Should the Bengals trade AJ Green?

13 hours ago, UncleEarl said:

Premature.  He needs another 4-5 years of high end production to be HOF material. 

I disagree, he's been one of the top 5 players at his position for 5-6 years, those guys typically get HOF consideration. 

Winning a playoff game or 3 would definitely help, but he's in consideration...imo

3 hours ago, SF2 said:

AJ Green will be an unrestricted free agent at the end of the year.  His marketability is pretty low at this point since any team taking him will either have to: 1. sign him to a new big contract to keep him or 2. let him go at the end of the year.  He has only played 6 games in the last year the last being a 1 catch effort in game 12 last year until they shut him down for the season.

That said a team is not going to give up much unless they have no doubt he will return to form and they can sign him.  It is highly unlikely any team would give up much to rent him for a 8-10 games.  Until he gets back on the field and looks like the AJ Green of old, I doubt any team will give up much. 

Also, the idea that Green is a marketable face for this franchise is suspect.  He has been a great but quiet player here.  And the reality is until this franchise actually wins, marketing won't do much for it unless it includes free beer and strippers.  

Did someone say free beer and strippers?  😍

1 hour ago, PatternMaster said:

I disagree, he's been one of the top 5 players at his position for 5-6 years, those guys typically get HOF consideration. 

Winning a playoff game or 3 would definitely help, but he's in consideration...imo

How much consideration is Chad Johnson getting?

3 hours ago, SF2 said:

AJ Green will be an unrestricted free agent at the end of the year.  His marketability is pretty low at this point since any team taking him will either have to: 1. sign him to a new big contract to keep him or 2. let him go at the end of the year.  He has only played 6 games in the last year the last being a 1 catch effort in game 12 last year until they shut him down for the season.

That said a team is not going to give up much unless they have no doubt he will return to form and they can sign him.  It is highly unlikely any team would give up much to rent him for a 8-10 games.  Until he gets back on the field and looks like the AJ Green of old, I doubt any team will give up much. 

Also, the idea that Green is a marketable face for this franchise is suspect.  He has been a great but quiet player here.  And the reality is until this franchise actually wins, marketing won't do much for it unless it includes free beer and strippers.  

Suspect? Go around PBS and count the number of #18 jerseys. Go to NFL.com shop--what player/player's gear do you see illustrated? Ask someone in North Dakota if they can name one Bengal player...who do you think that would be? 

You are looking at this from a drafting profit/loss. I am looking at it as a marketing profit/loss--emphasis on loss.   

4 hours ago, PatternMaster said:

He is 67th all-time in receiving yards.  He isn't even close yet. Tory Holt and Irving Fryer both have over 4000 more yards receiving and they are not in.  He has never even been an All-Pro.

2 hours ago, Le Tigre said:

Suspect? Go around PBS and count the number of #18 jerseys. Go to NFL.com shop--what player/player's gear do you see illustrated? Ask someone in North Dakota if they can name one Bengal player...who do you think that would be? 

You are looking at this from a drafting profit/loss. I am looking at it as a marketing profit/loss--emphasis on loss.   

Andy Dalton or Devon Still too...

Leading the Bengals' to a surprising 6-4 start, Bengals' rookie Quarterback Andy Dalton has won his way to fan favoritism. 
A second round draft pick by the team, Dalton has overachieved in the eyes of many and shows great promise for a very bright future.

The runner-up in Bengals' jersey sales just so happens to be his standout rookie counterpart, wide receiver and 1st round draft pick AJ Green.

More of Devon Still's jersey No. 75 jerseys had been sold (up to 2014) than any jersey featuring any other Bengals player ever.

2 hours ago, Le Tigre said:

PBS??  Green is the top selling Bengals jersey at #47.  And you missed my original point, nobody cares about the Bengals or their players outside of Cincy so for local marketing Green is ok but the fact is come next Sunday when the Cardinals show up, the stadium will be half empty if we lose to Pittsburgh. 

BTW, I don't see any reason to get rid of AJ unless its a great deal for the Bengals, no reason to but we need to sign or tag him.

Correct: nobody outside of Cincinnati gives a hoot about the Bengals. However, even the tepid support around still focuses on a player or players who are recognizable--perhaps even giving off a hint of national recognition. 

Set the jerseys aside for a moment, just go around and ask John Q AverageFan to name a Bengal player. It would be a solid bet that they will (in no particular order and if they can name a player) say: AJ, Daton, and Geno. They will likely not know or care if they are over 30, injured, throw interceptions, or fail to get a sack a game. If they were going to actually purchase tickets and attend, or even turn on the TV and watch, they will do so to view the people they know about. 

Believe me, being in the stadium and listening to the JQAF's around me, confirms all of that. 

3 hours ago, Le Tigre said:

Correct: nobody outside of Cincinnati gives a hoot about the Bengals. However, even the tepid support around still focuses on a player or players who are recognizable--perhaps even giving off a hint of national recognition. 

