity to be sanctimonious on the internet.  Serves 'em right!

3 hours ago, T-Dub said:

Don't worry, he'll be run out of the league soon enough at this rate. Then the next time someone headhunts Gio & knocks him out cold or tries to gouge out Shawn Williams' eye or breaks our punter's neck on a cheap shot, instead of Burfict possibly retaliating you all can clap along with Marvin about how quietly our guys take a beating.  I mean our players may not have beat the shit out of their wives & gf's on camera, shot, mugged, or raped anyone, but Odell Thurman maybe had a drinking problem 10 years ago so obviously these thug Bengals deserve to be Goodell's whipping boy franchise indefinitely. The important thing here is that we have an opportunity to be sanctimonious on the internet.  Serves 'em right!

For all the good it does us...I hope it makes you feel better. ?

On 10/20/2016 at 5:05 PM, T-Dub said:

Then change your reading of it. No one is completely unbiased. And past results belie future performance.

Yes, the NFL does have a bias towards clubs that have a reputation for holding their players to a high standard and keeping them out of trouble. They have an inherent negative bias towards clubs that have a long history of taking chances on troubled players and them remaining troubled.

Furthermore, they keep an eye on the guys who have been in trouble before. They get less benefit of the doubt. 

The conversation doesn't have to live at the two extremes... The game isn't rigged in anyone's favor, the NFL isn't sending down a memo before each game saying "Make sure the Bengals lose". It's also not officiated by robots, so normal and inevitable human biases will come into play. Yes, the media plays a role, but they speak to the fans of all 32 teams, not just us. If Dean Blandino comes out and says that Tez should be suspended for the year, that's an opinion that gets reported on.

If I see any massive difference in the media, it's that former Stealers like Cowher have a large platform and suck their old team off on the regular while our ex-players (Boomer and Collinsworth) almost always take the negative. Other than that.... It's kind of an old story. "Massive shitheel does massive shitheel thing" practically writes itself. Attach a video and a scathing opinion and count the clicks.

I don't CARE what Gronk did. I don't care what Blount did. You don't walk into the pile while the refs are trying to break it up. If you're subway Jared, you don't hang out around pre-schools either. 

20 minutes ago, LostInDaJungle said:

Then change your reading of it. No one is completely unbiased. And past results belie future performance.

Yes, the NFL does have a bias towards clubs that make them the most money

FTFY.

Quit trying to convince yourself this is all based on merit

I don't CARE what Gronk did. I don't care what Blount did

Neither does the NFL.  You don't see that as a problem?

Archived