Bengals vs Panthers analysis

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/nfl/bengals/2018/09/18/pro-football-focus-deep-dive-cincinnati-bengals-carolina-panthers/1351073002/

Pro Football Focus deep dive: Cincinnati Bengals at Carolina Panthers

Paul Dehner Jr., Cincinnati Enquirer  <---- Cincinnati Enquirer sports reporter adds some legitimacy to the dreaded PFF

This week the Bengals (2-0) travel to Charlotte to play the Carolina Panthers (1-1), who lost at Atlanta last week, 31-24. The Panthers opened the season with a 16-8 victory against the Dallas Cowboys at home.  

Let’s take a deeper analytical look at both teams.

Notable Bengals

OFFENSE

John Ross (49.0). Of the eight Bengals targeted in the passing game, Ross, Gio Bernard and Tyler Kroft are the only players without a reception of at least 20 yards. He’s only caught two passes, and one came for a three-year touchdown but his lack of overall production comes at six targets. His time will come as the season progresses, but an oddity that despite a number of explosive plays for this offense through two games, Ross hasn’t been one of them.

DEFENSE

Geno Atkins (88.0). Not surprisingly, through two games Atkins has been among the most disruptive interior defenders in the league. His 12 pressures ranks third among his position group behind Philadelphia’s Fletcher Cox (13) and Minnesota’s Sheldon Richardson (13). He also leads the team. Second on the list are Carlos Dunlap and Carl Lawson, both tied at 10.

Cincinnati Bengals quarterback Andy Dalton (14) waits for his introduction before the first quarter of the NFL Week 2 game between the Cincinnati Bengals and the Baltimore Ravens at Paul Brown Stadium in downtown Cincinnati on Thursday, Sept. 13, 2018. The Bengals led 28-14 at halftime.

Cincinnati Bengals quarterback Andy Dalton (14) waits for his introduction before the first quarter of the NFL Week 2 game between the Cincinnati Bengals and the Baltimore Ravens at Paul Brown Stadium in downtown Cincinnati on Thursday, Sept. 13, 2018. The Bengals led 28-14 at halftime. (Photo: Sam Greene)

QB Analytics

A knock on Andy Dalton throughout his career revolved around not playing well enough under pressure. So far this year, he’s been among the best in the NFL. Dalton ranks fifth in the league in passer rating while under pressure at 100.1. He’s completed 10 of 19 passes for 187 yards and two touchdowns. He was intercepted once, threw a pass away and had another dropped.

Opponent numbers of note

Ryan Kalil. At age 33, it’s been a rough first two games for the veteran center. He’s battled injuries the last few years but in 916 snaps the last two years he gave up only 17 pressures. Through the first two games and 134 snaps of this season, he’s already given up five pressures including a sack.

Cam Newton. The Panthers quarterback has all the physical skills you could want, including a big body and live arm but thus far he hasn’t taken advantage of throwing the ball down the field. In fact, he’s not completed a single pass thrown 20-plus yards in the air this year. He’s 0 for 6. The vast majority of his throws have come within 10 yards of the line of scrimmage or behind it and over the middle. He’s thrown 30 passes in that spot and only 16 to the outsides.

Bengals wide receiver A.J. Green scored three touchdowns prior to halftime in the Bengals' 34-23 win against the Baltimore Ravens. The Enquirer / Pat Brennan

Christian McCaffery. He catches pass all over the field as Carolina loves to use him in the passing game, but one portion of the field he’s rarely gone is to the left. Of his 22 targets, only two came to the left side of the offensive formation. Also, only one time did McCaffery go deep this season with the pass thrown his way and it ended up incomplete.

Premium stat of the week

Run stop percentage

This stat focuses solely on running plays and stops. You don’t need stats to know Carolina linebacker and St. Xavier product Luke Kuechly is a beast. But the run-stop percentage is an interesting one to watch in this game. First, Kuechly leads the NFL in total run stops for an offensive failure with eight. He ranked in the top 10 in run stop percentage last year and is back there through two games this year. An interesting name is second on the list among linebackers this year, though, and that’s Jordan Evans. The Bengals linebacker is only bested by C.J. Mosley with a stop on 25 percent of run plays seen.

5 minutes ago, schotzee said:

Running game helps qb stay clean too no?

I mean sure, but we've done without it enough.   They do have a bad run D so far though now that I check so if we can't get that going it's probably part of a bigger problem (our OL is still p bad)

19 hours ago, Numbers said:

How about this analysis... 

Bengals have NO running game = Loss

Bengals have running game = Win

That's generally pretty true, however my extensive research is producing results that indicate that ultimately, the team that manages to score more points than the other typically wins the contest.

18 hours ago, cpalmer2004 said:

I was curious about RB walton.

He seems like a Gio clone bengals line said he cuts back to much in preseason 25 carries for 24 yards. Mccshay liked him, however he might not even play.

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2018/5/2/17302204/nfl-draft-2018-todd-mcshay-mark-walton-bengals-best-value-pick

McShay thought Blaine Gabbert was a stud coming out of college and thought he was worthy of a top 5 pick

16 hours ago, Bunghole said:

That's generally pretty true, however my extensive research is producing results that indicate that ultimately, the team that manages to score more points than the other typically wins the contest.

Do you have some documentation and data to back up the theory of yours?

6 hours ago, T-Dub said:

I do, but your pitiful normie brain couldn't possibly comprehend my statistukul analcyst

-PFF

I think that deep down on a fundamental level, SF2 understands the basic concept of one team outscoring another. Since he's a known converted Stealers fan though, I'd suggest:

constant monitoring and surveillance

forced to watch Bengals games with eyes forced open ala' A Clockwork Orange

he needs waterboarded on occasion. preferably administered by Rick

...and any and all assorted sundries...

2 hours ago, Bunghole said:

I think that deep down on a fundamental level, SF2 understands the basic concept of one team outscoring another. Since he's a known converted Stealers fan though, I'd suggest:

SF2=stealers fan too? :39: I had my suspicions about him. :biggrin::steelerssuck:

3 hours ago, Bunghole said:

I give this post a +1.37 grade, which (as always) completely confirms what I thought about it beforehand.  Opinions with a decimal point are statistics.

-PFF

6 hours ago, Bunghole said:

Math is hard.

Archived