Set the jerseys aside for a moment, just go around and ask John Q AverageFan to name a Bengal player. It would be a solid bet that they will (in no particular order and if they can name a player) say: AJ, Daton, and Geno. They will likely not know or care if they are over 30, injured, throw interceptions, or fail to get a sack a game. If they were going to actually purchase tickets and attend, or even turn on the TV and watch, they will do so to view the people they know about. 

Believe me, being in the stadium and listening to the JQAF's around me, confirms all of that. 

I don’t disagree with this but it is getting to the point attendance wise that even those guys can’t help the level of Apathy that has taken over the city when it comes to the Reds and Bengals. I no longer see any kids wearing Bengals jerseys,only a few older guys on occasion.  In 2005-07 they were everywhere. 

I was with two buddies tonight watching the game. One raised in Connecticut (Patriots) the other outside Cleveland(Browns). Start talking Browns and he said only the media thinks the team will do anything this year. The fans all know this team will shit itself just like every other year.  Said they sacrificed their o line for a crybaby wideout. Apathy can only be broken with winning. 

Quite true. Guess then there would be a whole new set of shirts for JQAF. 

Speaking of JQABrownieFan: here in Columbus, Baker/OBJ shirts are EVERYWHERE...kids and older men alike. 1-2 and they still are on display in abundance. That's the power of marketing--even over winning--for ya. 

44 minutes ago, Le Tigre said:

Quite true. Guess then there would be a whole new set of shirts for JQAF. 

Speaking of JQABrownieFan: here in Columbus, Baker/OBJ shirts are EVERYWHERE...kids and older men alike. 1-2 and they still are on display in abundance. That's the power of marketing--even over winning--for ya. 

I don’t doubt that if we signed a high profile FA like OBJ or Mack there would be a good bump in interest.  I still remember the initial excitement of signing Palmer only to waste it by never playing him the entire first year. 

I still remember when Shula was fired at 1-6 and Coslet finished the season 7-2. The excitement for the next season was big. They started off 1-7. The next season they went 3-13. Brutal. 

18 minutes ago, SF2 said:

I don’t doubt that if we signed a high profile FA like OBJ or Mack there would be a good bump in interest.  I still remember the initial excitement of signing Palmer only to waste it by never playing him the entire first year. 

I still remember when Shula was fired at 1-6 and Coslet finished the season 7-2. The excitement for the next season was big. They started off 1-7. The next season they went 3-13. Brutal. 

ahh.. memories 

I think some folks are sorely underestimating the value AJ Green could command on the market.  His injury won't kill that, and he's not a grandfather yet either.  A 3rd round pick is a really crappy deal.  I don't think we could hope for a 1+3 or something, but at the very least a second round pick should be attainable.

8 hours ago, OU_Stripes said:

I think some folks are sorely underestimating the value AJ Green could command on the market.  His injury won't kill that, and he's not a grandfather yet either.  A 3rd round pick is a really crappy deal.  I don't think we could hope for a 1+3 or something, but at the very least a second round pick should be attainable.

It has nothing to do with his market value, it has to do with the fact the Bengals don’t control that value. He is in the last year of his contract, teams are not giving up a bunch of high picks for a guy they only control for maybe 10 games. 

23 minutes ago, SouthPaw said:

Just read he is out atleast 3 more games as well.  I have always said it, and mostly blamed it on the old regime, but something is just so odd about this team with injuries.  Nobody ever seems to come back when they are scheduled to.  Strange.  

Not that strange for AJ.  0-3 team and he is in the last year of his contract.  He starts playing week 8, puts up some AJ Green type numbers and hits the open market.  Even if his goal is to stay in Cincy, it will give him leverage for more money IF he plays well the second half of the season.  The other reality is wide receivers need to be near 100% lower body wise to be effective in the NFL.  He has to regain his speed and leaping ability before he steps on the field.  I assume that will take some time. 

3 minutes ago, SF2 said:

Not that strange for AJ.  0-3 team and he is in the last year of his contract.  He starts playing week 8, puts up some AJ Green type numbers and hits the open market.  Even if his goal is to stay in Cincy, it will give him leverage for more money IF he plays well the second half of the season.  The other reality is wide receivers need to be near 100% lower body wise to be effective in the NFL.  He has to regain his speed and leaping ability before he steps on the field.  I assume that will take some time. 

Yeah, most definitely the record at this point is effecting that.  It just seems different with him.  He seems to like it here and wants to be here.  They know what they have in him.  He still has elite skills when healthy.  I just figured a deal would have already been in place.  Who knows.  

Who would accept a trade for him?

His last two injuries, have been significant.

He has a surgery repaired big toe on one foot, and a surgery repaired ankle on the other.

No one will trade for him.

Sadly, this is probably him and Dalton's year together.

Archived